Thread: Stopping Spiro

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Stopping Spiro

Has anyone stopped taking Spiro? I took it for 2.5 years and then started recently getting weird side effects (major fatigue, aches, nausea, headaches, etc). My doctor told me to stop and I did. I fell better than I have in a long time. But now I am freaked out that it will hurt me long term. Has anyone else stopped Spiro and been ok? I'm still on Met, lasix, and lexapro so I am hoping that these keep me healthy.

Any replies would be much appreciated!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SurferWomyn For This Useful Post:

sarah4983 (11-02-2013)

Registered User vancouverNicole's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Isn't there an alternative to spiro? I don't remember what it's called but it starts with an F?
    Sorry I'm not much help, I'm waiting until I'm done TTC to try either.
    Me (31) DH (33) - Married Sept 2007
    TTC Naturally Sept 2008-2010
    Clomid round 2 Dec 2010- 50mg - BFP... but didn't stick Hidden Content (confirmed lost at 6 weeks)
    Clomid round 5 August 2011- 50mg + Met & progesterone - BFP!
    Hidden Content Healthy DD born on her due date! May 9th, 2012. Hidden Content

Green Fields~Golden Sands DiamondInTheRough's Avatar
    Thanks

I tried spiro before and didn't last long on it at all. I started to feel unwell and broke out in hives. It was so disappointing, I was so hopeful that it would help. Now I have to list it as an allergy, and people always ask "What on earth were you on Spiro for!?" It's such a slap in the face to explain it each time.
    Hidden Content Married SAHM - Me(35) DH(40)Hidden Content
    DS1 (2003) Clomid, IC Miracle - Bedrest, DS2 (2007) Metformin, IC Miracle - Cerclage
    Angel Baby @ 18 wks (2001) Bicornuate uterus, IC "To God we belong, and to Him is our return." Qur'an 2:156

Thanks

the alternate is called Flutamide. you might want to try it, it works like spiro so you might be able to tolerate it better.

Thanks

I stopped taking Spiro recently as I had concerns following breast cancer treatment. I was on the highest allowable dose and had been on it for over ten years. I stopped the dose abruptly under doctor's approval. The biggest issue I've had is an increase in hair removal.

Thanks

I'm restarting spiro tonight since I've been off most of my PCOS meds for over 6 months, my boyfriend is asking me not to though since the carcinogen bit. Is the alternative a carcinogen too?

Thanks

I stopped taking spiro for a month. I didn't gain any weight or anything, but the acne I had prior to taking the drug returned. I went back on it fairly quickly so its tough to say what the long-term effects would have been, but my doctor assured me that there wouldn't be any serious consequences.