Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default What I thought was AF, then BFP?!

So I had a crazy surprise today, and am curious if anyone has any insight for me. On CD10 I started spotting, which is normal for me. I took an hpt anyway, and it was negative. No surprise, so I figured CD1 was around the corner. Sure enough, the next day the bleeding increased, and I continued to bleed for the next 4 days. Since that ended, I've been spotting but it is getting less each day.

From 10dpo until yesterday I didn't temp b/c I needed a break and thought it was pointless - I'd start up again once AF was done. So yesterday I temped and it was way higher than normal - in the high range for my post-O temps still. Today, same thing. So I decided to test and to my surprise, got a bfp on a Wondfo. I waited until I had to pee again and tested with a FRER, CBE Digital and 2 more Wondfos - all positive, and rather apparent. Today is 16dpo for me.

Okay, so I'm totally confused. I called the doctor and went in for my first quant. I'll get my results tomorrow, and will go back in on Thursday to see how they are progressing. I'm terrified, confused, etc. I've read about ectopic pregnancies having heavy bleeding, but most of what I see is people having BFPs BEFORE they start bleeding, not after. I had a C/P in November, and my tests were positive at 10dpo, and then stark negative once the bleeding started a week later. So this is rather different.

Anyway, just curious if anyone knows if women with PCOS are more prone to bleeding, or if anyone has had this experience? Any thoughts would be so helpful! Looking back, I realized that I had much less cramping than with my "normal periods" - most of the cramping was on CD10 with the spotting, then went to very very mild cramps. It has since stopped. I also seem to think that the bleeding was maybe not quite as heavy (I'd classify it as medium flow) with few to no clots.

TIA for your input!
    Me (32) DH (38), TTC #1
    dx Lean PCOS February 2012
    BFP#1 October 2011. No Meds. EDD 8/1/2012. m/c @ 5w; BFP#2 July 2012. EDD 4/7/2013. m/c @ 5w3d

Current Supplements: Royal Jelly/Bee Pollen, Prenatals, Baby Aspirin, Fish Oil, Wheatgrass, B100 Complex
    Current Meds: 50mg Clomid (CD2-6), 1000mg Metformin, 100mg Progesterone

Hidden Content

Thanks

Congrats on your BFP!! With my DD who is 8 months now... I "thought" I was pg and kept testing & testing and they came back neg. A few days later I started af. I bled like a normal period and had horrendous cramps - but felt off. Foods kept upsetting my stomach and smells... Even though it had been at least 2-3 weeks that I had been bleeding off and on I bought a $store test figuring I would test in the morning. That morning I peeded in a cup and went to wipe and had ALOT of blood. I thought well there's your answer you can't be pregnant...but since I had already peeded in a cup (hehe I can never say that again) I used the test. To my surprise it turned positive right away. I knew there was no way it was going to be viable because of how heavy I was bleeding and the cramps. I called my ob/gyn they did a beta that came back quite high and scheduled for an u/s the following day. I wasn't even going to tell DH because I didn't think it was going to go anywhere. I got to the u/s had my tissues ready -and there was a big beautiful h/b flickering on the screen. I was already 7.5 weeks along. I had a SCH and bled (sometimes heavy with clotting) through almost my entire pg. But I made it to my 39 week scheduled c/s and DD is sleeping soundly now. Hope that helps
    TTC since 12/01 3 years on clomid, 1 letrezole cycle - no pg ovarian drilling 12/04
    Finally BFP on 3rd cycle of follistim - our Triplets were born 10 weeks early and are home after 5 weeks in the NICU - Thank you GOD for our Triple Miracle!!

Triplets born in 2006

DD born 2009

DD born Nov 2011

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Amy H For This Useful Post:

dewiphil (08-02-2012)

Momma to 2 girls & a boy AmandaG04's Avatar
    Thanks

Some women bleed throughout their entire pregnancy. A friend of mine during her pregnancy had AF every month like clockwork and delivered a perfectly healthy baby girl!
    Me-27 DH-34
    TTC#4
    Metformin 2000mg daily
    DD#1- Met 1000mg and prenatals 36w4d 12/20/06
    DD#2- all natural and a complete shock 38w4d 03/11/08
    DS- 1500mg Met 36w1d 8/6/12
    M/C- Met 1000mg 5w2d 05/11
    M/C- Met 2000mg 5w4d 04/13
    M/C- natural 4w5d 8/13

