Thanks

Question Metformin er vs regular met for weight loss?

Hey ladies!

I've come across some info on this before, but it was very scattered, and I can't find any exact posts on it... But is regular metformin better for weight loss than metformin ER?

A few years ago, I was on regular Metformin, 500mg 3x a day (I think)...And I dropped weight like *that*! I hardly had to try, got to my lowest weight ever, and it stayed there. I felt great, too! No fogginess, plenty of energy, etc... Then I was off Met for a few months, gained weight, and went back on Met, but ER this time... And the weight hasn't budged! Right now I take 2000mg ER (all at night - though I've also tried splitting am/pm), and no weight loss. I could definitely try harder, but I'm just sayin', before I didn't even have to try. It was fabulous...Why did I ever go off?!

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I see the endo on Jan. 8th and am thinking of asking to try regular Met again...

Thanks so much!

K

Thanks
    Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,757 Posts

Your body will eventually reach a point where you do have to work harder. Metformin doesn't really guarantee weight loss either way, it's just a side effect for a lucky few. I didn't lose much on either med once my body adjusted and I stopped having diarrhea.
    Justine (33) Hidden Content DH (34)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "In truth, the art of baby making is not an art at all, nor even a science,
    but completely governed by the absolute nonsensical unknown that is at the heart of all existence here on earth and elsewhere." - Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

i actually find regular met more effective. (after using glucophage XR and then normal glucophage from mersk)
    And i think, it definately helps in reducing appetite and increasing metabolism, probably that and added to an active lifestyle, the change was more prominent and effective.
    ask ur doc if its okay for you to change to regular met

Thanks

I just had the same problem! My endo doc put me on regular metoformin an I lost weight then i wanted to try extended release but i ended up prego but mc at 9 weeks the obgyn doc took me off my pills an wasnt suppose to! My endo doc was a lil upset about that so I gained some weight so after my mc I started the extended release an the weight wasnt coming off an I gain a little on that an i tried it it for 6 months so i got sick of it an went back to my endo an told him it wasnt working like the regular so today he switch me back! He said extended release aint for everyone but I tried he said people tend to loose more weight with regular metoformin! He had me on 2000 a day with reqular an extended release

Thanks

Thanks ladies for the replies. I asked him and he said it shouldn't make a difference, so for now I'm sticking with the XR... But if I can't lost this weight after kicking up the effort, I'm gonna see if he'll let me switch.

Missdestinie, let me know if that ends up working better! Because your med experience sounds a lot like mine. Please keep us updated!