Thanks

Unhappy New to PCOS and frustrated.

After having my son in 2010 i went on birth control pills for 10 months. Dec 2011 i did not get my AF as expected, assuming i must be pregnant i took a few HPT's and when they were - i scheduled an apt with my gyn. After running blood and urine tests i learned i wasn't pregnant but that my progesterone levels were low and my testosterone levels were high. I was perscribed 10mg of Provera once a day for 10 days, and had an u/s done to see what was going on. The u/s showed poly cysts on my ovaries and i learned that i had PCOS. After a visit with my PCP i learned i had begining stages of diabetes so i was perscribed Metformin. After finding out i researched it and it all made sense for the symptoms i had been having. January 2012 i started my first round of provera and on day 8 my AF arrived heavy and just like i thought it would be. Round 2 in February i had only a few days of spotting and then in March after round 3 i had nothing, i did however have pains in my ovaries. I went back to my doctor and told her about how the past few months had gone and she didn't seem concerned at all she said the pain must have been me ovulating and she reccomend i go on either birth control pills again or to get an iud since being on provera and metformin could increase chances of pregnancy. Since i did not want to go back on the pill i agreed to get the IUD but my ins doesn't cover it there so i had to find a gyn that does. I have an apt April 26th with this new doctor and i really hope i can get some more answers. I have been so weak and tired these past few months and i feel miserable, i would like to have another baby but with me not being in best health and being over weight i don't think it's best for me right now. If anyone has anything that can help me better understand all this i would be very greatful. I look forward to meeting people who know exactly what im going through.

Thanks

How much Metformin are you taking? Also you may need a vitamin supplement. Met can make your B12 ( I think?) drop. Are you taking your blood sugar since the dr said you were diabetic? A good portion of us w/ PCOS are also insulin resistant and take Met for that reason. Your hormones being out of wack can also make you feel run down. I would write down questions you have for your doctor. Hopefully they are reasonable well versed on PCOS. If not hopefully they can recommend a doctor that is. PCOS does take a bit of monitoring to keep the symptoms under control. There is also something you can take to help with the high testosterone if you're not actively trying to conceive, Spiro something it is. GL!

Thanks

I'm taking 500mg 2x a day of Metformin and she didn't tell me to check my blood sugar. I have to take a Vitamin D supplement because those were low. I do take a multivitamin also. I definitely will ask him when i see him next week about all this i def will look into finding something to lower my test levels because i really feel thats a big factor in how I have been feeling. Thank you.
    Married since 3/13/2009 Hidden Content

Mommy to:
    Lana Michele Rayne 3/27/2008 ​& Dylan Lee Emmett 11/1/2010

Come Join
    Hidden Content !

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,755 Posts

Welcome to the boards, and the wonderful world of PCOS.

What kind of doctor are you seeing on the 26th? Is it an OB/GYN or an endocrinologist? Also, why are you not interested in keeping on the pill? Just curious - not trying to make you second guess.

Provera is typically taken as you originally mentioned it... a short course over ~10 days and it induces your period. If you haven't had one in a while, it's possible to have a lot of uterine lining that gets shed since it had built up for so long. As long as the bleeding stops in a reasonable amount of time (and you don't bleed for weeks on end) that's typically the normal response. I've generally seen it prescribed to be taken that way every 90 days or so since going much longer than 3 months without a period isn't a good idea. I'm actually calling to get me a new script tomorrow, although it's because I'm ready to start the next round of fertility meds.

Metformin, in many women, balances insulin sufficiently to balance the other hormones involved in PCOS. If I were you, I'd probably wait a few months before looking to add in anything new to work on the testosterone. You may be one of the lucky ones. Also, 500mg 2x/day is about an average dose - I think the highest dose is 2000mg/day, so if your testosterone isn't doing any better in a couple months your doc may want to up the dosage.

Vitamin D is just a good idea all around - almost everyone is deficient and it does more for your body than you'd think. Good luck, and we're glad to have you. Ask away.
    Justine (33) Hidden Content DH (34)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "In truth, the art of baby making is not an art at all, nor even a science,
    but completely governed by the absolute nonsensical unknown that is at the heart of all existence here on earth and elsewhere." - Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

I will just be seeing another gyn i'm hoping he will refer me to an endocrinologist if needed. I just hated having to remember to take it every day and the stress on missing them. Funny thing that really made me push towards Iud is my birth control pills were RECALLED in february the exact lot and exp. date as the last ones i had taken in december. I guess they were arranged wrong in the pack. Those kind of things can really screw with your hormones and i wonder myself if that payed any part into me missing my period in dec. Thank you so very helpful.

Mommy to:

Come Join
    Hidden Content !

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,755 Posts

Holy crap, that's a real great way to cause a lot of problems for people. It could be why you didn't get a period, I wouldn't be surprised. I know it can happen, but typically cycles are clockwork on the pill - that's the whole point of the pill.

I'm glad you're getting a new doctor, and I hope they can give you good support.
    Justine (33) Hidden Content DH (34)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "In truth, the art of baby making is not an art at all, nor even a science,
    but completely governed by the absolute nonsensical unknown that is at the heart of all existence here on earth and elsewhere." - Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Thank you me too.

Mommy to:

Come Join
    Hidden Content !