Thanks

Default Newly diagnosed Hypo, Old diagnosis of PCOS

Hi everyone,

I've been coming on the Soul Cyster message boards off and on for years as a "cyster", but thought I'd post in this forum for the first time. After trying to start fertility treatments with a course of Provera to bring on my "period", my doctors did some blood work to figure out why that basic drug didn't work for me (no period). I found out on Monday that it was ineffective because my thyroid is basically dead (my TSH came back >75... apparently at that level, the lab doesn't even give me a number for it, they just say it's greater than 75). This is day two of .088 mcg of levothyroxine(?). After 12 years of reading up on PCOS, I feel like I know a lot about that, but not so much about hypothyroidism. Can anyone give me any directions on some of the best places to look for info or other support forums?

Also, bizarrely enough, my FSH and LH were tested for the first time since I got diagnosed with PCOS 12 years ago (I've been on BCP the whole time) and they came back with a 1:1 ratio. Totally normal. Twelve years ago they were in a 10:1 ratio. Has anyone had any experience with their PCOS resolving once they get their thyroid treated? I'm kind of hoping for good things once we get my meds worked out.

Any and all advice welcome. I'm moving to NY state from CA in another 2 weeks, and will be starting from scratch with doctors, treatment, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone.

-Hilary

Thanks

Well, webmd's page on hypothyroidism is pretty good. Doing a general google search brings up a few pages too. This page seems to be pretty thorough,http://www.medicinenet.com/hypothyro...ge2.htm#toc4at.

As for the PCOS resolving when the thyroid is treated, I don't think it will completely disappear but it may help, as quite a few of the symptoms seem to overlap. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at 5, and PCOS at 14 and even though my thyroid was being treated I still had a lot of the classic symptoms like facial hair, lack of periods, oily skin, etc.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hi, I have infertility and hypo. I was diagnoses with hypo about 6 years ago and PCOS about two years ago. Currently my Thyroid levels are perfect (with medication, TSH about 1.19) but my recently exam showed my ovaries covered in follicles with lots of PCOS symptops so personally, the thyroid does not any way correlate with my PCOS in that way.
    "..the only way to achieve the impossible, is to believe it's possible." ~Alice in Wonderland
    Me- 31 Husband- 41 (married 10 years)
    TTC 10 years- trying to adopt now

DX: Hypothyroid, Gastroparesis, Insulin Resistance, PCOS, Endometriosis (in 2004), Unicornuate Uterus

Thanks

Hello im new to the board. Ive been diagnosed with pcos for only around 2 years now but knew well before. Symptoms dont hide do they? Anyway, my thyroid issues were confirmed recently by an alternative practitioner and im trying to.be hopeful. Thyroid is really important fir drive and my temperature regulation. I havent had a cycle in 2 years except when i went on birth control for few months. Didnt agree with me so i stopped. For anyone else with thyroid ussues, what do u do to motivate urself to exercise???

Thanks

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid some time ago, and am now up to 112mcg of synthroid (levothroxine). Personally, I haven't noticed all that much difference in how I feel day to day. I don't find an energy increase or anything like that. The only "symptom" I had was that I would get kind of foggy headed, and a weird "dizzy" spell. Not room spinning dizzy, but like you got new glasses or maybe took cold medication. Just "off". It went on for weeks. My NP ran all sorts of labs and everything was fine except the thyroid at that time for whatever she tested. And since then every year or sometimes more often my dose needs to get increased. I have had those "spells" a couple other times since, and if they don't go away after a day or two, I go out and usually sure enough it needs adjusted. My aunt pretty much has a dead thyroid, her daughter and another cousin also take synthroid, what dose I don't know. So it's obviously something in my maternal genes just based on that fact.
    Hypothyroid---approx 2007
    PCOS -- Feb 2012
    No period after Provera x10days (no period for approx 1 year prior to provera)
    Endometrial Biopsy March 2012 results: simplex/complex hyperplasia w/o atypia
    D & C w/ Hysteroscopy April 2012 results: simple/complex hyperplasia w/ atypia
    Total hysterectomy incl. removal of ovaries July 10, 2012 due to atypia

Synthroid 112mcg*Metformin 500mg 2xday*Hyzaar 50-12.5 mg*Multi-Vitamin*B Complex*Calcium w/Vit D 500mg 2xday*Premarin .625mg*Cinnamon 1,000mg

Thanks

Hello. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 3 years ago. My original endo put me on levothyroxine (88 mcg) and it helped a little bit, but I still didn't feel like my "normal" self. I was taking Yaz prior to my thyroid diagnosis and continued to do so until July 2011. When I stopped the BCP I immediately started to gain wait. I thought my thyroid had stopped working so I looked for a different endo to help fix it. Eventually I ended up seeing Dr. Ridha Arem in Houston, TX and he put me on Synthroid (56 mcg) as well as a T3 compound. Sadly my weight continued to increase and my energy level was decreasing, even though I was working out 4x a week and dieting. And my period completely stopped. I thought it was a side effect of the new thyroid medication but Dr. Arem said that wasn't the case. After a few more months of no period he sent me in for a pelvic ultrasound (April 2012). That's when they discovered I had PCOS. My gyno had me restart BCP (Lo Loestrin) and I'm in my second month of that. I noticed I am feeling a little better but I still haven't made a complete 180. I'm hoping that I start feeling better soon, but it looks like I'll be on meds forever!!