Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Metformin and facial hair and thin PCOS

Do other thin women with PCOS have problems with facial hair? Some of what I have read suggests that this shouldn't be a problem for lean PCOS women, but that is not the case for me.

Anyway, I have been on 1000mg of Metformin for about a month now and I have noticed a significant improvement in facial hair. Is it possible for an improvement to be so quick? Is this just in my head? Am I just not noticing existing facial hair/getting used to being hairy? Are my new glasses taking my focus away from the stray hairs?

Don't get me wrong--I am still hairy, but the thick, coarse facial hairs seem to be disappearing/softening/lightening.

Thanks!
    -
    Sam

Thanks

I am also a thin woman with PCOS. I have problems with facial hair as well. I was started on Metformin 6 months ago and unfortunatly haven't noticed much improvement in my facial hair. I also have acne and have noticed some improvement there however. That's great that you have noticed yours getting lighter! In theory, if your testosterone levels are dropping, that should help with your facial hair. Here's to hoping for continued improvement!

Thanks

Another lean PCOS (5'7 126) with facial hair here...my mustache area is slightly darkened but fine and slow growing - it's the under chin area which is my real problem. I've been on met and spironolactone for...too long to remember. certainly over a year. i don't think the met helped for me, but I started the spiro first and i'm pretty sure it made the hairs on my upper lip thin out, my few 'monobrow' hairs have stopped growing and the hairs on my legs are now thinner and i don't bleed from every pore when i shave them anymore, thank God!

the thing is, if you take spiro for a long time i've read that for unkown reasons hair will eventually go back to how it was before starting. i've noticed my upper lip hairs recently getting worse again - so at the suggestion of a number of articles i've read i'm going to start cycling the spiro - 3 weeks on it then my period week off. i'll let you know if i see any re-improvement sadly nothing have made the patches under my chin much better but maybe i should just be grateful they haven't worsened since my late teens (26 now) :/

Thanks

I'm also a lean PCOS-er with some facial hair issues! Around my chin area I get crazy dark/coarse hairs which are hard to hide b/c I'm light skinned and fair haired! I have not been prescribed metformin...wondering if I should ask my Dr about it...
    Melodi (31) Hidden Content DH (31)
    Married 9.10.11 TTC#1 5.2012
    7.2012 DX thin cyster, annovulation, amenorrhea/DH perfect
    2012 4 medicated TI cycles 3 BFNs/1 chem pg
    1.2013 femara 5mg, follistim 50iu (12 days!), ovidrel trigger, pregnitude, first IUI 12dpiui BFP!
    Beta #1 73, Beta #2 235, HB 6w4d! EDD 10.17.2013 IT'S A BOY!!!
    Cash David arrived on 10.9.13 8lbs & 20 1/2 inches of perfection!
    Sometimes the things you can't change in life end up changing YOU

Thanks

I'm also lean (I use the metric system, 1m78 and 59kg which is about 5'70'' and 130 pounds I think) but have a little bit of darker facial hair on my upper lip. I also have some darker hair on my belly. I'm starting Metformine tonight, I hope it will work!

Thanks

i'm also thin and TTC for about 6 months. i had been on ocp's for a long time, but since getting off 6 months ago i've had increased hair growth pretty much everywhere. i'm doing my best to keep up with waxing, tweezing, shaving etc. but am frustrated that it's there. i asked my RE about metformin and he said it's only been shown to be effective if there's some evidence of insulin resistance, which, being thin, i probably don't have. but it sounds like you guys are getting good results from it? anyone else who was told what my RE said?

i tried progestin then femara, no O, then another round of femara no O, then clomid 50mg no O. now doing progestin again and then trying a higher dose of clomid- fingers crossed!

Thanks

Pcosbaby, my endocrinologist was reluctant to put me on metformin too, but I read a pamphlet from Jarret Fertility http://www.jarrettfertility.com/PCOS...%20handout.pdf that convinced me to ask for it anyway. It really works. I feel like doctors are very ignorant about thin women with PCOS. You do not have to be overweight to be insulin resistant. In fact, if you have PCOS, there is a good chance that you have at least mild IR.

Anyway, I think it is worth getting checked out by someone else. I am super thin, tested fine on the 2 hour glucose test, was prescribed Metformin anyway, and have seen very good results.

Thanks

I tested fine on the glucose test as well and was told I did not have IR and I got on metformin anyway. I have been on metformin since January of this year. I have seen a slight decrease, but not much with facial hair growth. I still get the same hair growth in the same spots on my chin and upper lip. It doesn't matter how many times I pluck the hairs out, they keep coming back in the same spots!! I also shed a ton of hair, which has me concerned that I will be bald before I hit the age of 40. I hate PCOS!!!
    me (38) Hidden Content dh (45)
    Diagnosed PCOS 2010 - thin cyster, not IR
    Jan 2012 1500mg metformin
    April 2012 - 1st round clomid (no change) and prenatals
    August 2012 - natural herbs - red raspberry leaf, licorice root, and more
    March 2014 - IVF, 4/1/14 - BFP!!!Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I am thin pcos and having issues with facial hair too, especially since I went off the pill. Good to know some of you guys are achieving results with metformin. Has anyone tried any herbs that have helped?

Thanks

SA- thanks for the info, i'm going to show it to my RE and see what he thinks. i've been trying to cut out sweets just in case, but that has not been working out too well

Thanks

Hey there!!!

