Thanks

Default Got a bfp this afternoon, chances of false positive?

I was diagnosed with PCOS in September 2011. I went on the nuvaring in October with periods once every 3 months. After going on it I had some pain and bleeding that lasted for most of Novembers. My Dr. Said it was normal.

I had my last period march 11 - 14th. I put a new ring in a week after taking the old one out.

Since last Friday I had been having cramping in my abdomen. It felt like period cramps but there was never any blood or other issues. I have it as we speak.

Well today I thought I'd take a pregnancy test to rule out any thoughts of the cramps being due to well, being pregnant. Imagine my shock when I saw a BFP!!! I even took the test at 2:30pm, so it wasn't as concentrated as it would have been in the morning. I took another one of a different brand after going to Walgreens to purchase more. That was positive, too.

I have never been pregnant before. After years of unprotected sex with my boyfriend I'd never gotten pregnant (due to what I now know as pcos). I go back on birth control to give my ovaries a break and get pregnant.

Could there be any chance they were both false positives? I'm not on any medications other than the nuvaring and my inhaler for asthma. It was found back in September that both ovaries were covered in cysts. From what I've read is the baby produces the hcg needed for a bfp (and obviously to be pregnant!)

Thoughts?

Thank you

Makes lemonade often. HakunaMatata's Avatar
    Thanks

Your eggo is preggo. The natural reaction is to say congratulations but...it sounds like you were trying to prevent. Still, congrats, and hope it all works out!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HakunaMatata For This Useful Post:

defygravity (04-13-2012),TallGirl384 (04-13-2012)

Thanks

Remove the ring and see the doctor congrats!
    Me - Nicole 31 and Hubby - Floyd 36
    Together 14yrs and Married 10yrs
    Three kiddos: Nathan 16, Breonna 14, and Camden 3 all by the miracle of adoption!

Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NicoleP80 For This Useful Post:

TallGirl384 (04-13-2012)

Thanks

A line is a line! Congratulations on the BFP. Go see a doctor and schedule your Beta HCG test!
    Me- Early 30's Hidden Content DH- Mid 30's
    12/28 1st cycle Clomid (50mg CD2-6) OPK CD 17, 26mm follicle on CD 18 - HCG trigger, BFN
    01/29 2nd cycle Clomid (50mg CD2-6): OPK CD 32 (HCG Pregnyl trigger) - O'd on CD33 -super late!
    03/12 - DPO12- BFP! Hidden Content (HPT) (DPO13 BETA= 140.9 / DPO 15 BETA= 340/ DPO 22 BETA= 5,490)
    My chart:
    Hidden Content
    New momma to an adorable little boy. Have faith. Be strong. Dreams come true.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to calamansi For This Useful Post:

TallGirl384 (04-13-2012)

Blessed beyond measure Stormy77's Avatar
    Thanks

Getting preggo on bcp with pcos is not uncommon. The pills regulate the hormones enough to release a good egg.

congrats!! hope you have a healthy an happy 9 mths
    Shannon, married 15 yrs to the love of my life. Adopted mom to 22 yr old Lacey, stepmom to 17 yr old Holly, mommy to Trinity and Jacob

Hidden Content Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stormy77 For This Useful Post:

TallGirl384 (04-13-2012)

Thanks

Yes, unless you are following the HCG diet or somehow have artificial HCG in you (usually for fertility treatments, which it sounds like you were TTA, rather than TTC), I'd say you are pregnant! Congrats, kids come on their own timeline sometimes, hope everything works out okay for you!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HarleyGirl93 For This Useful Post:

TallGirl384 (04-13-2012)

Thanks

I've never heard of a false positive. False negatives happen once in a while, but as far as I know false positives do not. I am about 6 weeks along right now and I've had cramps similar to yours for the past three weeks. Congrats!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bford84 For This Useful Post:

TallGirl384 (04-13-2012)

Thanks

Definitely call your doctor right away. And check about your asthma meds right away too since some can't be taken while pregnant. Good luck!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jdivis83 For This Useful Post:

TallGirl384 (04-13-2012)

Thanks

I called my doctor today and he's not in until Monday. So I plan on calling then.

