Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Post Anyone ever been on Provera? (aka progesterone)

I was prescribed this in january 2012 to help absence of AF and since then have only had 1 period. Is that normal? I have these little annoying pains now and again in my ovaries and my lower abdomen but no actual menstral cramps or bleeding. My gyn says it's normal to not have a period on provera but i thought that was why it was prescribed to me? i hope someone can help.

Thanks

Are you taking it all the time or only to induce AF? Usually it's prescribed to be taken 5-10 days and then stopped. The withdrawal brings on AF within a week or two. If you're taking it steady instead of only at the end of your cycle, it will stop AF since you're not getting the withdrawal from it that brings on AF.
    Married since 2005.
    Miscarriage 2005, DD born 2006, miscarriage 2007, no pregnancies since. TTC #2 since June 2007.
    Diagnosed PCOS 2010.
    Current Supplements: B12, B6, D3, Multivitamin, Folic Acid, Fish Oil, Aspirin, Femaprin, EPO, Red Raspberry Leaf Tea
    PCOS Meds: Metformin, Provera

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smokeymtngirl For This Useful Post:

defygravity (04-16-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,744 Posts

^^^ WSS. What's the protocol that your doctor gave you? I hope they didn't give you that to take each day.
    Justine (33) Hidden Content DH (34)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "In truth, the art of baby making is not an art at all, nor even a science,
    but completely governed by the absolute nonsensical unknown that is at the heart of all existence here on earth and elsewhere." - Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

No no it's only for 10 days out of the month i usually take it from the 1st to the 10th of the month. Jan i started it 7-16th and got AF on the 14th it was normal lasted 4 days but in Feb, March and this month i took it 1st- 10th. Feb 16th i spotted for 2 days and march i got nothing and this month is TBA because im not finished with this round. 10 mg 1x a day for 10 days.
    Married since 3/13/2009 Hidden Content

Mommy to:
    Lana Michele Rayne 3/27/2008 ​& Dylan Lee Emmett 11/1/2010

Come Join
    Hidden Content !

Thanks

Ah... that makes more sense. Then, contrary to my comment in your other post, you may not be building much lining in the interim time. This can happen if estrogen isn't dominant enough in the first half of your cycle.

I don't know that you need to induce each month. For one, it's not necessary to have a period every month, just every few months to avoid super heavy build up. Second, many women ovulate later than CD14. So if you bled from Feb 16-18, Feb 16 would be CD1. Doctors will assume that you ovulate on CD14 (March 1), and then you'd get a period two weeks later. The catch, though, is that you may ovulate later - like, CD21, which would have put your ovulation at March 8, but you were already taking Provera at that point to bring on the next period. If you were actively TTC, that would be a real problem. I know you're not, but you still might want to talk with your doctor about taking the Provera quarterly instead and letting your body do its thing during the months in between. Third, particularly taking metformin, you'll want to be able to see if it's affecting your cycles at all and you can't really do that with the protocol they have you following.

Let me know if I confused you.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    but completely governed by the absolute nonsensical unknown that is at the heart of all existence here on earth and elsewhere." - Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

no it makes perfect sense thank you i will definitely ask more Q's at my next apt. I feel my last doc didn't really feel the need to educate me i usually left feeling just as lost as i went in. It's just so frustrating because with me not being on B/c i don't know how i'd know if i was pregnant or even when to test for that matter. I'd hate to be pregnant and not know it. I've spent so much money on HPT's the past few months it's crazy. We don't use condoms, they irritate and hurt me i donno why. Also i've notice pain when we have sex the past 2 times i've been really un comfortable. Is there anything related that could cause that to happen?

Mommy to:

Come Join
    Hidden Content !

Registered User oregoncountrygal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I was having problems with 10 so I decided on my own to do 5 and I have one every month

Thanks

I would talk to your doctor about how they have you taking it. My doctor has me wait until CD45 to give my body a chance to start AF on it's own. Then if it doesn't, I take a HPT to make sure I'm not pregnant and then start the Provera if it's negative. Most of the time, AF comes within a week after my last pill.

As far as the condoms, have you tried changing brands? I had a lot of irritation and discomfort from Lifestyles, but did fine with Trojans. Apparently I'm allergic to the lubricant or spermicide they use on Lifestyles. Another thing to consider is a possible latex allergy, in which case you might want to try a non-latex variety. If I remember right, Trojan has a non-latex variety.

As for the pain during sex, it could be a number of things. If you're not aroused enough at the time of penetration, it could be uncomfortable. It might also be your cervical position at this point in your cycle. If your cervix is low and your partner is bumping it, it can be painful. Changing position so penetration is shallower can help. If it's ongoing pain, I would suggest asking your doctor as there may be a medical reason behind it.
    Married since 2005.
    Miscarriage 2005, DD born 2006, miscarriage 2007, no pregnancies since. TTC #2 since June 2007.
    Diagnosed PCOS 2010.
    Current Supplements: B12, B6, D3, Multivitamin, Folic Acid, Fish Oil, Aspirin, Femaprin, EPO, Red Raspberry Leaf Tea

10. The Following User Says Thank You to smokeymtngirl For This Useful Post:

defygravity (04-17-2012)

Thanks

Oh ok yeah we use lifestyles that must be why, i will get trojans instead thanks! And i think your def right about the cervix position.

Mommy to:

Come Join
    Hidden Content !

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have just taken provera 10mg after not having my period for six months and i got my period on april 8. i have no had my period for two weeks!!! help me!

Thanks

Wait, what? You got your period on April 8th... and you still have it? Or you finished the Provera on April 8th and haven't had a period yet? I'm confused.

One other thing I just wanted to note... Provera and progesterone are actually two different things. Provera is a synthetic medication used to induce a period. You can induce with regular progesterone, but progesterone is also used during the TWW to supplement what your body produces normally. Provera should not be taken if there is a chance of pregnancy.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I stopped taking the Provera on April 5 and got my period on the 8th. I still have it over two weeks later.

Thanks

Brooke, it's not unusual to have a long period if it's been a while. You may quite a bit of lining built up. If it continues, though, you may want to see your doctor as extended bleeding could lead to anemia.
    Married since 2005.
    Diagnosed PCOS 2010.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by defygravity View Post
    ^^^ WSS. What's the protocol that your doctor gave you? I hope they didn't give you that to take each day.
    Not the OP but I was recently prescribed projesterone by a new OBGYN because I have a thickened uterine lining. After taking it everyday for three months, I am supposed to get a second pelvic ultrasound. She said I might bleed for those three months, but so far there's been nothing. Now I'm reading that stopping the projesterone is what brings period on. Am very confused. Have been taking the projesterone daily for about a month and a half now.

Thanks

I had the exact same problem! Progesterone would more often than not fail to prompt a period- a very big deal when ttc. My RE had me switch to using 14 days of birth control pills instead, and I have gotten a period every time. She says the she has seen multiple PCOS patients that are "resistant" to Provera. Best of luck!