Thanks

Hi Lake Congratulations on your BFP! I've known lots of SCs who've had bleeding during their pregnancies and have gone onto having healthy, beautiful babies. It's good you've gone into your doctor and can have their support on this. I had period like bleeding during my third pregnancy, and it turned out to be a SCH (similar to Amy H). I was put on very limited activity and told to drink TONS of water. It's really important to stay hydrated so that you don't have any cramping. Unfortunately, we lost our baby due to the SCH. If that is what you're experiencing the numbers are in your favor and it usually resolves itself. Any news on your beta today? Please keep us posted!
    Me 35 + DH 35 Hidden Content DS Sept '07 & DS May '13
    Dx Jan/10 + MF . Four Inject + IUI = BFNs
    Nov/10 IVF+ICSI #1 ET 2 blasts = BFN
    Jan/11 IVF+ICSI #2 ET 2 blasts = BFP & two h/bs! -8wk m/c twin angels
    Jul/11 FET #1: 2 blasts = BFP & h/b! -SCH -9wk m/c angel boy
    Dec/11 FET #2: 2 blasts = BFN
    Mar/12 IVF+ICSI+PGD #3 ET 2 blasts = BFN
    Jun/12 FET #3: 2 blasts = BFN (2 snow)

Aug '12 natural surprise = DS born May 2, 2013

Thanks

Still in limbo land. Beta was only 23. The nurse said that while low, it isn't the end of the world b/c what really matters is how fast they double. I could have implanted late. It is strange though b/c I thought a digital could only register 50 and above, and I got a + on a digital yesterday, the same day as the beta.

The doctor called in progesterone suppositories for me today, which I'll start tonight. They don't want me to come in for another beta until next week. They said by then it should be 1000 or more if all things are normal. So, it is a waiting game now.

I'm very nervous about an ectopic, for some reason. But yeah, it could be SCH or something really strange. I'll update next week, and thanks for the thoughts!
    Me (32) DH (38), TTC #1
    BFP#1 October 2011. No Meds. EDD 8/1/2012. m/c @ 5w; BFP#2 July 2012. EDD 4/7/2013. m/c @ 5w3d

Current Supplements: Royal Jelly/Bee Pollen, Prenatals, Baby Aspirin, Fish Oil, Wheatgrass, B100 Complex

Hidden Content

Thanks

Congratulations!!!!! I can totallly relate to your case. I too started to bleed yesterday (it wasn't for 4 days, but I was bleeding) and went in for my baseline u/s so I could start my next cycle. I had taken HPTs and they were all negative (dpo13-14). They wanted to take my blood to rule out pregnancy before starting the femara again. They ended up cancelling my perscription and calling me with the news that I was pregnant. My HCG was 48 and I have to go in tomorrow for a follow-up. I hate the whole beta process, it just is one more thing to worry about. I am really hoping that these little beans stick for us!!! I definately have my fx'd!!
    Me: (30) Fiance: (34) Hidden Content Together for 8 years
    TTC since 2012- 3 angel babies
    -baby girl April 24th, 2013
    Surprise BFP New Years Day- not trying, but oh so happy!
    EDD: Sept. 10, 2014---- Team Green

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jc- View Post
    Congratulations!!!!! I can totallly relate to your case. I too started to bleed yesterday (it wasn't for 4 days, but I was bleeding) and went in for my baseline u/s so I could start my next cycle. I had taken HPTs and they were all negative (dpo13-14). They wanted to take my blood to rule out pregnancy before starting the femara again. They ended up cancelling my perscription and calling me with the news that I was pregnant. My HCG was 48 and I have to go in tomorrow for a follow-up. I hate the whole beta process, it just is one more thing to worry about. I am really hoping that these little beans stick for us!!! I definately have my fx'd!!
    Wow, another weird story - glad to hear I'm not alone! Ha ha! Congrats on your unexpected BFP, and good luck on your betas!!!!

I ended up calling my nurse and told her that I'm uncomfortable about waiting until next week, so I will get another beta tomorrow. I know the number won't be high, but I just want to see, at the very least, if they are in fact doubling. I don't like being in limbo land, and just want to have an idea of what is happening either way. To be honest, I'd be fine with either outcome since I wasn't even expecting to be in this position right now in the first place. At least the Met is working and I can get pregnant - that is how I'd have to look at it.
    Me (32) DH (38), TTC #1

Hidden Content

Blessed beyond measure Stormy77's Avatar
    Thanks

My sister had
    AF for the first 3 mths so she didnt find out she was pregnant until she was 4 mths along. My aunt had AF with two of her pregnancies. dr felt she was pregnant with twins both times and lost one. Odd things happen that make no sense but then women go on to have healthy babies.
    Shannon, married 15 yrs to the love of my life. Adopted mom to 22 yr old Lacey, stepmom to 17 yr old Holly, mommy to Trinity and Jacob

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Congratulations!!! It is definately normal to bleed throughout pregnancy my MIL bleed her entire pregnancy and didnt know she was pregnant until 6 months along. Best of luck!

