Thanks

Default question about Yasmin

hey everyone,
    i recently stopped spiro due to the terrible side effects. i have heard of yasmin being good for acne, but im terrified of birth control. is anyone taking yasmin at the moment and experiencing remission of their acne? any advice would be appreciated!

Spinning Cyster! :) Future Doc Cyster's Avatar
    Thanks

I am currently taking a break from Yasmin and can't wait to be back on it!

When I was first diagnosed with PCOS, my doctor prescribed Yasmin, and I was less than thrilled to be put on it. I simply didn't want to be on BCPs.

I later tried Metformin and Spiro (Spiro really helped with hair and acne issues but made me bleed for 5 weeks straight!). I finally realized that my body responded best to Yasmin/Yaz and have been on one or the other since 2007. My doctor has me take a break for a few months every 2 years or so which is why I'm not currently taking it.

My acne got MUCH better once I started Yasmin.
    Future Doc Cyster

Currently taking a break from all meds
    Goal: Live a healthy lifestyle to lose weight, feel beautiful, and kick some PCOS butt!

Thanks

I have taken Yasmin and it has given me excellent results in reducing my acne. I have also been on Ocella (generic yasmin) and Beyaz, and have had similar good results. So I know it is very individual, but it sure helped me! Occassionally I still get a pimple here or there, but nothing like before when they came in clusters. And by the way, I have had no terrible side effects from yasmin, except for headaches the first week or two of starting and stopping it. Good luck to you. Hope this helps!

Thanks

I was on Yasmin/YAZ for nearly 8+ years and my skin was great! I used to have very oily skin and hair, along with acne. Yasmin/Yaz worked great for all. Due to change of insurance, I am no longer able to afford it, but I do recommend it.

Thanks

I think it depends on the reason for having the acne. For me - my acne is cystic and just plain terrible if I'm off Yaz and Metformin. That tells me it's from the over-abundance of testosterone in my system from IR/PCOS when I stop my meds --- which I did for 2 years. Eventually I got worse and worse and Proactiv did NOTHING, and my tea tree soap did NOTHING. I do have to keep my face clean - twice a day I use Desert Essence Tea Tree bar soap to wash my face and I have to be religious to Proactiv to keep my skin completely clear. Once I go off Yaz/Met, pizza face, uncontrollable.

Why are you terrified of birth control? Talk with your doctor about the risks and if you are higher risk for some of the bad things (like a stroke or blood clot) --- age, smoking, obesity, high blood pressure, history of heart/clotting issues are all in consideration for being on a BCP. Some people are higher risk, some aren't.

Thanks

I've been taking Yasmin for 6 or 7 years now. Sometimes I get lazy and don't go in for my physical so I have had a few breaks in the years. It completely clears up my acne. When I don't take it, the acne returns with a vengeance. I did notice spider veins on my body the last year or so. I guess it's a side effect. But the older I get the less I care... I'm just happy my face is clear! I can always pay to have the spider veins zapped with a laser, next time I stop by the spa for my laser hair removal.