Thanks

Default Anyone else have swelling (edema)?

I never really had any swelling until I had my daughter. My PCOS kicked into high gear at the same time that the swelling started. I've had tests out the wazoo, but no one can explain why I swell. Even reducing sodium and drinking lots of water doesn't help. When it got to the point my feet were swelling so bad I couldn't stand, the doctor prescribed Lasix, which helps but doesn't totally eliminate the swelling.

As far as I can recall, my doctor didn't run hormone tests on me other than for my thyroid (which was great). The OB/GYN diagnosed PCOS on the basis of irregular cycles, hirsutism, history of cysts, infertility, insulin resistance, difficulty losing weight and concentration of stomach fat.

I'm now wondering if PCOS might not be the cause of my swelling. I have an appointment with my regular doctor next week and I plan to ask her about it, but in the meantime, I thought I'd get some opinions here. Does anyone else have unexplained swelling or have you been told that your swelling is from the PCOS/hormonal imbalance?

better known as MrsH21320 TimeForAChange's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Edema is a classic symptom of Gluten Intoletance/Celiac Disease

Cherries, blueberries & watermelon were my go to from 34-41wks pregnant to reduce swelling
    Tomatoes are great too

HTH 
    Daily supplements:
    *Lifting Heavy 3x a week & 3 HIIT sessions a week * Vit D 5,000iui * Twin Lab pre-natal*
    *Jarrow B-right Complex * Coconut oil * Mint Tea 3x*
    *Coconut oil scalp treatment * SLS Free*
    Hidden Content PCOS (dx 97) Endometriosis (Dx 2004) Incompetent cervix (RIP Gera 11 May 2008 - 22.5 weeks)
    Postpartum thyroiditis (dx 24 Oct 2011, Hyper from 10/24-12/19, normal, 3/14 now Hypo on meds, 7/15 more Hypo, 9/16 normal!)
    Low Cortisol (Dx 3/22 on cortisteriods 2x a day)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Not trying to worry you but is there Edema in your waistline? If yes, hoping no!, this *could* be a sign of a certain cancer
    Daily supplements:
    *Lifting Heavy 3x a week & 3 HIIT sessions a week * Vit D 5,000iui * Twin Lab pre-natal*
    Hidden Content PCOS (dx 97) Endometriosis (Dx 2004) Incompetent cervix (RIP Gera 11 May 2008 - 22.5 weeks)
    Postpartum thyroiditis (dx 24 Oct 2011, Hyper from 10/24-12/19, normal, 3/14 now Hypo on meds, 7/15 more Hypo, 9/16 normal!)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yes I had severe edema in my feet almost all of 2011 and it didn't go away until I started losing weight in December 2011 by stopping my sugar and carb intake. I think my edema was caused by high blood pressure and high glucose levels due to my enormous daily sugar intake. Reducing salts is a good idea, but don't forget sugar can cause a whole host of issues too.

Thanks

Timeforachange-I hadn't considered gluten intolerance because I don't have any symptoms of it nor do I have anyone in my family that has it. Does it occur out of the blue with someone who has never had symptoms and no family history? As for the swelling, it occurs in my hands and feet primarily with occasional swelling in my legs and face.

Tina Castle-My blood pressure is good and the swelling continues even when I'm watching what I'm eating.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure but Pregnancy can trigger alot! PCOSDiva.com says 7 days gluten free will show a differnce if you are sensitive, can't hurt to try

Shot in the dark but check out NotPCOS.com
    Daily supplements:

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I had it in my lower legs, and turns out it was due to fibroids.

Thanks

Thanks for all the ideas ladies. I plan to bring it up with the doctor on Tuesday. I'm also going to ask her to order tests on my hormones since I'd like to see where they are. I just wish I'd thought of this before my appointment earlier this week because I just had bloodwork done yesterday for other stuff.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Good luck! Keep us posted 
    Daily supplements:

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Oh my goodness, I've had had swelling for years even before I had been diagnosed with PCOS!! My hands become very tight and hard to grip, as well as all the way from my knees to my feet get extremely swollen. I become swollen to the point where my legs become extremely sore!

Thanks

I had major swelling. I felt like my whole body was swollen and it was making my brain foggy. I have read some places that PCOS can cause major inflammatory reactions, it's the main way our bodies defend themselves against toxins. The way I look at it is that our bodies have a hard time processing our hormones, and in my body insulin. It's a reaction to being slightly toxic to ourselves.

There is one thing I can say and that is EAT MUSHROOMS! There are no where near enough of these in our daily lives and mushrooms can reduce inflammation in the whole body. You'd be surprised at how well they work. Some also help with allergies and almost all of them boost your immune system overall. I'm not talking button mushrooms, portabella, or crimini mushrooms-which are all the same genetic variety. Pretty much any other mushroom you can get your hands on will support your health much more: King Oysters, Shiitake and Miatake are some examples of delicious edible mushrooms.

I personally have had amazing results using a homemade Reishi mushroom tincture. The first day I took it I could feel a huge difference in my inflammation. After taking it for four days I could fit into a smaller bra size, so my body shrunk from all of the swelling. When I take my socks off now there aren't painful marks where they used to be. It also has helped my extreme nasal swelling from allergies. I highly suggest everyone research Reishi mushroom properties.

Thanks

Just got back from the doctor. I had printed out a page on estrogen dominance that specifically mentioned edema to show her. She thought it was worth following up on so she gave me an order to get labs done. When I first decided to ask her, I was worried about having the labs done at a different point in my cycle than they're usually done, but as it turns out AF finally started this morning so I'll be able to have them done on CD3 if I wait until Thursday.

KaraMac-I hadn't considered mushrooms. I don't care for them, mainly a texture thing I think, but I'd be willing to try a tincture. I'll look into it. Thanks!
    Last edited by smokeymtngirl; 04-17-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: fix spelling error
    Married since 2005.
    Miscarriage 2005, DD born 2006, miscarriage 2007, no pregnancies since. TTC since June 2007.
    Diagnosed PCOS 2010.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Glad she ordered labs my other Endo (I have 2 trying to get one, not this one!) said ED is not "real" and wouldn't do a work up 
    Real meaning western medincine acknowledged
    Daily supplements: