Thanks
    Blog Entries

Angry STUDY: Women with PCOS Burn Fewer Calories At Rest

Fertil Steril. 2009 Jul;92(1):250-5. Epub 2008 Aug 3.

Basal metabolic rate is decreased in women with polycystic ovary syndrome and biochemical hyperandrogenemia and is associated with insulin resistance.

Georgopoulos NA, Saltamavros AD, Vervita V, Karkoulias K, Adonakis G, Decavalas G, Kourounis G, Markou KB, Kyriazopoulou V.
    Source
    Division of Reproductive Endocrinology, University of Patras Medical School, University Hospital, Patras, Greece. neoklisg@hol.gr

Abstract
    OBJECTIVE:
    To evaluate basal metabolic rate (BMR) in women with PCOS and to determine its association with insulin resistance (IR).

DESIGN:
    Prospective assessment of BMR in women with PCOS.

SETTING:
    Outpatient clinic of the Division of Reproductive Endocrinology.

PATIENT(S):
    The study included 91 Greek women with PCOS and biochemical hyperandrogenemia, with mean age 24.03 +/- 0.55 years and mean body mass index (BMI) 26.67 +/- 0.69 kg/m(2), and 48 matched regularly menstruating women, with mean age 26.33 +/- 0.93 years and mean BMI 23.35 +/- 0.85 kg/m(2), as control subjects.

INTERVENTION(S):
    Assessment of BMR by indirect calorimetry, IR by HOMA and QUICKI indices, fasting insulin, and fasting glucose/insulin ratio.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S):
    Reduced BMR in PCOS with or without IR.

RESULT(S):
    Adjusted BMR was...
    1,868 +/- 41 kcal/day in the control group,
    1,445.57 +/- 76 in all PCOS women,
    1,590 +/- 130 in PCOS women without IR and
    1,116 +/- 106 in PCOS women with IR.

{Kat note: In other words, the PCOS'ers with IR burned 700+ FEWER calories at rest than the control group!?!?!?! O..M..G..}

Adjusted BMR showed a statistically significant difference between women with PCOS and control subjects, with lowest values in the group of PCOS women with IR, even after adjusting all groups for age and BMI.

CONCLUSION(S):
    Women with PCOS, particularly those with IR, present a significantly decreased BMR.

Thanks

Haha, I love the angry face in the subject line! Now, we just need to find articles on how to help boost our metabolisms.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca86 View Post
    Haha, I love the angry face in the subject line!
    lol! Normally, I keep the research articles 'neutral', but in this case, I thought the angry face was appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca86 View Post
    Now, we just need to find articles on how to help boost our metabolisms.
    They're in the 'quick links', and I can sum them up in two words: strength training.

Most of the cysters who have been successful at not just losing weight, but reversing many of the symptoms of pcos, report that strength training - more so than cardio - is what made the difference.

In my case, that was certainly true. I looked 'shockingly' different after I did P90x. And I tend look 'dramatically different' after any prolonged, and progressive strength training program.

Registered User vancouverNicole's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Wow... Another super interesting study. Thanks for posting.
    Me (31) DH (33) - Married Sept 2007
    TTC Naturally Sept 2008-2010
    Clomid round 2 Dec 2010- 50mg - BFP... but didn't stick Hidden Content (confirmed lost at 6 weeks)
    Clomid round 5 August 2011- 50mg + Met & progesterone - BFP!
    Hidden Content Healthy DD born on her due date! May 9th, 2012. Hidden Content

Thanks

I just saw an article in the paper today....need to look up the journal article at work tomorrow but some very interesting results for losing weight before I have another child! It is about obesity and overwight states and their link to developmental delays and autism in the children of obese and overweight moms....I need to get going...I am still in the overweight BMI...

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/health/...724/story.html