Thanks

Question alternatives to provera?

Hi all,
    Metformin has really helped to regular my cycles (every 35-42 days, which is a huge improvement!). However, I'm currently on CD50 with no sign on AF. I was starting to get excited but have taken several hpt, all of which were negative. In the past (before met), doc would prescribe provera after 2-3 months of no AF, which always worked like a charm inducing AF. Problem is...it makes me a raging b*tch! I can hardly stand taking it. Which is why I would like to ask...does anyone know of any alternative remedies to inducing AF? I've thought of starting Vitex, but I know that takes a couple of months to get working. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
    me 27 (Lean PCOS) Hidden Content dh 32
    1st HSG Nov 2012- blocked left tube
    2nd HSG July 2014- open tubes, bicornuate uterus?
    TTC #1 since early 2011
    May 2011- m/c @ 9 weeks + D&C
    July 2011- lap to remove dermoid cyst
    TTC naturally until July 2012, BFNs
    August 2012-February 2013- 6 rounds of Clomid, 1 IUI, O'd every cycle, BFNs
    Since then....: several cycles of soy isos, O'd, BFN
    Moving onto IVF in the fall of 2014

Thanks

I've heard that the side effects of Provera (moodiness, etc) are because it's a synthetic progesterone. You might try natural progesterone cream. I know some women have had success using it to bring on AF. SisterZeus has a page on herbs to bring on AF.
    Married since 2005.
    Miscarriage 2005, DD born 2006, miscarriage 2007, no pregnancies since. TTC #2 since June 2007.
    Diagnosed PCOS 2010.
    Current Supplements: B12, B6, D3, Multivitamin, Folic Acid, Fish Oil, Aspirin, Femaprin, EPO, Red Raspberry Leaf Tea
    PCOS Meds: Metformin, Provera

Thanks

Well, I tired the Parsley tea that was suggested on the link you gave me. I drank 3 strong cups of it but that was all I could tolerate! It's disgusting. On CD 57 with no sign of AF. Arggg. Guess I'm headed to the doctor to get some provera
    me 27 (Lean PCOS) Hidden Content dh 32
    1st HSG Nov 2012- blocked left tube
    2nd HSG July 2014- open tubes, bicornuate uterus?
    TTC #1 since early 2011
    May 2011- m/c @ 9 weeks + D&C
    July 2011- lap to remove dermoid cyst
    TTC naturally until July 2012, BFNs
    August 2012-February 2013- 6 rounds of Clomid, 1 IUI, O'd every cycle, BFNs
    Since then....: several cycles of soy isos, O'd, BFN
    Moving onto IVF in the fall of 2014

Thanks
    Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,757 Posts

You can ask for just plain progesterone as well. That's what I've gotten this month and one other time. I get a 10 day course of generic prometrium and it works just fine. It's closer to actual progesterone, so you'd avoid any effects from a synthetic. It worked for me before and I expect it'll work this time as well.
    Justine (33) Hidden Content DH (34)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "In truth, the art of baby making is not an art at all, nor even a science,
    but completely governed by the absolute nonsensical unknown that is at the heart of all existence here on earth and elsewhere." - Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

I've had the problem with moodiness on provera. When my ob/gyn put me on provera monthly, my regular doctor gave me lexapro to take at the same time. The lexapro helps me a lot.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hi! Dong Quai Root can get af going but stop taking it after it starts to flow like a normal af,if you stop while just spotting it won't work. make sure you are not pregnant though. take 1000mg every 4hrs should start af in a day or 2. google it and you'll find lots about it. all the best.
    Hidden Content Pcos is not the boss of me and i WILL have my baby soon...Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    metformin 1000mg,Dong quai root 1090mg, folic acid 800mcg,omega3,dandelion root,vitamin b-12,calcium and eveing primrose oil.
    Took soy isoflavones for the first time: September 2nd-6th...to jump start AF.
    Blog.... Hidden Content
    Youtube channel: Hidden Content