Thanks

Question tolerance to met? anyone experience this?

I've been on met ER 1500 mg, since about Oct 2010. I was never diagnosed (or even tested for) IR, but my doc thought it might help anyways. And it did. It shortened my cycles dramatically and really cleared up my face. Less than 6 months later (March 2011), I got a BFP and miscarried at about 9weeks. About 2 months after D&C for miscarriage, I had surgery to remove a dermoid cyst and also had ovarian drilling. This was in July 2011. Right after this surgery, cycles got even shorter (about 36 days). The past 3 cycles have gotten progressively longer. 38 days, 45 days, and now I am on CD49 or 50 with no sign of AF (and a BFN on 3 HPT). I haven't had a cycle this long since before Metformin! So, I guess my question is, can you develop a tolerance to Metformin? Does it need to be increased from time to time? Anyone have any idea what I am even talking about? HA!
    me 27 (Lean PCOS) Hidden Content dh 32
    1st HSG Nov 2012- blocked left tube
    2nd HSG July 2014- open tubes, bicornuate uterus?
    TTC #1 since early 2011
    May 2011- m/c @ 9 weeks + D&C
    July 2011- lap to remove dermoid cyst
    TTC naturally until July 2012, BFNs
    August 2012-February 2013- 6 rounds of Clomid, 1 IUI, O'd every cycle, BFNs
    Since then....: several cycles of soy isos, O'd, BFN
    Moving onto IVF in the fall of 2014

Registered User eahernandez1914's Avatar
    Thanks

i just started metformin 500 twice a day again i didnt like teh s/e it gave me the first time aroudn so i stopped but im going to stick throuhg it this time!!! i havent had a AF in 5 months!

Thanks

You can develop a tolerance, yes. My experience wasn't as severe as yours, but originally I was only on 1500 mg of Met ER and I was shedding lbs like crazy. My doctor was so impressed that he told me he wasn't going to raise my dose like he originally planned. At that point, I had lost 37 lbs in 4 months. That's fast considering I just cut down on carbs and sugar but didn't exercise. Anyway, I went back 3 months later and found out that I'd only lost another 9 lbs despite the fact that I had changed my diet even more and added vigorous exercise to me life. He told me that I had built up a tolerance to the Met and raised my dose. I know my story is very different than yours, but hopefully it helps explain why I believe you can build a tolerance. Ask your doctor if he thinks it might be a good idea to try a higher dose. My doctor told me that 2000 mg is usually a good dose for woman with IR PCOS. It depends on your height and weight, too. Good luck! I hope you're able to figure it out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:

LackyBand (04-24-2012)