Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Metformin vs. Clomid...where should I start?

We have been TTC for 7 months now. I am 37 years old (so "advanced" maternal age), and I have been charting/using OPKs the entire time we have been TTC. We already have two children, and I'm not 100% convinced I want to go to extreme measures to have a third.

I have a follow-up appointment with my OB/GYN in a few weeks, and I'm wondering what the next steps should be. She mentioned Clomid at our last appointment, but I'm not sure if I want to start taking it...I think I'd like to try metformin first. Some info about me:

- diagnosed with PCOS about 6 months ago based on ultrasound
    - I ovulate every month (clear temp shift when I chart)
    - I am not very overweight (could lose 10-15 pounds...most of which has crept on in the past 2 years)
    - no issues conceiving 1st child, 15 months to conceive 2nd child, but I only charted for the last 2 cycles that time
    - haven't had the levels tested, but I'm pretty sure I have the signs of high testostorone (excess hair, acne, etc.)

I'm thinking that since I'm already ovulating, maybe clomid isn't right for me? Doesn't clomid just help you ovulate? I'm thinking of asking her to prescribe metformin for me to try instead...kind of hoping I can regulate my hormones and possibly lose a few pounds along with getting pregnant.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Any ideas of questions I should ask at my next appointment? Thanks!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think Metformin is a great choice to start off with. It can regulate the hormones that are out of balance when PCOS is interfering. And as you said, you can try Clomid after if the Metformin doesn't do it for ya.
    "..the only way to achieve the impossible, is to believe it's possible." ~Alice in Wonderland
    Me- 31 Husband- 41 (married 10 years)
    TTC 10 years- trying to adopt now

DX: Hypothyroid, Gastroparesis, Insulin Resistance, PCOS, Endometriosis (in 2004), Unicornuate Uterus

We will love you forever Pumpkynz's Avatar
    Thanks

I would start with Metformin for a few cycles. I also ovulate on my own and get clear temp shifts. But my ovulations are weak based on my progesterone level 7 dpo. Because of that I need clomid or Femara to help produce a better quality egg.
    Misty (31) Hidden Content Jeff (34)
    Allysa Paige 09/09/99 & Tyler James 07/01/05
    Gastric Bypass April 24th, 2013!!! Thank God!!!

Hidden Content

Lost our precious baby boy Braxton on September 14 , 2011 @ 12.6 weeks
    "An Angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth. And whispered as she closed the book "too beautiful for earth.

Thanks

Thanks ladies!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

If you are insulin resistant (bloodwork will let you know) you should start with metformin for a few months. Clomid or femara (from what I understand) doesn't make you ovulate. It helps follicles develop into a large enough size that they can release. If you aren't ovulating on your own you will most likely need a trigger shot to do that.
    Hidden Content Married 7/9/11 Hidden Content TTC since 7/11, Diagnosed 11/11
    Every combination of femara/follistim = 7 bfn's
    IVF #1 = 41 eggs, 4 perfect day 5& 6 blasts frozen due to OHSS
    Oct 2012 Surprise bfp while on bcp?! MC @ 5 1/2 weeks

Jan. 2013 FET 2 day 5&6 blasts= BFP!
    Beta # 1: 885, #2: 3365 Baby Girl born 9/18/13
    Hidden Content

Green Fields~Golden Sands DiamondInTheRough's Avatar
    Thanks

If I had to do it all over again, I would have started with Metformin. Even if your bloodwork doesn't indicate IR, it can be helpful. Mine didn't indicate IR, yet I started ovulating immediately and conceived my youngest within 5 months.
    Hidden Content Married SAHM - Me(35) DH(40)Hidden Content
    DS1 (2003) Clomid, IC Miracle - Bedrest, DS2 (2007) Metformin, IC Miracle - Cerclage
    Angel Baby @ 18 wks (2001) Bicornuate uterus, IC "To God we belong, and to Him is our return." Qur'an 2:156

Registered User vancouverNicole's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I was going to say the same thing about getting on Met even if you're not IR.
    Me (31) DH (33) - Married Sept 2007
    TTC Naturally Sept 2008-2010
    Clomid round 2 Dec 2010- 50mg - BFP... but didn't stick Hidden Content (confirmed lost at 6 weeks)
    Clomid round 5 August 2011- 50mg + Met & progesterone - BFP!
    Hidden Content Healthy DD born on her due date! May 9th, 2012. Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks again for the responses ladies.

