04-11-2012, 02:45 PM #1
- Join Date
- Nov 2000
- Thanked 511 Times in 227 Posts
- Blog Entries
EXCELLENT ARTICLE: 15 Questions to Ask When Your Doctor Prescribes a Drug
Print this out and carry it with you when you visit your doctor!!
15 Questions to Ask When Your Doctor Prescribes a Drug
by DR. FRANK LIPMAN
As you probably know by now, I am a huge proponent of becoming an active participant in your healthcare. This can begin with asking the following questions when your doctor recommends a drug:
- What does this medication do?
- How, when, and for how long should I take it?
- Is this drug intended to cure my underlying condition or is it intended to give me relief from my symptoms?
- What are the side effects? Are they minor or major? Common or rare?
- Is it safe take while pregnant or breastfeeding? (If appropriate to you.)
- Have long-term studies been done on this drug? Have studies been done for this drug on the elderly or women? (If appropriate to you.) Ask this especially if you are going to take the drug long-term.
- Do the benefits outweigh the risks?
- Is this dosage individualized for me, or is this a one-dose-fits-all dosage?
- Would it be possible to start me at a lower dose and adjust it according to my response?
- What herbs, supplements, foods, drinks, or activities should I avoid while taking this medication?
- Is it safe for me to take this medication with other drugs or supplements I am taking?
- Will any tests be necessary while I am taking this medication?
- What should I do if I miss a dose of this medication? Take it immediately when I remember, or wait until my next regularly scheduled dose?
- Is there a generic version of the medication?
- What are my non-drug alternatives?
Dr. Frank Lipman is an acclaimed Integrative Physician and the founder and director of the Eleven Eleven Wellness Center in New York City. For over 20 years his personal brand of healing has helped thousands of people reclaim their vitality and recover their zest for life. Focused on sustainable wellness—instead of quick fixes—he offers patients a customized blend of Western medicine with acupuncture, nutritional counseling, vitamins and herbs, relaxation techniques, physical therapy, and bodywork. In 2010 he developed Be Well by Dr. Frank Lipman, a line of leading-edge supplements and health programs. He is the author of Revive: Stop Feeling Spent and Start Living Again and Total Renewal: 7 Key Steps to Resilience, Vitality and Long-Term Health.
For more on Dr. Lipman, please visit his resourceful WEBSITE or on FACEBOOK or TWITTER.
The Following User Says Thank You to KatCarney For This Useful Post:
04-11-2012, 06:27 PM #2
- Join Date
- Oct 2004
- Thanked 853 Times in 645 Posts
I would add one more question for the doctor: Would you take this medication? You'd be surprised at the response, LOL...
The Following User Says Thank You to DiamondInTheRough For This Useful Post:
04-13-2012, 02:44 AM #3
Great list. Thank you!