BlessedNotBurdened. BeautyIsStruggle's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Who would be the correct physician to see ?

Well I've been exhibiting many of the symptoms of PCOS, except irregular menstrual cycles.
    ( excessive hair growth, hair loss, fatigue, weakness, depression, mood swings, weight gain/loss, increase/decrease in appetite, constipation & diarrhea - sorry if too many details lol but regarding the weight, appetite, & stool movement all fluctuate ). My major concerns are the hair issues, I've been experiencing excessive hair growth for the last 4-5 years & hair loss onset was drastic (within 6 months 1/2 hair was gone; it's been almost a year & I'm now at about 3/4. I used to have thick, coarse, soft hair now it's brittle, dry, dull & thinning.

My question is, should I seek help from a endocrinologist, dermatologist, &/or a gynecologist?

I've had blood tests done by my primary for high testerone levels/androgens & also for a thyroid problem and supposedly they came back "normal"; which I find hard to believe considering I'm only 18 & going through things a middle aged women during menopause would be going through!

Oh & right now I'm on Quasense (generic of Seasonale; hair loss started around the time I started BCPS considering that as a reason for the hair loss- high androgenic index...but not sure theres so many possibilities: high testerone/androgen sensitivity, underactive thyroid, vitamin deficiency, pcos, Ect...it's overwhelming all I want are answers so I can start solving the problem!

Any help would be greatly appreciated .
    Last edited by BeautyIsStruggle; 04-06-2012 at 06:08 AM.

Thanks

I went to a obgyn for tests due to infertility and I grow hair so fast, but all my tests including testosterone and tsh came back normal(oh come on!), even my ultrasound came back normal. 6 months after those tests(2 months ago)I started to experience hair loss so I went to a family doctor and they retested tsh which today came back high(finally the answer I needed!). They are referring me to an endocrinologist due to this.

So I guess I would say go to an endocrinologist but if you can't go to one without a referral, get your family doctor to refer you to whatever need be.
    Endocrinologists deal with hormones, it seems all those symptoms are caused by hormones so they will help you.

Oh, and regular cycles doesn't necessarily mean you don't have PCOS, you can get regular cycles and not ovulate. It's rare, but possible. But those symptoms aren't normal, PCOS or not, it's not something you should live with, and an endocrinologist can help.

Oh and I'm 20, had issues since I was 13 with hair growing awfully fast, but it was when I hit 17 things started to go downhill. Then I turned 19 and boom, hair loss. It ISN'T normal to be experiencing menopause like type issues, it's depressing. But the women on this site are very supportive so it helps.
    Last edited by Diane92; 04-06-2012 at 08:32 AM.
    Diane-20 ~ PCOS, Hypothyroidism
    Peter-30 ~ Low sperm count
    Married since 02/23/2010
    TTC officially since June 2010
    Chara Rose born May 3, 2013

Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Diane92 For This Useful Post:

BeautyIsStruggle (04-08-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,755 Posts

Yep, I'd get thee to an endo. They're going to have the best experience to treat the hormone imbalances that are wreaking havoc for you. Check with your insurance to see what the process is to see one - sometimes it's a referral and sometimes it's not. One of the boards has a post about finding doctors, you may want to check that as well.
    Justine (33) Hidden Content DH (34)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "In truth, the art of baby making is not an art at all, nor even a science,
    but completely governed by the absolute nonsensical unknown that is at the heart of all existence here on earth and elsewhere." - Hidden Content Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to defygravity For This Useful Post:

BeautyIsStruggle (04-08-2012)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diane92 View Post
    I went to a obgyn for tests due to infertility and I grow hair so fast, but all my tests including testosterone and tsh came back normal(oh come on!), even my ultrasound came back normal.
    Just posting this as a reference for others who have tests that come back 'normal'

LINK>> What If The Tests Are "NORMAL"?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KatCarney For This Useful Post:

BeautyIsStruggle (04-08-2012),Diane92 (04-06-2012)

Thanks

I'd definitely go to an endocrinologist. Your doctor has to refer you though so technically you will have to go there first. Just ask your regular doctor to go to an endo and if you have to insist on it. Most doctors tend to send women with PCOS to a gyno which is a mistake in my opinion.

Thanks

I am going to see my Gyno first. I will go from there to see if she will do a referral to an Endo dr.

Thanks

I think it depends on the doctor and you may have to go to more than one. Our pediatrician sent us to a pediatric endocrinologist. She did lab work, all came back “normal” and she brushed us off to a dermatologist for the unwanted hair growth and offered diet pills if my daughter gained more weight, she was currently not overweight at the time of the appointment, although she was gaining weight and unable to lose weight. The dermatologist treated my daughter for acne and “watched” the hair growth since it wasn’t “so bad” and offered to re-do blood work in 6 months to a year. Things seemed to be fine for about 5 months. I called the pediatrician after my daughter didn’t have a period for 3 months, of course he referred us back to the endocrinologist. She gave us Provera for 5 days, told us if it didn’t work to try it again in a month and if that didn’t work to call back. I called the pediatrician and asked for a referral to a gynecologist. About 15 minutes into the appointment we had a diagnosis and were talking about treatment. Obviously she ran blood work again, which came back normal again, but it’s not anything else so it has to be PCOS. She also did not want to put my 14 year old through the trauma of an ultrasound. I guess all of that came down to a gynecologist and dermatologist has been the most helpful for us.