Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default PCOS, pregnant and an aversion to eat low carb.

Hello everyone! I am 8 weeks 3 days pregnant with a miracle baby. I was diagnosed with PCOS back in 2002 and this is my first pregnancy (I am 31 now). OB prescribed 1500mg of metformin and I lost 60 pounds through low carb/gf eating and exercising and was finally able to conceive:-) My question is this: I have been having morning sickness pretty much all day/every day for the last 3 weeks. Foods that I frequently ate (Eggs, sausage, chicken, salad) seem disgusting to me. The smell alone makes me sick. I have been eating/drinking/craving fruit and carbs. I eat GF cereal, bananas, corn chips..etc. I am concerned because the low carb diet is great for IR. Can I hurt the baby by not eating low carb and eating a higher carb diet since I have PCOS? Should I ask my OB for a glucose test now?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Dont worry about it. Your not feeling that way because of pcos but because of the pregnancy. Most womens sickness goes away.. I had it till atleast a month or better into the 2nd trimester but then it went away and only get it once and a while. and it deff made it hard to eat. Eat what you can and make sure you take your vitamins. Also I wouldnt be asking for a glucose test right now, its way to early. Wouldnt be a bad idea to have one done in the early 20 weeks then if pass do another at around 28 weeks as usually done around then.
    ME (27) & DH (33) +
    DS (born 6/12 on due date) & DD (born 1/14 @ 35wks 3days) =
    FAMILY COMPLETE!

Blessed beyond measure Stormy77's Avatar
    Thanks

The 1st tri is not as important as the last as far as carbs. Right now you need to it (within reason) what you can hold down and you want. Worry about the lower carbs later on when your blood sugar could hurt the baby.
    Shannon, married 15 yrs to the love of my life. Adopted mom to 22 yr old Lacey, stepmom to 17 yr old Holly, mommy to Trinity and Jacob

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Congrats on your weight loss and pregnancy! I ate paleo/primal before getting pregnant but have let some grains slip back in. I do have IR and had gestational diabetes with DS so watching my blood sugar is very important. As other's have said, eat what you can to stay nourished- an aversion to protein is very common in early pregnancy.
    Janeen (39) Hidden Content Richard (39)

DS: Richie born 07/03/2008
    DD: Aaliyah born 07/24/2012
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I was doing great with lowcarb (paleo/primal) when I got pregnant, too. I was so sick those first few weeks my eating did a 180. I pretty much lived on processed cheese sandwiches and fruit. Definitely NOT low carb. But at that point I just needed to eat. At around 10 weeks I started being able to slowly re-introduce lean proteins and veggies. I will say that prior to pregnancy I was super carb sensitive and had to be so careful. My body responded differently while pregnant and I didn't have the same sensitivity. I got away with eating higher carb and only gained about 25lbs (I was 140lbs pre-preg). It was nice to have a reprieve and eat like a normal person. I'm almost 5 months postpartum and I'm back to having to watch my carbs. Boo.

Me: 30 DH: 34
    DS: 11/21/11
    Ovarian Drilling Success Story! Surgery 12/22/10 :: BFP 3/22/11
    Baby girl EDD: 5/24/14

Enjoying our family of 4! Jessieb's Avatar
    Thanks

I went through the same thing when I was pg with DS. I tried to stay away from the really bad carbs, like refined flour/sugar. I ate a lot of real fruit and higher starch veggies (sweet potatoes were my saving grace). You don't want to eat at really low levels while pregnant anyway, so a bump in healthier carbs (if there is such a thing) is not a bad thing anyway. Once my m/s went away I was able to eat more in line with what I was used to, but at a higher level than for weight loss.

ETA - Congrats on the baby! DS was conceived as a result of a low carb diet and weight loss as well, so I know the feeling.
    Me(33), DH(37)
    Dx: 1995
    August 12, 2010 - Stella is here!
    March 8, 2012 - Gage is here!

