Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default I bought a Silk׳n Flash&Go

I've been experimenting with the different settings, but I'll report back on whether it works well or not on facial hair.

Thanks

I am extremely interested to see how it works for you! I've been looking into the Tria and the Flash & Go lately, and the F&G would be much more convenient if it works well because you can buy replacement cartridges; when the Tria is done you have to buy a new one, which scares me.

I hope it works well for you, it would be great for you to not worry about facial hair anymore, or at least not as much! I'm sorry if I bombard you with questions when you post updates, I'm excited Good luck!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No worries! Happy to help, thats why I posted the notice above....

The one thing about these do-it-youself laser hair removal kits that nobody has mentioned yet, is the huge list of warnings in the instruction manual.

It actually says (I kid you not) that the laser should never be used on skin that has been exposed to sunlight, and that any spot where you want to use it should be covered from the sun for a good four weeks before the flash and go is used. However, at the same time – it says it is safe for use on the face, AND that you’re supposed to use it ever 2 weeks to start, then every 4 weeks….

Apparently it is only good for burka wearing women? Im pretty sure the warnings were written by lawyers with no common sense. Needless to say, I'm ignoring those warnings. So far, so good.

Another note. This thing is loud. Kinda like a hair dryer, only not QUITE as loud. If you’re hoping to use it descretely, like I am…good luck. I have to wait for everyone to be out of the house before I use it, or I’d never hear the end of it. It makes a POP every time you hit the trigger, and flashes a blinding light that HaS to be bad for your eyes. Then there is a very faint pain as if someone hit you with an elastic band (and wasn’t trying very hard).

That is my 5 am review for the moment….

Thanks
    Blog Entries

To correct myself. I HAVE started using sun screen on my face every day, prior to trying to use this thing on facial hair - to mitigate any side effects that has to do with prior sun exposure. I'm starting to think this thing is safer to use in winter. Its also best on pale skin, dark hair - so its best if you don't have a tan, and are in your best winter pasty-whites.

Another note on discreteness. It arrives in a giant box that announces to everyone with eyes that it contains a Sephora Beauty product.

Thanks

Oh good, everyone will know what I ordered! I thoroughly enjoyed how you put that, I laughed pretty hard reading your posts.

Overly-careful warning labels crack me up. I guess they have to be overly specific to avoid getting into a situations similar to when that woman sued McDonald's because her hot coffee was hot. It is good that you are using sunscreen, better to be careful. I'm winter white year round as I avoid being seen in sunlight (I'm like a vampire) so I won't have to worry about sunscreen.

Do you have fairly coarse hair or fine? If coarse, do you notice any more pain where the hair is coarser? Are you sticking with only shaving before treatments? I'm scared of that, I will do what I need to do, but I'm a tweezer and it will be scary.

I was thinking about home IPL devices last night, and some articles online say that it's permanent hair removal after so many treatments while others say that it's permanent as long as you continue to use it every few weeks, because the device zaps the hairs into the resting stage so continual treatments are needed to keep hair in that stage. I know that might bum some people out, and I understand that it would be preferably to not have to continue treatments forever, but I would be perfectly happy zapping my face every two or four weeks for the rest of my life rather than tweeze or shave or anything!

Thanks for the updates! I feel like a kid before Christmas haha.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have both fine and coarse hair. The sides of my face tend to get fine dark hair that grows really, really long while my jaw line and chin gets patches of coarse hair. There is a spattering of coarse throughout as well. My neck also gets the long stuff and patches of coarse. Things have been progressively been getting worse lately, to the point where some of the fine hairs had grown stiff and grown in clusters to either side of my mouth that were difficult to see but felt like cat whiskers. Im not even kidding, it was pretty screwed up. Any, until recently all I did was pluck the coarse hairs. Then I bleached everything and plucked coarse. Then I used Veet and Naar. I switched to shaving and plucking strictly for this laser thing. I dont want to damage my skin by using chemical hair removal AND laser. The pain does not vary based on hair type.

I finally had a chance to use this thing on my face. Until last night I've only done my bikini line, underarms, chest and tummy. All of which I did at differing power levels to see what happens. There does not seem to be a difference in the pain level when you increase the power level. Did not see any redness or burns either, so I figure on the next treatment I'll jack it up to the highest level to try to get the best most immediate results. I cant really tell if it is having any effect. I THINK the hair is growing back slower, but it could also be just a figment of my imagination (not to mention, it IS growing back). It was only the first treatment on a low power level, I cant expect a whole lot.

My face was a little different. I used a high power level, just short of full power. It was difficult to use, and I'm pretty sure I missed a few spots - that is one difficulty of this thing that I have not yet mentioned. As it does not leave any marks, its hard to tell where you have already treated. I would actually prefer it if it would cause temporary redness.

Anyway - so my face....It was really tricky. Especially since the worst spots for me are along my jaw line. The business end on this thing is a solid flat surface, it does not conform to curves, and it is supposed to be completely flat on skin in order to work. I ended up trying to contort my neck to try to make my jaw line more fleshy...it was interesting.