Thanks

So just to give you a bit of hope, I had spotting for 4 days and totally thought AF was coming, but the spotting stopped after 4 days so I tested and got a positive. I got my beta that day and my level was only 16. I'm now 20 weeks along so this baby was just a late implanter. I would just be happy that right now you are pregnant. Congratulations!!! This is something to celebrate!!
    Danielle (31) DH (32)
    TTC #1
    Meds: Met ER 2000mg Daily, Prenatals, 400 mg daily progesterone after confirmed O
    Fourth Clomid cycle: BFP!! Hidden Content 1st Beta: 16 2nd Beta: 64 3rd Beta:708 4th Beta: 13,270

HE'S HERE!!! Paxton Robert was born on October 19, 2012 at 6:38 PM weighing 3 lb 11 oz and 15 3/4 inches long. He was born at 31W 3D gestation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dml3870 View Post
    So just to give you a bit of hope, I had spotting for 4 days and totally thought AF was coming, but the spotting stopped after 4 days so I tested and got a positive. I got my beta that day and my level was only 16. I'm now 20 weeks along so this baby was just a late implanter. I would just be happy that right now you are pregnant. Congratulations!!! This is something to celebrate!!
    Thank you! Do you mind sharing what dpo you got your first beta, or when you think the bean decided to implant? I just freak out about the 23 at 16dpo.

I've been so up and down with this. I admit I did take another 2 hpts (FRER and Wondfo) this morning and a Wondfo when I got home from work. My afternoon/evening one was definitely darker (maybe mid-range dark, not control test line dark or anything!) than the ones this morning - not sure if that means my hcg levels are rising, but I figured it was a good sign. No line, or a really faint line, would obviously be more troublesome.

I'll update after my next beta tomorrow - I should get results Friday.
    Me (32) DH (38), TTC #1

Hidden Content

Thanks

My first BFP and beta were on 15 DPO, so one day earlier than you. I had stopped testing at 12 DPO when I got a negative and had been spotting since the day before, so I think he implanted either on 12 DPO or it was later than that.
    Danielle (31) DH (32)
    TTC #1
    Meds: Met ER 2000mg Daily, Prenatals, 400 mg daily progesterone after confirmed O
    Fourth Clomid cycle: BFP!! Hidden Content 1st Beta: 16 2nd Beta: 64 3rd Beta:708 4th Beta: 13,270

HE'S HERE!!! Paxton Robert was born on October 19, 2012 at 6:38 PM weighing 3 lb 11 oz and 15 3/4 inches long. He was born at 31W 3D gestation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LakeKristina View Post
    Wow, another weird story - glad to hear I'm not alone! Ha ha! Congrats on your unexpected BFP, and good luck on your betas!!!!

I ended up calling my nurse and told her that I'm uncomfortable about waiting until next week, so I will get another beta tomorrow. I know the number won't be high, but I just want to see, at the very least, if they are in fact doubling. I don't like being in limbo land, and just want to have an idea of what is happening either way. To be honest, I'd be fine with either outcome since I wasn't even expecting to be in this position right now in the first place. At least the Met is working and I can get pregnant - that is how I'd have to look at it.

That's so good that they will see you today! I am hoping for the best. Stick baby...Stick!! KUP hun.
    Me: (30) Fiance: (34) Hidden Content Together for 8 years
    TTC since 2012- 3 angel babies
    -baby girl April 24th, 2013
    Surprise BFP New Years Day- not trying, but oh so happy!
    EDD: Sept. 10, 2014---- Team Green

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dml3870 View Post
    My first BFP and beta were on 15 DPO, so one day earlier than you. I had stopped testing at 12 DPO when I got a negative and had been spotting since the day before, so I think he implanted either on 12 DPO or it was later than that.
    Okay, so that really gives me hope! I had my draw this morning, so we'll find out tomorrow.

Took another FRER and digi this morning, both pointing to pregnant. I figure if the levels were going down from 23 two days ago, I wouldn't be getting a + on a digi at this point. So I think they are going up, but I guess it is just how much. Or am I wrong with that assumption? Anyway, I will let you all know tomorrow morning!
    Me (32) DH (38), TTC #1

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jc- View Post
    That's so good that they will see you today! I am hoping for the best. Stick baby...Stick!! KUP hun.
    Yeah, the nurse is great. I think she's extra nice b/c my doctor is conveniently on vacation when this is happening! Thanks for the good thoughts, and I will definitely post tomorrow!
    Me (32) DH (38), TTC #1

Hidden Content