Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default How much do you spend on food every month?

It's just me and DH. We tend to eat a bunch of meat since we are low-carb and my DH loves meat. I just feel like we spend a TON of money on groceries every month.

So I pose the question to you...
    1. How much do you spend on food monthly (include groceries and eating out)?
    2. How many people are in your family?
    3. Where do you live?
    4. Do you have any tips for reducing a food bill, especially on a low carb diet? I can't spend hours clipping coupons!

Thanks ladies, and hopefully this will be helpful for others too!
    me 28 (Lean PCOS) Hidden Content dh 33
    TTC #1 since early 2011
    May 2011- natural pregnancy (metformin only); m/c @ 9 weeks + D&C
    July 2011- lap to remove dermoid cyst
    TTC naturally until July 2012, BFNs
    August 2012-February 2013- 6 rounds of Clomid, 1 IUI, O'd every cycle, BFNs
    Since then....: several cycles of soy isos, O'd, BFN
    August 2014- lap to remove uterine septum. Everything else looking good.
    Moving onto IVF December 2014

Thanks

I spend A LOT of money on food and it's just me and my DH. I eat paleo (no grains or dairy) and DH eats just normal low-carb. I gotta be honest, I don't track it as well as I should. Also, in terms of some meat, we buy 1/4 cow and 1/2 pig each year, as it's cheaper over the long run that way (and I believe the meat is healthier, free of growth hormones, etc.). I also buy a lot of fruits and veggies organic, although not all because the selection here in Canada most of year sucks. As an estimate, I'd say I spend approx. $150/week on groceries for the two of us...keep in mind, food is way more expensive here than it is in the US and we don't have the "extreme couponing" options so I may not be the best comparison for you

Thanks

Thanks Shantess! I kind of giggled when I read your post because we spend more than that every month on food!
    TTC #1 since early 2011

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Like Shantess, I too, live in the great white North. As a result, food does tend to be pricier here, especially in the winter months. We're lowish carb (about 100g net a day), but we haven't gone completely paleo ...yet. Might get there next year.

We don't keep very good track, mostly because my partner does most of the cooking and I haven't got a clue what he spends. *lol* But I'm figuring probably $100 - $150 a week for us too. We don't buy so much organic, but we do try to buy from local suppliers whenever possible. (In Central Canada, organic produce is still quite expensive. Maybe it's cheaper down East or in BC.)

I'd buy a quarter and a half but we have a very small apartment which already contains a pretty well stocked deep freeze. The only place I know of that does sales by subscription only does halves, which is far more meat than we need (even though we are pretty carnivorous), and the $200 a month is more than we can swing right now. Maybe next year!

Not sure if that helps...

=Betty=
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage
    "Ships are safe in harbour, but that's not what ships were made for." John. A. Shedd
    "What other people think of me is none of my business..." (a friend of mine)
    Hidden Content

Thanks

We are not very low card at all so I will not be a big help.

I go grocery shopping once a month and spend anywhere between 200-250 dollars. The only meat suggestion I have is,buy in bulk and freeze it into diff meals. Mind you though,The only meal we eat at home is Dinner and unless its Sunday.

We Set aside 25 dollars each for lunch durning the week.
    Amanda (27) Hidden Content Mike (30) TTC #1
    5 round of Clomid- No O-BFNS
    4rounds Repronex- all BFN
    4 year break! Now back on the wagon!
    6/12- Femara 7.5= O but BFN 32 day cycle
    7/12-Femara 7.5= Not sure if I O'd BFN 29 day cycle
    8/12-Femara 7.5= O but BFN
    9/12-Only took 2.5 mg. NO O
    10/12- O,bad BD timing,waiting for AF Hidden Content

Thanks

Wow, Amanda. We probably spend 4x that amount (and I'm including your lunch money!) lol, I really new to re-evaluate the money we spend on good. Does shopping at Sams Club really help?
    TTC #1 since early 2011

Thanks

I shop at Sams and Walmart and I honestly think thats how I stay so low in cost. We also are big pop drinkers so I buy 5 12packs a month too.
    Amanda (27) Hidden Content Mike (30) TTC #1
    5 round of Clomid- No O-BFNS
    4rounds Repronex- all BFN
    4 year break! Now back on the wagon!
    6/12- Femara 7.5= O but BFN 32 day cycle
    7/12-Femara 7.5= Not sure if I O'd BFN 29 day cycle
    8/12-Femara 7.5= O but BFN
    9/12-Only took 2.5 mg. NO O
    10/12- O,bad BD timing,waiting for AF Hidden Content

Thanks

I buy groceries every two weeks and make a meal plan. I am on a low carb diet so we have 2 nights chicken, 2 pork, 1 fish, 1 beef and 1 meatless. We eat out once every 2 weeks also. So for everything it's about $400 a month for my husband and me. I used to buy in bulk but now I buy local farm raised meat. We mostly do fresh veggies but sometimes frozen. This winter we may supplement with deer meat if we get enough. I don't buy processed foods, they are too much of a temptation. Hubby packs his lunch and I usually save 1/2 my plate from the night before for lunch. We live in Virginia and are close to a large city with places like whole foods, trader joes and Tom Leonard's.

Thanks

Also a Canadian paleo eater. I budget myself (and I live alone) $450/month for food. Please keep in mind I'm a weightlifter and eat a ridiculous amount of food in a day - 2500kcals easily, likely more.