I've been wanting a baby for a few years now. It was just a few weeks ago that I had decided that we'd wait a few years and try for a baby. I had just quit my job. Last Thursday was my last day and a week later I find out I'm pregnant!! I definitely want this baby and HOPE that I don't lose it. I'm just worried now about not having health insurance. Though, here in Michigan, I think I will qualify now for Medicaid.

I told my Mom, Brother, and Sister-in-law today. All three were as shocked as I was to find out I got pregnant while on birth control, though, now I know that with women who have PCOS it isn't so uncommon. I'm just wondering now when I actually conceived since I only have a period 1/3 months. I'm also worried now that having the ring in up until finding out about the pregnancy will cause problems.

My sister-in-law is due July 28th with their first child... a girl! She gave me a bunch of prenatal vitamins to take. She was so excited that she cried. lol

Reality hasn't hit yet. However, I am noticing other things. Like how I can smell EVERYTHING and the fact that I think I've sneezed more in the past week than in my entire life! I was telling my Mom about how I couldn't stop sneezing and my nose was running like a faucet and she told me those were her first symptoms of being pregnant. She thought she had a cold, took a test, and got that bfp (she was pregnant with me!!)

Thank you all for your support! I feel like I'll be worrying for the next 9 months. But I am excited!! I already have 2 beautiful nieces and a 3rd on the way. This Christmas should be awesome! (Based on a baby calculator I'm due 12/16/12!!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HakunaMatata View Post
    Your eggo is preggo. The natural reaction is to say congratulations but...it sounds like you were trying to prevent. Still, congrats, and hope it all works out!
    I'd say a congratulations are in order. I wasn't necessarily trying to prevent but rather was trying to take care of my body and give my ovaries a break.

Now, I feel like it's meant to be.

Thanks!!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TallGirl384 For This Useful Post:

HakunaMatata (04-14-2012)

Thanks

So you were using the ring correctly?
    I am on the ring so that makes me nervous LOL
    Congrats!
    (Jess) 27Hidden Content (Chris) 30

Hidden Content Our 4 Munchkins:
    Joshua- 6yrs, Dominick- 3yrs, Luciana- 2yrs & Addison- born 10/24/13 7lb-11oz and 20in

Hidden Content

Thanks

Yes, I was using it correctly. I'd had it out for that week of my period and put a new one back in.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smeets88 View Post
    So you were using the ring correctly?
    I am on the ring so that makes me nervous LOL
    Congrats!
    Hadnt you started a thread after your last baby because you were worried about being pregnant even though using the ring? And a bunch of people chimed in about getting pg while using it? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Op- I'm glad that you are excited about being pregnant. Lots of people get pg while on bc and have normal pregnancies. Try not to stress too much.

Makes lemonade often. HakunaMatata's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TallGirl384 View Post
    I'd say a congratulations are in order. I wasn't necessarily trying to prevent but rather was trying to take care of my body and give my ovaries a break.

Now, I feel like it's meant to be.

Thanks!!
    Well, then, CONGRATS - officially!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdivis83 View Post
    Hadnt you started a thread after your last baby because you were worried about being pregnant even though using the ring? And a bunch of people chimed in about getting pg while using it? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Op- I'm glad that you are excited about being pregnant. Lots of people get pg while on bc and have normal pregnancies. Try not to stress too much.
    Ha, that was me! It is the only BC that doesn't give me a boat load of side effects.
    (Jess) 27Hidden Content (Chris) 30

Hidden Content Our 4 Munchkins:
    Joshua- 6yrs, Dominick- 3yrs, Luciana- 2yrs & Addison- born 10/24/13 7lb-11oz and 20in

Hidden Content