Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Transcending the Self.... soulcyster.indeed's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Question Is it Vit. D depletion???

Was found vit. D deficit (7.2) on Jan 2012. I was put on 60,000 IU weekly once for 8 weeks and then monthly once for 2 months. 15 days back, my 8th week got over. So, I decided upon doing a test to avoid toxicity. It came out at 95.6 toxicity level being above 100. Now only the monthly doses remain... now I hav another 15 days to got for the 1st monthly dose.

My hairloss had reduced significantly if nt stopped n hav loads of regrowth as well.... What concerns me is my vit. D level is quite good (infact, close to toxicity level). Should I be taking those monthly doses now? Once I stopped me weekly doses, I hav started shedding again from almost the day I shud hav had my 9th weekly dose if I Had been advised for it! Do cysters have to maintain the level once you get the normal ones? Is 7 days enuf to deplete the vit. D levels? Please advise

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,755 Posts

I'm not sure about if it can be fully depleted in that time, but if you were on a super high dosage and scale back to a more normal dose it would make sense you'd see a bit of hair loss. If you lose enough to go back where you were when you started, that would be cause for concern, but if you lose a little bit it would make sense to me. Of course, you should probably check in with your doc. 60,000iu weekly seems like an intense amount - I take about 15,000iu a week although I've seen women taking more. Do you take it all at once or over time? I take a 5,000iu capsule every other day.
    Justine (33) Hidden Content DH (34)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "In truth, the art of baby making is not an art at all, nor even a science,
    but completely governed by the absolute nonsensical unknown that is at the heart of all existence here on earth and elsewhere." - Hidden Content Hidden Content

Green Fields~Golden Sands DiamondInTheRough's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know if 7 days would deplete your levels that drastically (I doubt it would happen that quickly, though). Unless you've made other significant changes in your diet/lifestyle that give you adequate sources of vitamin D, you definitely need to keep up with the pills to maintain a normal range. It took me a long time to get within a normal range, and I still need to take 100 k iu a month to keep it within range.
    Hidden Content Married SAHM - Me(35) DH(40)Hidden Content
    DS1 (2003) Clomid, IC Miracle - Bedrest, DS2 (2007) Metformin, IC Miracle - Cerclage
    Angel Baby @ 18 wks (2001) Bicornuate uterus, IC "To God we belong, and to Him is our return." Qur'an 2:156

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I was advised to take 60,000 IU weekly once for 8 weeks i.e., on day 1,8,15, 22,29,36,43, 50, and then monthly once for two months (day 80, 110 approx.), day 1 being the day when I first started my dose. I checked it on abt day 57(25th March 2012), it came out 95.6.

And I started losing more frm abt day 60 or so. I used hav hair 2 inches below the shoulder, a week back I cut to 2 inches above shoulder. It made no difference to my hairloss...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I dunno what I am suppossed to do. My levels are close to toxicity but I am losing hair once I stopped my weekly doses.
    I also wanna know that once a cyster gets her vit. D levels to normal and from then on ,she has as much exposure to sun as any other non-deficit non-PCOSer, is the cyster likely to run low in vit. D in sometime if she doesn take lower doses to maintain the level?
    i.e., do cysters hav a tendency to loose vit. D faster than non-PCOSers?

Thanks

I don't know if we lose it faster than non-PCOS women. I start supplementing because my doctor said 99% of the women who cross his office door have low vitamin d levels. When they tested me and confirmed it, I started 5,000iu every other day and have been doing that since about May of last year. When I was re-tested in January, it was perfect so I've just stayed with that dosage. I'll continue that dosage for the foreseeable future with my doctor's knowledge/support/directive, so I feel, based on my experience, that once you've got it to a maintenance phase it should stay.

In your case, it sounds like they boosted you up very quickly, and now that you're cutting back on the volume and dosage of your doses you're seeing some scale back of hair growth. Is there a way you can take a smaller dose more frequently? Like a 2,000iu supplement daily instead of once a month?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    but completely governed by the absolute nonsensical unknown that is at the heart of all existence here on earth and elsewhere." - Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'll check wid the endo in a day or two if I can take smaller doses now. Technically, cysters wud lose less hair if vit. D levels get normal sooner. But many cysters take it in smaller doses.. Ny known disadvantage of boosting quickly? BTW defygravity, wid dosage as urs, wat was ur vit D level in d test?
    Last edited by soulcyster.indeed; 04-10-2012 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks

I don't have the numbers exactly - at first test I was "seriously deficient" in June (I was tested in June, not May, my fault) and in January it was "perfect".
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Before goin to the endo, I was goin thru some of my reports of the recent test. My ferritin is 13. Deficit again.. Yay!!
    expecting to reduce my hairloss and some more regrowth

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think I have found what went wrong.... I was on 60,000 IU weekly doses. I started losing hair soon 8-9 days after I stopped my weekly doses - as if my body was stil expecting a weekly megadose and when it didn get, I started losing hair.

http://www.the-vitamin-and-supplemen...tvitamins.html
    search for 'megadose of antioxidant vitamins' in the page.

I ws extremely happy to see those tiny regrowth - the best I have seen in all my life. Now I am losing as much hair (including those regrowths) as I was before I started with vit.D
    Mega doses aren't as good as they might appear to be

Thanks

Yes - that's what I was trying to get at earlier. The article does a much better job explaining it.

Are you taking a low dose more frequently now?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

My level was 95.6, the toxicity level being 100 in the report. But my doc said 150 is actually toxic and he advised me to take another dose in a months interval which I have already taken (read the article today ) The docs, I hav consulted till date, wouldn co-operate if I insist in on giving me supplements, they only give if they are satisfied that the number in my report hav something to do with my symptoms. And I am a little scared abt toxicity to try smaller doses now. Plz suggest...

Thanks

I've never experienced getting megadoses like that. I get my supplements from the local drugstore and take them, I take 5,000iu of vit d every other day. I don't know how it works in India, if supplements are available outside of your doctors, but I definitely would not continue the megadose.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I can definitely purchase the supplements on my own. But I am lil confused how much to take coz my levels were quite high when my hair started shedding again due to discontinue of supplements. I am afraid if I take some amt which might appear low to me as a layman but may be toxic to my levels. I don hav an insurance to keep doing the tests frequently to check if my dosage is proper for my levels... What do i do.... :~

Thanks

I can't answer that - you have to make a decision about whether to keep following the doctor's recommendation or go at it on your own. I started the 5,000iu on my own (at doctor's recommendation) and when I was retested a few months later the levels were good. I doubt you'll go into toxicity with a lower dose on a more frequent basis because (I believe) your body will be able to process it better than a huge dose more sporadically. I also don't know that you won't experience hair loss while making the switch due to the shift. I firmly believe Vit D helped with my hair loss but I never took the megadoses so I don't know how a switch will work.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

16. The Following User Says Thank You to defygravity For This Useful Post:

iloveanimals (05-24-2012)