Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Ovarian drilling - did you have it?

Hello fellow SCs, I had Ovarian Drilling done 2 days ago. I am feeling much better today, but still having some discomfort in my abdomen. I've also been bleeding off and on since surgery. My questions to you are:
    1. When did you stop bleeding?
    2. When did you feel completely normal and able to bend over?
    3. How long after surgery did you wait to DTD?
    4. When did you have your first cycle?
    5. Did you notice any changes in yourself? Increase libido? Weight loss? Less or more zits? Etc??

Thanks ladies!
    Lisa (34)

9/2011 - dx PCOS
    10/11 to 3/12- multiple medicated cycles - Ovarian Drilling/ Lap on 4/13/12 - first O ever 10 days after!
    9/28/12 - BIG SURPRISE!! no meds, no temps, no OPK's = BFP!!
    June 2013 -
    It's a BOY!

November 2014 - surprise BFP with #2!

Thanks

1. When did you stop bleeding? 10 days? It was super light after 3 days though.
    2. When did you feel completely normal and able to bend over? It was only a few days, but the gas traveled to my neck and caused a crazy muscle spasm, which was MUCH more dibilitating than the surgical site.
    3. How long after surgery did you wait to DTD? I think it was a good 3 weeks. We may have waited until after AF arrived, which was 28 days after surgery.
    4. When did you have your first cycle? Surgery acted as CD 1 and I had perfect 28 day cycles. Conceived 3rd cycle post-op.
    5. Did you notice any changes in yourself? Increase libido? Weight loss? Less or more zits? Etc?? YES! This was the best part. Since going of birth control I had a terrible time with weight gain (25lbs), acne, facial hair... it was horrible! My body just went back to being as messed up as it was before going on the Pill at age 21, even though I had lost and kept off 80+lbs. Ridiculous! I was also having horrendous pelvic pain, which was the reason for having the sugery. Within about 3 weeks I started feeling a WORLD of difference. No more acne, facial hair under control, and I lost every bit of those 25lbs. Oh, and no more pain. Then I got my BFP

Me: 30 DH: 34
    DS: 11/21/11
    Ovarian Drilling Success Story! Surgery 12/22/10 :: BFP 3/22/11
    Baby girl EDD: 5/24/14

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennymae For This Useful Post:

Lpmh919 (04-15-2012)

Thanks

Thanks, jennymae! It's great to hear success stories! BFP as well as improved wellness, that is awesome! I'm also having what the dr's call "referred pain" from anesthesia in my neck and shoulders. At times, it is more painful than the lap holes. I've been weaning off the Vicodin today, regular Tylenol has been doing the trick. I return to work on Tuesday, I think I'll be in ok shape to make it 8 hours of light duty by then.
    Lisa (34)

9/2011 - dx PCOS
    10/11 to 3/12- multiple medicated cycles - Ovarian Drilling/ Lap on 4/13/12 - first O ever 10 days after!
    June 2013 -
    It's a BOY!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

1. When did you stop bleeding?
    About 2 weeks after. I also had a D&C as well. I had a few days of a pretty heavy flow that I actully went to the ER but everything was fine.
    2. When did you feel completely normal and able to bend over?
    I think I am different from the norm but I had a hard time with this surgery. I was in a lot of pain and wasnt 100% for probably 3 weeks. the gas made me so uncomfotable and couldnt have a bowel movement or fart for days. I also had issues peeing for a good week.
    3. How long after surgery did you wait to DTD?
    about 4 weeks.
    4. When did you have your first cycle?
    Because of some other issues I had going on I was on birth control for 1 month after. AF came the day after stopping it and then She came again exaclty 28 days later and did the same following the next 3 cycles. the fourth one I was pregnant.