I too am a thin cyster with facial and body hair. It has definitely gotten worse since I came off birth control and started TTC. I have dark hairs on my chin and have dark hairs on my upper lip now that I have never had before. To me, my facial hair and arm hair has always been too long or longer than most women. I do pluck, and shave but its depressing.

I am on Metformin and I wouldnt have it any other way. Thin women with PCOS may not be insulin resistant, but our bodies still dont respond the same way to insulin so it is very beneficial to be on Metformin when you are a thin cyster. I also take Myo Inositol for PCOS as well.

As a previous poster stated, www.jarrettfertility.com is great and especially the PCOS handout. It actually taught me a lot. I am going to be starting fertility treatments shortly, and will be asking for Letrozole instead of Clomid when we start because it apparently works better for thin women with PCOS. We'll see. Lol .

Hidden Content
    Jen 29 - Eric 32 Hidden Content

Identical Twin Angels - 03/13
    TTC #1 since 2011.
    October 2013 - 250mg of Clomid - BF_?
    Metformin 1500mg, Folic Acid 5000mcg, Baby Aspirin, CoQ10 600mg, B6 50mg, B12 125mcg, Vit C 500mg

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

I am a normal weight cyster (5'4'' and 123ish pounds) and have issues with facial hair, and hair in general. I HATE it! It wasn't so bad when I was on bcp, but I quit taking them about 3 or 4 years ago, and that's when the facial hair (and other PCOS symptoms) increased. I've been on metformin for almost two years and haven't noticed much difference. I've had laser hair removal on my upper lip which helped a little bit, but not as much as I was hoping. I also get about ten dark hairs on my chin that I constantly have to tweeze. My other problem area is my belly button. If I didn't shave, I would have a happy trail, which is SO embarrassing! I hate it. I'm also pretty fair, which makes the hair problem look worse, I think. Glad I'm not the only one, I guess....
    me 28 (Lean PCOS) Hidden Content dh 33
    TTC #1 since early 2011
    May 2011- natural pregnancy (metformin only); m/c @ 9 weeks + D&C
    July 2011- lap to remove dermoid cyst
    TTC naturally until July 2012, BFNs
    August 2012-February 2013- 6 rounds of Clomid, 1 IUI, O'd every cycle, BFNs
    Since then....: several cycles of soy isos, O'd, BFN
    August 2014- lap to remove uterine septum. Everything else looking good.
    Moving onto IVF December 2014

Thanks

I have tried a few herbs for a few months at a time, with no success. The only thing that did help was Soy Isoflavones, but they only worked last cycle. I am now on CD38-39 I think (forgive me, I start to care less when this happens. Lol) and have found the did not work this cycle. Or I am miraculously pregnant.. I am not convinced I have ovulated and I am unsure of my chart though. I have solid crosshairs on FF on CD19. I have been POAS since 14dpo and nothing. I dont get it. If I am not pregnant, why would my LP be 19-20 days long? Its not! I didnt O. I am just frustrated today I guess. I do temp, check cervical mucous and cervical position. I gave up on OPKs. My temps are still close enough to cover line for FF to still have solid crosshairs on my chart, but its driving me nuts. FF has lied before. And so has my stupid body. Lol.

I have tried Vitex, but I was allergic to it and broke out in a rash all over my body making it look like I had psoriasis. I stopped and it finally went away after a few weeks. i didnt know that Vitex could cause a rash after 4 months. I had one period on Vitex, but I dont think it was due to Vitex and never had another one before I had to stop taking it due to rash. Red Clover, Red raspberry Leaf tea, seed cycling, dong quai... you name it, nothing worked and i did give them some time to work. I live my life is 3-4 month timeframes nowadays with these things.

Hidden Content
    Jen 29 - Eric 32 Hidden Content

Identical Twin Angels - 03/13
    TTC #1 since 2011.
    October 2013 - 250mg of Clomid - BF_?
    Metformin 1500mg, Folic Acid 5000mcg, Baby Aspirin, CoQ10 600mg, B6 50mg, B12 125mcg, Vit C 500mg

Hidden Content Hidden Content

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fin For This Useful Post:

kwalm (09-08-2012)

Thanks

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and am also thin. I have problems with facial hair (and other androgen-related issues) - thinning scalp hair, excess body hair (especially tummy, inner thighs and chin!), and acne. I am not trying to conceive right now, so my doctor suggested Spironolactone and BCP, also a statin because my cholesterol was very high. I am feeling overwhelmed by everything right now! Does Metformin help with these symptoms, for thin women? Also, I'm curious if anyone has suggestions for hair-friendly BCP? I hate my thinning hair, I feel sad every time I look in the mirror :-( I can't get Diane-35 in my country, I have tried Yasmin in the past and it made me feel so sick.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MandaMay For This Useful Post:

aubrey2013 (01-12-2013)

Thanks

I found an interesting site for an Australian PCOS doctor who states there are 2 types of PCOS (IR and non-IR). Most interesting is that she believes PCOS may actually be caused by BCP (it should NOT be prescribed for treatment of PCOS). Trans-fat, prior eating disorders, Vitamin D deficiency, and BPA in plastic products, are some other culprits. Most imporantly she says it responds better to natural remedies and can be reversed. Has anybody else come across any research like this?