Well, got my frickin' period again this morning...here we go again. I really don't want to waste another cycle before trying metformin, but my appointment isn't until the first week of May. Can a GP prescribe met, or does it have to be an ob/gyn? I think I might just ask my GP to prescribe it for me this week and start right away if it is possible...thanks!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

If you have a good rapport with your doctor and there's an understanding of what needs to be next and they agree, they should be able to just call it in. Ask them!
    "..the only way to achieve the impossible, is to believe it's possible." ~Alice in Wonderland
    Me- 31 Husband- 41 (married 10 years)
    TTC 10 years- trying to adopt now

DX: Hypothyroid, Gastroparesis, Insulin Resistance, PCOS, Endometriosis (in 2004), Unicornuate Uterus

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You don't have to start met at a particular point in your cycle, and your GP can prescribe it.
    Clomid round 2 Dec 2010- 50mg - BFP... but didn't stick Hidden Content (confirmed lost at 6 weeks)

Thanks

Thanks!

Thanks

I agree with the advice you've received on here. I've been taking Met even though I don't think I'm IR (I wasn't when I was tested in 2002 and things seemed fine a couple of years ago), and I don't ovulate on my own. I did get a CD 24 ovulation with Met (and I think acupuncture helped) and got pg, but I lost that one. I am really advanced maternal age (41.5), and I think my egg quality is so-so. I think Met is a great place to start. Clomid always gives me cysts.

Just keep in mind that the Met has some GI side effects that can range from mild (what I had) to fairly heavy. The doc usually starts you on a lower dose and you ramp up over a couple of weeks. Also, it will usually take a little time for the Met to make a difference.

Acupuncture could also help regulate your hormones and improve egg quality. I have been doing it for a couple of months and I think it's really helped with some things already. Best of luck to you!
    Cheryl 42, DH 40
    IVF 9/03 w/only 1 viable embryo - BFP!!! Wow!!!
    DD born 06/04, perfectly healthy!
    4 losses - 3/11, 3/12, 12/12, 4/13
    1 blast (Tonto) frozen from 11/12 IVF
    FET - 3/29/13 - Good Friday Hidden Content
    BFP at 4dp5dt on 4/2/13!! STICK, TONTO, STICK!!! Beta 1: 166 Beta 2: 310 (53 hrs) Beta 3: 662 (44 hrs)Hidden Content M/C 5/1/13 Hidden Content 4 babies in Heaven, and I won't send any more. We are DONE.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I didn't do well with the side effects from regular met, but glucopage (extended release met) has been great. Just as another option.

Thanks

Vancouver - do you only have to take the ER version once per day? I think the OB who prescribed it for me said the ER version wasn't shown to be as effective for PCOS. I fired him for other reasons, so who knows. I just *hate* having to take that stupid pill 3 times per day!!! Many days I forget at least one dose.
    Cheryl 42, DH 40
    IVF 9/03 w/only 1 viable embryo - BFP!!! Wow!!!
    DD born 06/04, perfectly healthy!
    4 losses - 3/11, 3/12, 12/12, 4/13
    1 blast (Tonto) frozen from 11/12 IVF
    FET - 3/29/13 - Good Friday Hidden Content
    BFP at 4dp5dt on 4/2/13!! STICK, TONTO, STICK!!! Beta 1: 166 Beta 2: 310 (53 hrs) Beta 3: 662 (44 hrs)Hidden Content M/C 5/1/13 Hidden Content 4 babies in Heaven, and I won't send any more. We are DONE.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yah, I take 3 huge pills once a day (with dinner). Interesting about it not being as effective... For me it is pretty much the only way i can get my dose up to 1500mgs, I could never get that high with regular met.