Thanks

Default Help understanding GTT results

My Endo did not think that I needed a GTT since my fasting insulin and glucose numbers were in the normal range. I requested a GTT checking glucose and insulin and she said that she would order one. I show up at the lab on Friday for my GTT to find out that she did not order insulin. The lab took blood work each time except the 1st time (fasting) to check insulin and said that they would contact my dr when she got in at 10 am to see if she would order the test. My Endo refused to order insulin to be checked to so I had the extra blood taken for nothing. I have my GTT results, but my Endo is saying that the results are normal. Three of the four test results are high so I don't know how they can be normal.

Here are my results and the email that I received from my Endo:
    Your 2 hr glucose tolerance test is normal.We look at fasting and 2 hr glucose values to diagnose diabetes or prediabetes.

Component Latest Ref Rng 4/6/2012
    GLUC FAST 70 - 99 mg/dL 99
    GLUC 30M P/ CHAL 100 - 165 mg/dL 182 (H)
    GLUC 1H P/ CHAL 120 - 155 mg/dL 188 (H)
    GLUC 2H P/ CHAL 75 - 120 mg/dL 121 (H)

Any advice on how to respond back to my doctor's email or advice on the results?
    I think if I had the insulin numbers it would help explain a lot.

Thanks

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated! I was only diagnosed late last year.

Green Fields~Golden Sands DiamondInTheRough's Avatar
    Thanks

This is an incredibly comprehensive site. You'll have to sift through a bit, but there are charts on how to read your results and what they mean: http://www.inciid.org/faq.php?cat=co...arymed&id=2#81
    Hidden Content Married SAHM - Me(35) DH(40)Hidden Content
    DS1 (2003) Clomid, IC Miracle - Bedrest, DS2 (2007) Metformin, IC Miracle - Cerclage
    Angel Baby @ 18 wks (2001) Bicornuate uterus, IC "To God we belong, and to Him is our return." Qur'an 2:156

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DiamondInTheRough For This Useful Post:

jnsaba (04-19-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondInTheRough View Post
    This is an incredibly comprehensive site. You'll have to sift through a bit, but there are charts on how to read your results and what they mean: http://www.inciid.org/faq.php?cat=co...arymed&id=2#81
    Thank you so much for the link to the website. It looks like my numbers are not normal, but my Endo insists that they are. I guess it is time to find a new Endo.

Green Fields~Golden Sands DiamondInTheRough's Avatar
    Thanks

No problem! I hope you get things figured out. Sometimes just the slightest variations can cause issues.
    Hidden Content Married SAHM - Me(35) DH(40)Hidden Content
    DS1 (2003) Clomid, IC Miracle - Bedrest, DS2 (2007) Metformin, IC Miracle - Cerclage
    Angel Baby @ 18 wks (2001) Bicornuate uterus, IC "To God we belong, and to Him is our return." Qur'an 2:156