It is also slightly more painful on the face. They are not kidding that you need to have pale skin. I have a few zits that are red, and an irritated area on my neck where my plucking has caused a bunch of red dots like a rash. It caused each and every red spot to sting for a split second. HOWEVER - I can report that it did not cause red spots or burns or further irritation, no sensitivity either. You zap, it faint pain, then its just warm. Nothing more.

Anyway my face will be difficult to gauge. I am using the Gorilla Warfare cream at the same time, which is working wonders. So it will be difficult to tell what kind of effect it is having. So I will base most of my conclusions on other parts : ).

Thanks

My hair sounds similar to yours, it's coarse from jaw to jaw, fine mixed in at the sideburns, half coarse half fine at my upper lip. Hair sucks. I was wondering how the device would handle plucking irritation, I have plenty of that also. Good to know it doesn't irritate it further, hopefully it doesn't attract too much juice so the hair gets the full force. I guess we will know in a couple weeks or months or however long it takes to see results!

Sucks that its awkward to use at the jawline! Hopefully you can figure out a trick to make it easier. You would think they would design it to hit spots like that, considering the F&G is more geared towards facial hair (or that's my understanding at least). Sigh.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yup. You'd think they'd have some kind of attachment for that.

One thing this has that is better than the tria, and a reason I choose it...was that it has a cord. apparently the tria is cordless, and runs out of batteries extremely quickly, but takes a long time to recharge.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Sooo....update! I used the Laser thingy for a second treatment on my chest, belly, armpits and bikini line. This time I used high power, or at least close to it. This was on July 20th. And I can actually see a visible improvement. There is less hair, and it is growing in slowly. Weirdly enough, I also use to get razor burn on my bikini line after I shave. I didn't.

I haven't done the second treatment on my face yet. This should happen this week.

Thanks

That's really great! Have you been taking pictures? That might help you chart improvement, 20% reduction, 40% etc. Not that I expect you to post them haha, I know I'd feel pretty strange showing an online community my armpits every month, but it could be a good reference point for you!

I am currently treating my facial hair with at-home electrolysis and it is veeeery slow going. Which I expected of course. It would be nice if I could treat the coarser and easy to reach hairs and then use the F&G for finer hairs that are hard to treat. If you give the F&G the ok later on, I will give it a shot and hopefully have a plan to manage facial hair. If only I had been born a boy, or a monkey, then all of this wouldn't be necessary... haha.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 486 Posts

I tried silk'n sense on my legs, it was slow and tedious to use and I never saw results. I bought it from costco and took it back.
    "Laugh about it, shout about it, when you've got to choose -
    Every way you look at it, you lose."
    - Simon & Garfunkel

Green Fields~Golden Sands DiamondInTheRough's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Parsimony View Post
    Apparently it is only good for burka wearing women? Im pretty sure the warnings were written by lawyers with no common sense. Needless to say, I'm ignoring those warnings. So far, so good.
    I wear hijab, and had pigment changes in areas of my face that are covered and uncovered, so it's not that accurate unfortunately! Thankfully, it was temporary and completely faded away. I had the LHR done professionally, so I'm not sure if that counts for anything, but I think the office models are much stronger than the ones for home use.
    Hidden Content Married SAHM - Me(35) DH(40)Hidden Content
    DS1 (2003) Clomid, IC Miracle - Bedrest, DS2 (2007) Metformin, IC Miracle - Cerclage
    Angel Baby @ 18 wks (2001) Bicornuate uterus, IC "To God we belong, and to Him is our return." Qur'an 2:156

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondInTheRough View Post
    I think the office models are much stronger than the ones for home use.

I have no doubt about that. Though the price difference makes it worth giving it a try. And so far - its working for me.

I really hope it works well on my face though. I've switched to shaving entirely to follow the instructions and I HATE it. I use to only have to pluck a bit every day. Sometimes every other day. Now I HAVE to shave everything daily. It doesn't last as long. Really unpleasant.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

So, I used the laser on my face last night for the second treatment, then immediately plucked everything out. I couldn't stand shaving it any more. I used the highest power. We'll see what happens. I'm hopeful that I'll start to notice a difference as I did for my chest.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

So! Third treatment on my belly/chest/pits/bikini line. I did this on Wednesday I think it was...and today I realised that I don't have to shave my pits daily anymore. I've been doing it out of habit while I shower, but I had a look this time...and ya, there is still hair there - but its very short, and there is less of it. My stomach and chest is showing the best results. There is NOTHING left, and its been that way for days.

My face at the moment...is looking great. I still have to pluck/shave some areas, but no where near to the same extent that I had to before, and the hair is not as obvious either. The hair on my upper lip is GONE. Occasionally I"ll have some hair grow in on either end of my upper lip, where I guess the laser did not touch when I zapped it. But otherwise...i haven't had to pluck or shave my upper lip in weeks!
    Last edited by Parsimony; 08-04-2012 at 08:46 AM. Reason: forgot to add important details