Thanks

Default Insurance will no longer cover Glumetza

So I got a letter form my insurance company a few weeks ago saying that they no longer will cover Glumetza XR and that I would need to switch to Metformin ER. I have had so much success on Glumetza that I actually cried after reading the letter. After taking Metformin (non ER), I was able to conceive despite my PCOS. However, postpartum I tried going back on Metformin (non ER) and didn't have any results re:weight loss despite exercise and diet. So my endo put me on Glumetza and I was able to fight back to a healthy weight only to be told I have to switch meds again!!! I am SOOO scared that I will regain all of my weight back. Anyone make the switch from Glumetza to Metformin ER? How did it affect your weight and periods?

Registered User vancouverNicole's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

That really sucks! I am with you in that I could never really 'do' regular metphormin, but love glumetza. However, I have never even heard of met ER (non glumetza), hopefully someone else can weigh in on it.
    Me (31) DH (33) - Married Sept 2007
    TTC Naturally Sept 2008-2010
    Clomid round 2 Dec 2010- 50mg - BFP... but didn't stick Hidden Content (confirmed lost at 6 weeks)
    Clomid round 5 August 2011- 50mg + Met & progesterone - BFP!
    Hidden Content Healthy DD born on her due date! May 9th, 2012. Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vancouverNicole View Post
    That really sucks! I am with you in that I could never really 'do' regular metphormin, but love glumetza. However, I have never even heard of met ER (non glumetza), hopefully someone else can weigh in on it.
    Yes, I panicked when I got the letter. I have been on the Metformin ER for the past 2 days and (knock on wood) no problems so far. I am not sure whether to rejoice or be cautious. You just never know if it is the calm before the storm. I can never remember how long it takes to adjust in your system so I guess I won't know about maintaining my weight loss until a few weeks out. Surprised no one else's insurance has discontinued coverage on Glumetza.

Thanks

Sometimes you can have a doctor write a letter stating that you tried the alternatives without success and they will approve a non formulary drug. I didn't have o because the savings card covers it. I have highmark ppo blue. Glumetza is a non formulary drug for me. I use the glumetza savings card -and pay only 10.00 at giant eagle pharmacy.

Thanks

I have been unable to tolerate Metformin past 1000 mg. Even that dose gives me nausea in the evening. My doctor just prescribed Glumetza because he said it is easier on the tummy. Well, the pharmacy has it on back order, are not sure they will get it back in at all, and if they do it will be $300 a month out of pocket!!! I'm pretty sad that there is an option out there that could bring me relief, but it is so cost prohibitive!
    Chelsea - 35, wife to Seth - 37, Mami to Carlos (11), my little Guatemalan and Luke (7), home grown after 7 years with Metformin, vitamins/herbs, and a trigger shot, and Naomi (3), adopted from Hong Kong