Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default Smoking Weed With PCOS

Hi guys,

I know this is a very debated topic and I wanted to see if anyone has experience to share in this subject. I often get pain and smoking weed seems to help a lot for my PCOS.

I am not a pot head who sits around and does nothing and have a very full life (in case anyone is wondering.)

I use about 1-3 times a week but I honestly think I shouldn't do it more than once a week. It's hard not to smoke because a lot of my friends use it (for fun,) and my BF smokes every day so it is always available to me.

90% of the time it does NOT affect my food amazingly. once in awhile I get weird cravings.
    It makes me really horny. (sorry to be TMI)
    Generally I feel fine from smoking it and nothing bad happens. though I have freaked out before.

Does anyone else use weed for PCOS?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wildwoodflower For This Useful Post:

Anonymiss (09-17-2012),jyajjala (06-09-2013),TheCostumeLady (02-27-2014)

Thanks

Interesting...What daily pain do you have with your PCOS?
    Me - Nicole 31 and Hubby - Floyd 36
    Together 14yrs and Married 10yrs
    Three kiddos: Nathan 16, Breonna 14, and Camden 3 all by the miracle of adoption!

Hidden Content

Thanks

I get a lot of pelvic pain on my right side. Pressure/shooting pain sometimes. I have about 40 cysts.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

My mum has had 26 gynaelogical operations and used to smoke weed after every one to ease the pain.
    If it works for you then great.
    Personally, I would rather have a little pain than the side effects weed has.
    Diagnosed in 2009, aged 16.

2 Angel Babies.
    First I lost at 6 weeks on 25/09/12.
    Second I lost at approx 6 weeks on 26/11/12.

Currently pregnant!!

Green Fields~Golden Sands DiamondInTheRough's Avatar
    Thanks

Does anyone else use weed for PCOS?
    One can only wonder...
    Hidden Content Married SAHM - Me(35) DH(40)Hidden Content
    DS1 (2003) Clomid, IC Miracle - Bedrest, DS2 (2007) Metformin, IC Miracle - Cerclage
    Angel Baby @ 18 wks (2001) Bicornuate uterus, IC "To God we belong, and to Him is our return." Qur'an 2:156

Thanks

I get extreme lower back pain and migraines... when and only when these become unbearable, do I smoke. When I do, it always helps me. It gets rid of the pain, and it also helps me sleep (which is difficult for me when I'm hurting).

Thanks

Yes, weed can be good for sleeping, if you have problems. I think there's unnecessary taboo surrounding weed. That being said, I'm not a pot head either and I've only done weed 3 or 4 times in my entire life. I just don't like having to smoke it (hate smoking), or having to bake brownies (I have IR, so that would be counterproductive), and I don't know any other ways to consume it. But it's not so awful as people make it seem... anyway, what I find helps me greatly to sleep better is improve my diet and especially exercising, but there are some other herbs like chamomile which can have a soothing effect if you drink them as tea. My mom also uses St. John's wort pills to help her sleep, but I'm not sure about that. But research a bit, as there are many herbs which have soothing effects... and about the shooting pain, I would talk to your doctor about it, cysts or not, that doesn't sound normal.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to confundida For This Useful Post:

MoodSwings (04-17-2013)

Thanks

Soap Box- Smoking pot for any reason is wrong and imo "my friends do it so I can't say no" is just an excuse to not take responsibility for yoyr own actions. And if your ttc you shouldn't use at all or be around anyone who does its worse than cigarette smoke.

Off my box- Using pot does damage to your reproductive organs (male and female) having pcos your reproductive organs already have enough problems without adding to it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to aprilbrock23 For This Useful Post:

MCSelfONeal (04-12-2013)

Thanks

Thanks, guys! @ April- Do you have any actual evidence that smoking weed is worse than cigarettes or damages your reproductive organs? I know it is bad for male fertility (we are not currently TTC)

Thanks

I'm using my phone and don't know how to post links. Just google marijuana effects on ovaries or marijuana effects on pcos and you can find all kinds of information on medical research. The worst one they used rats and it showed that marijuana use not only had an effect on the rats but their offsprings ovaries had abnormalities too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to aprilbrock23 For This Useful Post:

DiamondInTheRough (09-17-2012)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yes. I do! I lost my insurance, and have both PCOS and endometriosis as well as a myriad of other issues. Personally, the side effects are a lot better for me than when I was on Percocet. I tend to be in too much pain to eat, and it helps me both want to eat and seems to help with the nausea once I do eat. It doesn't make me nearly as tired or spacey as the Percocet did (I don't drive, but I don't ever take anything and drive, even when I was one percocet daily) and it doesn't affect my bowels (TMI, but it's true! Meds tend to constipate me something awful) or Kidney's...which are big issues (Kidney's failed 3 years ago, always a worry now).

If I lived in a state where it was legal I know I'd be approved for it. I've talked to my doctors directly about smoking and all of them assured me it wouldn't mess with the things I'm on. If I can be a little happier, and a lot more functional. Why not? Thank you for posting this. I've been wondering if anyone else turned to weed for the pain, or if I was just a stoner trying to make an excuse! Once I have insurance again it will depend on what I'm on and what painkillers they want to give me. In my case, weed has been a cheap alternative (the percocet is $285 a month without insurance, I was on a high dose...no pun intended! And that's not including the doctor visit to get the Rx) to taking man-made narcotics.

