Thanks

Default Vitex - Take a break or not?

For those who aren't following my story -

For years I bled without stopping for months at a time. I started taking Vitex for a few months last year. Regular 28-34 day cycles = BFP with my DS, that is now 7 months old.
    When DS was 3 months old, began taking Vitex again. CD 50-something = BFP last month = m/c. Had some spotting post m/c at CD 21-25.
    Today I'm on CD44 and no AF and still BFN hpts.

For those of you that have done Vitex - do you take a break on it?
    I have taken Vitex everyday for a few months...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaMO For This Useful Post:

Tamel (01-13-2013)

wannabe rainbow mummy Berties_mum's Avatar
    Thanks

I have read so many conflicting theories on vitex. I took it for about 10 months this time round, and for a while it did improve (shorten) my cycles. This was before I was diagnoses, but I suspected PCOS. I stopped it when I started metformin, as my cycles were gradually getting longer again and I just felt like I'd got the best out of it that I was going to, and I wanted to see what the met would do. I am happy to say that on met alone I ov'd on cd 23 this cycle! It is different for everyone though so if you feel vitex is working for you, then I think it is fine to stay on it long term......one site I read said up to 18 months.....but as I say, different folks say different things.
    Sarah (32) Angel mummy to one special little guy, born at 26+3 18-20th September 2011
    TTC No 2 since Feb 2012, diagnosed PCOS Nov 2012

Six monitored rounds of clomid =BFN. Ovarian drilling 14/3/14. Hysteroscopy all clear 30/9/14, about to start IVF soon!

When you left, I broke in two, so one of me could go with you <3 Bertie. View my blog on life after baby loss at Hidden Content

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Berties_mum For This Useful Post:

AngelaMO (12-28-2012)

Such stuff as dreams... Katie_Lucey's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,945 Times in 2,271 Posts

I did the met and vitex combo and it worked well for me to O and have regular cycles. After a few months of just a regular daily dose I started upping my dose to 1200mgs cd3-7 and then back to 400mgs daily the rest of the cycle. That got me Oing as well. If you are unsure of this cycle you could try a higher dose for a few days and see if it gets things moving again,.
    Katie (32) Patrick ( 33)
    M/C: 02/01*10/10*03/12*04/12
    August 2011- Connor was born
    February 2013- Jackson was born
    We are overwhelmingly blessed!
    Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Katie_Lucey For This Useful Post:

AngelaMO (12-28-2012)

Thanks

I am currently on Vitex. Should a woman wanting to become pregnant continue on the V until preg is achieved? Does it help with ovulation?

Thanks

YES! It helps with ovulation and regulation of cycles. And you should NOT stop if you get a positive test. You have to wean off of it towards the end of the first trimester- around 8-9 weeks- just as you would progesterone.
    Katie (32) Patrick ( 33)
    Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Katie_Lucey For This Useful Post:

PCOS12 (02-04-2013)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

is vitex similar to progesterone people take to help keep levels up after concieving
    Hidden Content

Samantha(me) ~ Richard(DH)
    Lillian Rayne born 2/15/13 Hidden Content my world

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sammiexsue View Post
    is vitex similar to progesterone people take to help keep levels up after concieving
    Yes! It can help balance hormones and for many pcos ladies that means too much estrogen, not enough progesterone. So it can help to make progesterone and help support during pregnancy.
    Katie (32) Patrick ( 33)
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Thank you Katie for your post about Vitex and ovulation. I have been on it for almost a year and half for my PCOS. I am concerned about taking it during pregnancy since there is little research to verify it is safe for baby. Do you know of any researched articles out there on the safety of Vitex during pregancy? So far, I know some women believe it is safe in the first trimester. I wonder if there is better researched advice?

Thanks

I had googled it and read many many things about it from different sources before starting it.. I would start there and see what info you get and what you think is reliable. People vary in opinion. If I got pg on it I was prepared to stay on the entire pregnancy. That was just me after reading both sides of the argument. Basically for me it came down to- it's been around for years and years and no herbs are considered " safe" bc there is no solid research done on pregnant women much like regular meds. AFter reading personal stories, articles, and posts about it from various sources I weighed it out for myself and that's the conclusion I came to- but there are arguments for both sides. The most important thing is not to stop cold turkey at that bfp. You have to take it at least through the first 9 weeks and then wean off.
    Katie (32) Patrick ( 33)
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I will definitely do some more research. Thanks for sharing how you came to a conclusion for yourself.