I order my meat once a month from a local farm that delivers into the city. They do organic, pastured pork and poultry as well as grass fed organic beef. Fruits and veggies I get through a bin service at an organic grocer, along with my herbs, spices and my cooking fat. I don't really do any canned or packaged food. I could likely eat similar kinds of food, but purchased from Walmart, Superstore or Costco for less but I find organic produce has more flavour and the farm-fresh meat is so, so good. Were I to try and find savings, I'd ditch the organic fruits and veggies before going to grocery store meat. The price, per pound, from the farm is actually pretty reasonable when I price compare and I like knowing that the animals didn't make their way into a commercial feedlot and meat packing plant before making their way into my deep freeze.

I think focus on what you're eating first and finding budget-friendly versions of those foods then look to add in higher quality versions of those foods as your budget allows.

Green Fields~Golden Sands DiamondInTheRough's Avatar
    Thanks

According to my husband we spend $2Much. I'm mostly low-carb, but my kids/DH eat a larger variety of pretty much everything. I'm lucky that they aren't picky at all, and actually turn down 'boxed/packaged' foods....the wallet doesn't appreciate that part so much, though! Haha
    Hidden Content Married SAHM - Me(35) DH(40)Hidden Content
    DS1 (2003) Clomid, IC Miracle - Bedrest, DS2 (2007) Metformin, IC Miracle - Cerclage
    Angel Baby @ 18 wks (2001) Bicornuate uterus, IC "To God we belong, and to Him is our return." Qur'an 2:156

Scientist and mother Midnightingale's Avatar
    Thanks

It's hard to say how much I spend. I'm afraid it depends on how often we eat out and how much alcohol we buy.

So I pose the question to you...
    1. How much do you spend on food monthly (include groceries and eating out)?
    Weekly my groceries are about $70-$90, but I try to buy lots of fresh produce and organic foods. This doesn't not include many of my husbands weekly lunches, since he gets them with his own money and doesn't often do leftovers/homemade.

2. How many people are in your family?
    Just the two of us.

3. Where do you live?
    I grocery shop in Massachusetts

4. Do you have any tips for reducing a food bill, especially on a low carb diet? I can't spend hours clipping coupons!
    Make crock pot meals (soups/stews) that can stretch your ingredients. Cook big meals and take leftovers in for lunch during the week or even re-use later. I like to buy the rotisserie chickens at the grocery store and make a lot of meals from that (meat that night for dinner, then for lunch, and usually enough for soup or sandwiches later). Sometimes frozen veggies are cheaper because they don't go bad like fresh, and in soups and chilis and casseroles they're not much different in flavor than fresh. Avoid prepackaged convenience foods unless there is a sale (like canned soup occasionally drops to 3/$5 at my local store, and then it's worth buying). Get things that are staples on sale and stock up, like when cans of tuna drop to 4/$5 you get 10 cans instead of just 4.
    Me 28, DH 31

TTC 2 years
    6 failed IUIs (3 Clomid and 3 Gonal-F)
    IVF #1: 10/12 Chemical
    FET#1: 2/13 BFP! EDD November 7th, 2013
    Ronan Matthew: Born October 15th, 2013. 7lb2oz Hidden Content Our perfect little boy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dee515 View Post
    Thanks Shantess! I kind of giggled when I read your post because we spend more than that every month on food!
    Haha ok now I don't feel so bad! However, i wasn't counting the cow and pig in that cost, which would equal about another $50/month. I also forgot to mention that my DH and his dad hunt and fish so we get lots of our protein that way (for free).

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It's also just my husband and I. We live in Alabama and spend between $375-500 a month on groceries. I mostly take my lunches to work, but he mostly eats out, probably easily another $200 a month. I try to eat healthy for the most part, but end up wasting money on easy dinners because I'm usually too tired to cook when I come home.

I do enjoy cooking in the crock pot. It is easy to make a meal for 2-3 nights in them, very cheap and it cooks all day when you're gone.

I've also discovered dried beans (kidney beans, etc) to make various salads with but I need to find better recipes to keep them interesting....
    Kim - 30 Hidden Content Tim - 32
    missed m/c - 3-15-13 @ 11 weeks
    DS 1: Sebastian Glen born May 28, 2014 @ 38w2d!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Green Fields~Golden Sands DiamondInTheRough's Avatar
    Thanks

Sinnie, my family loves kidney beans. I make a stew out of them. I start with sauteed onions/garlic in olive oil, add diced tomato, italian seasoning, water, bring it to a boil, add the kidney beans and turn it down to a simmer until they are soft enough. As a variation, I sometimes add carrots and celery, as well as chopped up stew meat. You can enjoy a bowl as is, or have it along side brown rice or quinoa.
    Hidden Content Married SAHM - Me(35) DH(40)Hidden Content
    DS1 (2003) Clomid, IC Miracle - Bedrest, DS2 (2007) Metformin, IC Miracle - Cerclage
    Angel Baby @ 18 wks (2001) Bicornuate uterus, IC "To God we belong, and to Him is our return." Qur'an 2:156

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DiamondInTheRough For This Useful Post:

sinnie (12-01-2012)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks!! I will try that!! I don't think my husband cares for them much, but I would love more ideas and take them to work for lunches. So I will try this.... I just love that they have so much fiber and protein. For a while when I was eating them (not canned) I would end up with like 50G of fiber that day, which is nuts, LOL
    Kim - 30 Hidden Content Tim - 32
    missed m/c - 3-15-13 @ 11 weeks
    DS 1: Sebastian Glen born May 28, 2014 @ 38w2d!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content