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I've been dealing with the same thing. Since around 7 weeks my morning sickness has been non-stop. I've now the past few days started to feel finally not nauseated all of the time. I fell right off the low-carb wagon. I ate whatever sounded like I could stomach it, which for some reason, was mostly fruity candy and carbs of all sorts. I have still lost 13 lbs in the first trimester eating these things because I was sooooooo sick. I've managed to gain back 3lbs, but at 16 weeks, my appetite is just now coming back and I am eating more normally again. i'm still down 10lbs from pre-preggo weight, so as long as you are still on your metformin, I don't think that it will harm the baby at all. My doctor doesn't seem at all concerned and told me just to eat whatever I can get and keep down. Hang in there! it will get better!
    Me 28 - DX PCOS w/IR 8/2011, annovulatory 1 yr after bcp (2010/2011)
    DH 30 - Normal
    TTC #1 for 18 months
    Metformin 1500 mg ER daily, prenatals, 81mg aspirin, progesterone
    Cycle 4: femara 5mg cd3-7, estradiol, HCG Shot to ov., BFP! Beta 200+
    Jacob Riley 9/19/12, 6lbs 5oz, 19inches

Hidden Content

Registered User vancouverNicole's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I had the same feeling in my first trimester. I just went with it. There would be nights where ALL I wanted for dinner was mashed potatoes, or white rice, or other things that would normally make me gain 100 lbs instantly, but something about pregnancy made me luck out, I didn't gain any more weight than I should, despite eating horribly for a couple of months there. It is important to eat healthy, but I kind of let it slide while I was dealing with nausea, I told myself I must be craving things for a reason (maybe that was BS though).
    Me (31) DH (33) - Married Sept 2007
    TTC Naturally Sept 2008-2010
    Clomid round 2 Dec 2010- 50mg - BFP... but didn't stick Hidden Content (confirmed lost at 6 weeks)
    Clomid round 5 August 2011- 50mg + Met & progesterone - BFP!
    Hidden Content Healthy DD born on her due date! May 9th, 2012. Hidden Content

Thanks

I've had a major aversion to meat from the start.. nm that I was doing a primal diet before.
    It's eased up now thankfully other than home cooked chicken.. bleh.
    All I've wanted to eat during this pregnancy has been carbs carbs and more carbs with some fruit thrown in every once in a while lol.
    Lisa-34 DH-35
    TTC #1 since Oct 08, 4 Chemical Pregnancies (injection cycles)
    Natural BFP Nov 30, 2011 8dpo, beta#1 9dpo 7: beta#2 14dpo 113: beta#3 20dpo 1467
    Zoe born 8/8/2012
    TTC#2
    BFP 9dpo 7/6/14... stick bean stick!
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I'm not liking food in general right now but like a lot of the ladies here, my diet is carb heavy. I like hate meat...don't even wanna see it. I thought it was the metformin but my OB reduced my dose and it hasn't helped. I could eat cold fruit and cheese all day long lol. I hope it gets better soon.
    Me (29) Hubby (33) Married since 2007
    TTC our First Baby. PCOS 2005. F/MFI.
    HSG 11/9/10 All CLEAR!
    4 Failed IUI/Injectable cycles. 1 Failed IVM
    IVF #2 (2/4/12) Hatching Blast Trans, We're Pregnant!
    3 Snow Babies

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I too had been eating low carb, but cant keep my hands off the bread now, cereal, rice, YUMMY!!!! Especially San Francisco sourdough with a pat of butter. Eye rollingly good. I haven't gained weight yet, am keeping in the Dr. prescribed calorie range (1800-2200) every day. But I am cutting myself some slack on the carbs right now. I want them SO BAD.
    Me: 32 DH: 35
    Learning to parent our very first little peep: Baron, born 3 weeks early on 10/23/12, weighing 6lbs, 10 oz
    Diagnosed in 2000 with PCOS. Conceived on 3rd cycle trying using Fertilitea and taking women's daily vitamins.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content