Thread: Vent

Thanks

Default Vent

So 6 months ago at my physical my tests came back with borderline high cholesterol. I know PCOS can make us more likely to have this. I have really gotten diet and exercise together since then and have managed to lose 60 lbs. I am also taking met daily now. I got my blood rechecked yesterday and was excited to see a drop. Nope, things have increased. Total is 224, tri 172, hdl 41, LDL 149. And I am also now pre diabetic as sugar was 102 even with met. Also blood pressure was high at 140/90 which it never has been before.

What could be going on?? I don't know what to do. I am on a pretty severe restriction diet as its the only way i see results and I can't cut out anything else.

Sorry I just wanted to vent. I'm so disappointed, I have been doing everything I should and things only got worse. Getting rechecked in 6 months...

Green Fields~Golden Sands DiamondInTheRough's Avatar
    Thanks

That is so bizarre. What do your doctors think? Clearly they made note of your weight loss (which is amazing, btw), they have to have some kind of explanation. What kind of exercise have you been doing? Strength training is the best to tackle IR. Do you have a lot of weight left to lose? Maybe you are still in the danger zone for these health issues, despite the loss? Still though, I can't imagine being this disciplined to lose what you have, and see an INCREASE in your levels...it's hard to wrap my head around it.
    Hidden Content Married SAHM - Me(35) DH(40)Hidden Content
    DS1 (2003) Clomid, IC Miracle - Bedrest, DS2 (2007) Metformin, IC Miracle - Cerclage
    Angel Baby @ 18 wks (2001) Bicornuate uterus, IC "To God we belong, and to Him is our return." Qur'an 2:156

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm with Diamond, that is strange.

What did the doctors say? Did they offer any advice?

My cholesterol had been sky high since kindergarten (in the 200's), and was super high until I started really cracking the whip in the diet and exercise area. For the past 10 years, or so, it's been 'better than normal' (it had been high from kindergarten until I was 29).

Have you been keeping a food journal and exercise log? Maybe that would offer some clues.

Blessed beyond measure Stormy77's Avatar
    Thanks

Are you doing a low carb PCOS type diet? I have heard of people doing like Atkins and losing weight but their cholesterol going up.
    Shannon, married 15 yrs to the love of my life. Adopted mom to 22 yr old Lacey, stepmom to 17 yr old Holly, mommy to Trinity and Jacob

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies. The more I think about it the more it freaks me out. The nurse called me with the results and just said the doctor wanted to see me in 6 more months. I put in a call for the doctor to call me but it probably won't be until tomorrow. They did notice my weight loss.

I do still have weight to lose. I am 5'9" and I started at 275 in November and am now am 212. I'm trying to get to 155.

I've hired a personal trainer and do aerobic and strength. My diet is pretty drastic. Im doing low fat (only use healthy fats when using), and under 1000 cal a day. I'm going to start watching carbs closer but my diet isn't all that high in carbs. I eat mostly vegetarian but do eat meat occasionally.

Thanks

At 5'9, you aren't getting nearly enough calories. It's no wonder your health is declining. I'm only 5'4, and I've been told that 1200 is the lowest I should go. It's great that you have a trainer, is there any chance you could get a consult with a nutritionist as well? A nutritionist can help you set out a meal plan that will give you enough cals to sustain yourself and also enough to get through workouts and make them count.
    DS1 (2003) Clomid, IC Miracle - Bedrest, DS2 (2007) Metformin, IC Miracle - Cerclage
    Angel Baby @ 18 wks (2001) Bicornuate uterus, IC "To God we belong, and to Him is our return." Qur'an 2:156

Enjoying our family of 4! Jessieb's Avatar
    Thanks

Following Atkins (low carb, high fat), my numbers have actually improved - a lot. If you have a lot of grains, especially refined grains, in your diet, that could be leading to your inflammation and would explain your rise in numbers.
    Me(33), DH(37)
    Dx: 1995
    August 12, 2010 - Stella is here!
    March 8, 2012 - Gage is here!