5. Did you notice any changes in yourself? Increase libido? Weight loss? Less or more zits? Etc??
    I cycled normally for the first time ever. I felt better overall. I had already been losing weight but it deffinatly helped i think. And I also go pregnant.
    Katy IHidden Content My Veteran!
    Ovarian drilling/D&C/Scope on 8/3/2011. Metformin 1000Mg Lost 75lbs using low carb
    BFP!! 12/29/11 (our mircale after 3 years!)
    Blake Gilpin Born 9/3/12.. A big bundle of perfect!
    Current: TTC baby #2- metformin 1000mg, natural cycles

Thanks

Thanks babyringo! Today is 6 days after surgery and my spotting is still there, but definitely slowed down a lot. I only know its there when I wipe, there is nothing on the pad. I still have some soreness from my breastbone done to my lower pelvis, and it definitely hurts if I accidentally bump my incision. I haven't had to take any Vicodin or even Tylenol for 2 days now. I have been noticing improvements every day.
    Lisa (34)

9/2011 - dx PCOS
    June 2013 -
    It's a BOY!

Thanks

Well, I figured I would update this to share my experience with others who might also have this procedure. Today is 10 days post surgery, I feel as if I am 90% back to normal. I still have some slight pain at the incision sites, the steri stripes have not fallen off yet. I am going back to the gym today, and I feel that I can lift, bend, squat, bear down and everything thing else with minimal pain. Today, and yesterday too, I started getting some EWCM. Headache also today. Only today did I start using OPKs however, I don't think we are supposed to BD until my post op appt next Monday. Regardless, I want a cycles to start so I know I can start fresh trying on a new cycle. I just feel like to much happened to my insides this month to try to get pg this month. So far, feeling really good about this surgery!
    Lisa (34)

9/2011 - dx PCOS
    June 2013 -
    It's a BOY!

Thanks

Lisa,
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am debating on trying the surgery and wanted to know if it was successful for anyone. I can now see through your thread that it has been successful for some.
    If you do not mind me asking, what did you try before the surgery. Did you do injectables or IvF. I have been on metforim for about a year and a half and have done 3 rounds of clomid with zero success. I am now on metformin and actos. We are trying to go in progression of cost. We know that injectables and IfV will be the most costly so we are trying everything before going to those options.
    I would love your thoughts along with those of anyone else who has been through the process.

Thanks,
    Kortney (​35) DH-Shawn (31)
    Diagnosed 2011, TTC since October 2012,Diagnosed clomid resistant
    Oed on Actos, Metformin and Clomid days 5-9Hidden Content
    8/3/12 IUI - clomid, metformin, actos and ovidrel trigger-BFN
    9/12-clomid, metformin, actos and Ovidrel trigger-BFN
    10/12- No O- One month break
    11/12- clomid, metformin, actos-iui-BFN
    1/13-IVF#1-BFP- Twins
    Hidden Content [/SIGPIC]nippet: HTML, Use for some forums.

Thanks

If you have insurance, the surgery can be more cost effective because it's covered, whereas most other treatments are not (or you are the rarity that has infertility coverage).

I tried Clomid and it was a big failure. I had issues beyond infertility and I felt that doing injects would only make things worse. If you are ONLY looking to get pregnant your opinion on this may vary. I felt that the surgery would alleviate my symptoms, which it did.

Me: 30 DH: 34
    DS: 11/21/11
    Ovarian Drilling Success Story! Surgery 12/22/10 :: BFP 3/22/11
    Baby girl EDD: 5/24/14

Thanks

I had it done in 2006 and got my BFP with just timed intercourse on the third cycle from the surgery.

1. When did you stop bleeding? I bled/spotted for 5 days
    2. When did you feel completely normal and able to bend over? Within a week
    3. How long after surgery did you wait to DTD? We DTD fairly early (prolly when I felt "normal again"), but were using condoms, until I had my first AF
    4. When did you have your first cycle? My first cycle after the OD bleeding stopped was 26 days after the surgery, although I was not charting to see if it was ovulatory.
    5. Did you notice any changes in yourself? Increase libido? Weight loss? Less or more zits? Etc?? I started cycling normally, next cycle was 28days long, and then second cycle would have been 28d long too, but I got my BFP then, and DS1 was born the following February. I've been cycling fairly regularly since the OD and it varies from 28-35days.

