Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Trigger Shot - How does this work

Hi, I'm on a 200mg Clomid cycle and on CD11. I went for an U/S today and had several folliciles - one measured 18mm and the rest were 12mm. I go back in the morning for another U/S to see if the 12s are any bigger -- do they really grow that fast? I was just there for my U/S at 3PM this afternoon! Anyway, he said he would make the decision based on the U/S tomorrow on when we do a trigger shot. Can anyone tell me exactly how this works? I'm sure he will give me the info when he decides its time to trigger but I want to know all I can about it as I have never done this before. Any advice will be helpful!! Thanks!
    Mary Anna (29) Daniel (33) Married 5/11/2007 - TTC#1
    5 Cycles of Clomid from 50mg to 250mg - BFP Dec 2011 - M/C Jan 2012 Hidden Content
    Moving on to Femara -- June/July 2012- Femara 5mg, Metformin 1000mg, Prenatal, Low Does Aspirin & EPO
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Oh, one more thing... he said my lining was 6mm which was not where he wanted it to be and it should thicken up a little on its own the further into m cycle I get... but I've heard of several of you taking baby asprin to help thicken the lining. Should I go ahead and start taking that now? If so, just one low dose asprin a day?? When would I stop? Thx
    5 Cycles of Clomid from 50mg to 250mg - BFP Dec 2011 - M/C Jan 2012 Hidden Content
    Moving on to Femara -- June/July 2012- Femara 5mg, Metformin 1000mg, Prenatal, Low Does Aspirin & EPO
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,755 Posts

I haven't done the aspirin (though I believe it's just a low-dose until ovulation) but 6mm is a bit thin. It grows each day, so you may have a bit more between now and when you ovulate.

The trigger is an injection - very tiny needle. The anticipation is worse than the shot itself. You typically inject it into a pinched piece of your stomach. It releases HCG (the pregnany hormone) into your body. Since HCG is almost chemically identical to LH (the hormone that causes follicles to release eggs) the injection does what the LH would have done naturally. You'll typically ovulate within 36-48 hours. If you're not temping - you might want to start.

ETA - follicles can grow up to 2mm/day... so it's possible those will be 14mm tomorrow. He may have you do OPKs for a few days and then trigger if no surge (that's what mine usually does).
    Justine (33) Hidden Content DH (34)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "In truth, the art of baby making is not an art at all, nor even a science,
    but completely governed by the absolute nonsensical unknown that is at the heart of all existence here on earth and elsewhere." - Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. The Following User Says Thank You to defygravity For This Useful Post:

meanna (05-14-2012)

Thanks

Thanks for asking this! I was wondering too. I'm new here, just starting my 1st Clomid cycle today!
    Me: (Julie) 31 DH:31
    05/12: 50mg Clomid, BFP! Missed m/c, d&c 7/23/12
    11/12:100mg Clomid, BFP!!
    Harper Josephine | August 27, 2013 | 9lbs | 22"

Thanks

Not all docs do them - some will let you O on your own. It all kind of depends on how you respond, I think. On my first cycle I got a 25mm follicle by CD12 and triggered that night - didn't want that one getting too much bigger.

This cycle I had many follicles, six small and one mature on CD12 and would have triggered on CD15 but due to a long and harrowing series of circumstances ended up not able to - I ovulated on my own today (CD17). So they're not *always* necessary - just depends on how things go.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    but completely governed by the absolute nonsensical unknown that is at the heart of all existence here on earth and elsewhere." - Hidden Content Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to defygravity For This Useful Post:

cjb1010 (05-17-2012)

Thanks

Thanks for the info Justine!

I went back for an U/S today and my 18mm had grown to 22mm!! My 12's were 13's and my lining was up to 7mm. So, I got my trigger shot today - Novarel 10,000 units. The nurse did it in the office so I didnt have to take it home and mix and inject myself. I was glad! She said we should start tonight and BD 3 times a day for 3 days. I should ovulate in the next 24 to 36 hours. Does this sound right? I've never done a trigger shot and want to be sure I'm doing anything I can to increase my odds. Thanks!
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Yes - I'd probably BD today and the next few days. I've triggered twice - the first time I ovulated about 30 hours later and the second time it was 11 hours after. If you're charting, you'll see the temp rise after ovulation occurs.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I only triggered the one time but I triggered on a Monday at 11am. We were instructed to bd that night, Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. It worked for us. I would stick with what you were instructed but I just want to mention that I think 3 times a day is over kill. Once sperm is in there, it lives for up to 48 hours and once the egg is released, it last for about 12 hours. Once again, I would just do what they told you but this way if one day you can't fit three times in, I would not worry lol. Good luck!!!!!!!!! Baby dust.
    Me (24) Hidden Content DH (24)
    Married 7.17.10
    TTC #1 since 01/2011 Dx- PCOS 09/11 ~Thin Cyster~

Rx- Metformin 1000mg 10/11, Clomid 50mg 2/15/12 (cd3-7),
    HCG shot 10,000iu 2/27/12, Prometrium 200mg 3/2/12
    BFP on 3/9/12!!!! IT'S A BOY!!!!
    Isaac Jacob was born 11/6/12 at 7:44pm, 19.5 inches and 7lbs 7oz.

Hidden Content

Thanks

I missed that... 3x/day for 3 days is a lot... and you need to give the boys a chance to build back up. Once a day is probably ok.

ETA - frankly I can get sore if we do too much in a short period of time so I can't imagine 9 times in 3 days.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks ladies. I thought the same thing about 3x/day for 3 days and my hubby is working long hours this week so who knows how we will fit all that in but we will do all we can.

Justine - I havent been temping and I figured it was too late to start this cycle. My doc already made me an appt for CD21 to do bloodwork to confirm if I do O so I am going to play it safe and assume I will O by Thursday. I do use OPK's but have never seen a surge in the past.
    Hidden Content

Thanks

It's not too late if you haven't O'd yet, I just read on another thread recently. Be cautious with the CD21 bloodwork - if you don't O on CD14 it won't be accurate. So if you can't take the test 7dpo, just know that if the test on CD21 says you didn't ovulate, you just may not have yet.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks Justine, I have another question... I've read about testing out the trigger by taking HPT's. When should I start doing this? Would a HPT show positive right away after the trigger? Also, I've done a few OPK's since the shot yesterday and nothing. Shouldnt these be positive since I am supposed to O within 24 to 48 hours of the shot?? I had the shot at around 11AM yesterday. Thanks for all of your help!!
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I'm surprised the OPKs are negative, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've read about hundreds of trigger shots but only ever read about one that didn't work, so I'd think you've either o'd or will soon.

As far as testing it out, I never even thought about NOT doing it. You basically start using an HPT each morning until you get a complete negative, not even a hint of a line. I use the cheap tests for these. I start on 7dpt, but you can start earlier if you want. Both of my triggers were completely gone by 8dpt, I've seen them go as early as 6 days and as long as 12. It sucks using the tests up, but the peace of mind it gives you is priceless - you know that if you get the BFP it's for real and not a lingering trigger. Most doctors though won't do blood tests until 17dpt though, whether you tested it out or not.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks again! I'm going to keep doing the OPK's just to be sure. And will start testing out with HPT's in a few days. It's hard not to stress about it not working! But I will try to relax. I am having a little pain so maybe I'm getting ready to O. Its been so long I dont know if I would even know what it feels like anymore.
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Well, I hope it isn't too painful - just enough to know it happened and then nothing. I hate ovulating because it hurts so much - if I wasn't TTC I'd be thrilled with being anovulatory.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content