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I know it seems drastic but it takes a lot for me to actually lose. I don't lose eating 1500 a day which is closer to reccomended. I'll talk through the diet with my doctor in case that is the cause. A nutritionist might be a good idea.

Thanks

Cheza, I know what you mean because I have to be very careful with my cals to lose as well. I have to be 100% committed or I won't lose, and even with this effort, it's been a very slow process. Hopefully your doctor will call you soon and you can discuss things. Let us know what he thinks!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy77 View Post
    Are you doing a low carb PCOS type diet? I have heard of people doing like Atkins and losing weight but their cholesterol going up.
    When I started it, my LDL spiked up for a few weeks, and then took a good nosedive down. Partly (I think) because my fitness levels increased, and the type of fats I was eating got better over time. (ie fish oils, etc).

Re: Calories
    You can safely go under 1200, but it's best to be under a doctor or nutritionist's supervision to make sure you're getting the proper nutrients. It's a VERY delicate balance when you go that low.

Also, when your calories are very low, sometimes your body will 'compensate' by moving less during the day to 'conserve energy', so your NEAT (non-exercise induced thermogenisis).

I'm pretty much non-functional under 1200 calories over several days, and really have a hard time working out hard. When I'm trying to lose, I stay between 1200 and 1500 calories - and I track them. On 1500, I don't see much movement on the scale week to week, but it's a gradual process month to month. 1500 also gives me more to work with when I'm working out HARD. On 1200, I have to do more moderate workouts.

Re: Low fat diets
    They're out for me. They trigger SEVERE depression, and lethargy. It can be 100% healthy, but my brain simply can't function. I've read that this isn't uncommon in some people who go on low fat diets.

Cheza, so far, you've done SPECTACULARLY losing 65 pounds. Seriously, that is quite an accomplishment. But I know what it's like to want more changes and NOW. The body kind of has a mind of it's own, so some things just take time for the body to 'catch up' to your efforts. (And I'm speaking from experience...I went from 240lbs to 150-ish).

When I started tracking my food, workouts, weight, etc, I started to see 'trends', and that helped me to be less anxious.

But I've been trying to lose 10 pounds for the past several months, and boy has it freaked me out. The biggest issue for me is N.E.A.T. I kill it in the workouts, but because my calories were so low, and because I've been working on a writing project that keeps me GLUED to the computer, I"m sitting a LOT during the day, and I know that this is thwarting everything.

(The cocktail and chips I had tonight after I left the gym didn't help, either... )

Hang in there. You're CLEARLY motivated and dedicated. You'll get there!

Thanks

I talked to the doctor and she said she wasn't all that concerned and just wanted to watch it. She said the sugar was probably the result of prednisone i just took as that can mess with numbers. She didn't really have answers on cholesterol. Guess I'll just keep going and check again in 6 months.

Thanks

I'm glad your doctor is on board with everything. I didn't know you could stay that low for longer periods of time, sorry if I came off harshly. I'd love to look into it myself, as I rely very heavily on nutrition because of the physical limitations of my arthritis. I am stuck with my last 20 lbs, it is so stubborn. I feel like I need a change. I'll ask my Rheumy in June. Hopefully you'll see a nice drop in 6 months. Keep us posted!

Thanks

I had extremely high cholesterol as well I am on Weight Watchers. I basically cut out all dairy unless fat free and one serving (4 oz, deck of cards) of read meat week. I try to get my daily 3 tsp of olive oil. I was in a 7 weeks ago it’s still a little evaluated but with adding more cardio my doc thinks this will go down, recheck in 6 months.

Registered User hollycysticovary's Avatar
    Thanks

I put on weight at the dropof a hat! i canput onhalf a stonein a week easilyif i dont watchwhatieat like a hawk!anyone else likethis?

Thanks

Could be genetic. I've been a vegetarian for 15 years and a vegan for 2 and I still have high cholesterol.