Thanks

HarleyGirl,
    I am so happy to read your story. I am freaking out a little bit. I am 35 and my DH is 31. We were married in October of 2010 and I started seeing my RI immediately. I had some other unrelated health issues and had to have multiple surgeries before my RI would clear me to begin any sort of reproductive medicine. We officially started TTC in November of 2011. I have already taken clomid with no success and am now on Actos. My other options are to do injectables or IVF but they are so expensive. I am wondering if ovarian drilling will be a good fit for me. Also, do any of you ladies know what the likelihood of it working? I have a list of questions that I have for my RI but I am just chomping at the bit. Lately I am uber sensitive to the reality that I may never become a mother. Have any of you seen these Johnson and Johnson commercials or the ones for Hallmark? I swear my ovaries hurt just watching them I recently found this site and reading all of your success stories gives me the hope that I so desperately need right now.
    Thanks Again
    1/13-IVF#1-BFP- Twins

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lpmh919 View Post
    Hello fellow SCs, I had Ovarian Drilling done 2 days ago. I am feeling much better today, but still having some discomfort in my abdomen. I've also been bleeding off and on since surgery. My questions to you are:
    1. When did you stop bleeding? I only spotted for a few days.
    2. When did you feel completely normal and able to bend over? I was lucky in that I didn't have much abdominal pain/discomfort. I was advised not to bend over or do any house chores/lifting for a few weeks so I really took it easy. I also tried to roll out of bed gently so that I don't use my abdominal muscles when getting up. I was mainly tired and not very energetic after the surgery but was feeling fine about a week after.
    3. How long after surgery did you wait to DTD? I was told about 2 weeks but I played it safe and waited almost 4 weeks.
    4. When did you have your first cycle? I didn't ovulate before the drilling and I didn't respond to Clomid or Femara, so I ended up doing the drilling. Even though I still didn't cycle on my own after the surgery, I was able to respond to Femara after the drilling!
    5. Did you notice any changes in yourself? Increase libido? Weight loss? Less or more zits? Etc?? No changes.

Thanks ladies!
    Good luck and speedy recovery!
    TTC #1 with PCOS since Aug 2010
    Clomid-resistant, 1500mg Metformin, Ovarian Drilling Nov 2011
    BFP - Cycle #2 post drilling w/ 7.5mg Femara! - EDD Nov 17 2012

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

Lpmh919 (04-25-2012)

Thanks

@sturhank - before surgery, I had gone through 4 cycles of medication, varying amounts and days of clomid, plus Bravelle (injectable), plus ovidrel which is hcg trigger, plus progesterone supplements. And on the 4th cycle, the anti-estrogen effects of clomid did not allow a nice and plump lining, so I also took estrace for a few days. Our last cycle was our first IUI. We decided that since we weren't going anywhere, and the surgery was covered, we would try this. With insurance, it cost us $225 total. Without insurance, I was quoted $16,000. We have bcbs. I easily was spending that in one month for meds and company's for ultrasound monitoring.

@harleygirl - glad to hear you have been 6years cycling normally, that is so great!

Afm, today is 12 days post op. Monday night I had some Ewcm, so I did a OPK test. It was positive! Yesterday morning I did another OPK test, it again was positive! And more Ewcm! I contacted my dr office since I haven't even been seen for my post op appt and asked about DTD. RN said go for it! No reason not to! I really wish I would have started temping after the surgery,I didn't really expect to have a pos OPK so soon. I have never had one before! I am going to count tomorrow as 1 dpo since I still had a pos OPK this morning.
    Lisa (34)

9/2011 - dx PCOS
    June 2013 -
    It's a BOY!

Thanks

Lisa,
    That is great news!!!! I will keep you in my prayers tonight.
    Thanks for sharing your story. I talked to my RI yesterday about drilling. She wants to induce AF with provera and then try another round of clomid with Actos and then if I still have not Oed then I will most likely do the drilling seeing as my insurance will also pay for it but will not pay for IVF or injectables.
    Best of luck to you.
    1/13-IVF#1-BFP- Twins

Thanks

Hiya hope you don't mind me joining the conversation. I am due to have my OD op on Thursday. Feeling quite nervous about it = especially the gen anaesthetic bit (had one before and was quite poorly afterwards but think that was because i had a temp before op) but also positive that this might do the trick to getting pregnant. Any more news from thos who are waiting for bfps??? Also any advice on how I can minimise any pain.

Thanks

Huh... I didn't think they did drilling anymore.