I'm not trying to get pregnant, nor planning on having kids. I've had a cycle for almost 2 years straight now and might just sell my soul to get my ovaries and uterus removed if I thought it would work. Anything that takes some of the pain away is worth it...and unlike the Rx Narcotics, which they had to keep increasing as I developed a tolerance to them. I haven't become tolerant of it, or had to increase the amount or potency of what I smoke in years. The big plus is that once I do get a real Rx again, I've lost ALL my tolerance to the narcotics just about, so I can start at a lower dose again and not simply destroy my organs. I would reccomend, if you can afford it, to get a vaporizer to help offset the fact that you're smoking. It's better on the lungs by far. I don't smoke cigarettes or tobacco products at all and could feel the difference until I got the vaporizer and started cooking with it. (note, brownies are fools gold. Make butter and use it in seasoned mashed potatoes. I HATE the taste of weed and with all my issues have a terrible time keeping it down. Real food seems to mask it much better)

Well, I had a lot more to say on this than I planned! LOL! You mentioned above that you're not a pot head that just sits around all day..nor am I! I find it sad that we have to defend ourselves for not wanting to be in pain. I've never tried harder drugs. I function just fine, and have even LOST weight on it. I don't smoke and rarely drink. Why should I feel like a deliquent? It was wonderful reading some of the replies to your post. I see both sides. But I will say, most of the people I know that have condemned weed (And that list is VERY short actually, even people that don't do it don't all have a problem with it) have never been on long term perscription narcotics. Maybe the pain kills some of the fun? I know I'm much slower on the percocet than I've ever been on weed...thinking, reflexes, everything is closer to normal than it was when I was constantly sedated. Plus, it wears off much faster and you can't OD on it. I never abused my meds, but I've seen people send themselves to the grave that way. It's awful.

Personally, I'll probably stick to the weed at least occasionally until they make it legal and I can get the kind designed specifically for pain relief. The side effects have been SO much better. Thanks again for asking this! Anyone that wants to, feel free to friend me and please don't condmn me!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anonymiss For This Useful Post:

honeygirl31 (08-22-2013),mariahswind (02-19-2014),MoodSwings (04-17-2013),thejenerator (04-20-2014)

Thanks

Thanks, Anonymiss! I agree- it's much better than taking hardcore pain killers FOR SURE. I live in CA and it's legal but I don't have a prescription. I am trying to keep it to a couple times a week tops because I know that smoking anything can mess with your hormones and be bad for your health. I use socially as well as medicinally. So far I haven't had a problem and in my opinion is as long as I don't do it ALL THE TIME it's probably fine. I don't drink at all anymore, nor do I eat sugar, and try to follow a healthy plant-based diet to the best of my ability. A lot of people say that it's bad to do but I think dosage is really the key thing not whether or not you ever consume cannabis. As to April- I do not see a lot of proof that moderate marijuana usage can effect your children's ovaries. It's probably not fantastic for you but when I am TTC I'll just stop smoking and figure it out from there. I had terrible pain the other night, smoked five hits off a pipe and then was able to eat a good dinner and get a great night's sleep. Seems worth it to me. I was just curious how many cysters use.

Thanks

I don't smoke weed for pelvic and cyst pain, but I do smoke Damiana and Blue Lotus for the same reason. It's completely legal and damiana has actually been linked to increased fertility and hormone balance. If I'm in a lot of pain I'll smoke it, it gives a high much milder then pot and leaves you lucid except for the pain relief and relaxation. It can also be brewed into a tea. It's a natural anti-depressant and helps with libido.

I figure we're all adults, as long as your okay with your decisions about what your doing it's nobody elses business
    Hidden Content Me 25 & DH 29 Hidden Content
    PCOS, Diabetes & Hashimotos Disease
    Metformin 2000mg, Thyroxine 150mcg, Inositol 1800mg & Maca Root 800mg

2000 - 2010- Diagnosed w/PCOS, then with Diabetes. No treatments
    2011- 1st roung 50mg Clomid Diagnosed w/ Hashimotos and 1/2 thyroid removed

2012 - Loosing weight and getting ready for Clomid January 2013

Thanks

I'm also not a stoner or pot head but I do use pot to help with my symptoms. Since my symptoms got worse (and even before I actually got diagnosed) I started smoking a bit. I smoke about 2-3 times a week, right before bed, to help me with insomnia and help with pelvic pain. It also helps tremendously with the PMDD that comes with my PCOS. It helps a ton with depression, mood swings as well as lethargy. I've found that I'm much more productive the next day after smoking the night before. And best of all, the effects from smoking seem to last a day or two, so there's no need to be stoned all of the time.

That said, if you're using it as a medicine, you should use it only as a medicine, and not over-use it for recreational use. Same as any prescription. Your tolerance will go up, and pot will lose it's effectiveness, so you're really just shooting yourself in the foot in that way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,875 Times in 1,320 Posts

Pot smoke is worse for your lungs than cig smoke, partially because it's not filtered, but it also has much higher levels of tar. It can give you lung cancer and emphysema just the same. Cooking is a much better option than smoking.
    Emily (36) & DH Kevin (37), married 10/24/10
    9/22/12 ECTOPIC pregnancy
    10/17 Clomid cycle, no response
    12/1 Higher dose clomid cycle - O, BFN
    1/3 Follistim cycle - OHSS, Chemical pregnancy
    2/11 Follistim cycle 2, lower dose - BFP 3/4! EDD 11/13/13
    3/6 beta 197, p4 33.6! 3/11 beta 1593!
    It's a BOY! Samuel Jacob born 11/2/13 at 38w3d
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content