Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oily Skin???

Thanks

Angry Oily Skin???

My face has always been slightly dry, I've always moisterized twice a day. Recently my face and hair have been EXTREMELY oily. Im almost certain this has something to do with the PCOS, was wondering if anyone else has this problem and if you ladies have any suggestions of something that might help. Within hours of showering/washing my face, it looks like i rubbed baby oil on my face

I can't pinpoint any big changes in my routine.

I did talk to my current Dr about this, but as usual she offers very little support.

Thanks

It does have everything to do with PCOS. The worst issue is if you start to develop large acne cysts (fortunately I don't think many people get those on their face). However if you have normal acne and oily skin the best thing to do is to develop a skin care routine for night and morning (a cleanser and a moisturizer for oily skin should do). I also like to use an oil reducing mask once a week when it's especially bad. Then I carry blotting tissues with me all day. I'm not one of make up, and the blotting tissues work great.

Transcending the Self.... soulcyster.indeed's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Give Fuller's Earth (a.k.a Multani Mati/mitti in India and Pakistan) a try. It's a natural stuff that you can apply as face pack once or twice a week. It helps smoothes acne and reduce oil secretion in face.
    Last edited by soulcyster.indeed; 01-11-2013 at 07:29 AM.

Thanks

I have the same problem. With my hair ive been using baby shampoo or a light shampoo. They help me keep my hair grease free for atleast 1 day. I sometimes use dry shampoo inbetween washes as i dont always have time to wash and dry my hair every morning if im on my early starts. ive tried washing my hair before i go to bed but again its greasy when i wake up

Thanks

Thankfully I dont have any cystic acne. Just the common acne I've had my entire life, the oily mess prob dont help it any. As far as my night/morning routine. Im not sure what I could change at this point. Everything I have tried brings the same result. I've been using paper towels to clean my face and then reapply just powder makeup.

Any ideas where I could find Fullers Earth? and what is it?

I keep hearing about ladies using baby shampoo, for numerous reasons. I may have to give it a try.

Thanks Ladies

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Fuller's earth is typically obtained from some place in Pakistan. I think you can get it in shops /online stores that deal in products native to India.

Thanks

Could it be anything with the weather? It's strange for your face to flip like that but totally possible. I use a DDF mattifying (sp?) lotion during the day which works pretty well. That, and blotting tissues.
    I'm 31. Great job. Great husband. Great kid. Crappy hair. Crappy lots of other things.
    Come visit my blog (with pics!) and follow my journey through PCOS, hair loss & other not-so-fun stuff: Hidden Content

Registered User helloimchristie's Avatar
    Thanks

I feel like I have very oily skin as well. I don't know if it's PCOS related or just the way I am. I can wash my face, then 30 minutes later it's greasy to the touch again. I do use Covergirl oil control foundation and powder, plus I wash my face twice daily. I hadn't been moisturizing but I got a Purity bath set for Christmas that came with facial moisturizer and love it, so I use a little on my face daily. I know some women that have to carry around tissues and blot their face during the day. Mine isn't that bad, but it might be tip if you needed to do that. To my knowledge there's not much you can do for oily skin - just try to adjust.
    Diagnosed with PCOS in 2011
    Hidden Content Happily married to my high school sweetheart since 7.16.2011Hidden Content
    Currently taking Metformin 1,000 mg daily & prenatals
    TTC naturally since January 2013 ~ Hoping for some good news by Christmas!
    Teamed up with a friend on Facebook to create a special page for women with PCOS.
    Hidden Content "Like" our page on FB - Pretty In PCOS Hidden Content
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pretty-in-PCOS/141848609354516

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have horribly oily skin AND hair as well. I found that only washing my face once a day helps. If I use a face wash that over-dries my face, my face will be extra oily a few hours later. I've also seen rice paper face wipe-type things that you kind of dab around your face to reduce oil throughout the day. If you have an oily scalp also, I have recently found that ONLY conditioning the ends of my hair and never the roots helps me hair not be oily so soon after a shower!
    Reyna (25) Hunky husband (29) Hidden Content
    TTC (between deployments) since 2009.
    Currently on Femara unmonitored & Metformin.

Thanks

Thanks for the tips ladies!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ReynaAlc View Post
    I have horribly oily skin AND hair as well. I found that only washing my face once a day helps. If I use a face wash that over-dries my face, my face will be extra oily a few hours later. I've also seen rice paper face wipe-type things that you kind of dab around your face to reduce oil throughout the day. If you have an oily scalp also, I have recently found that ONLY conditioning the ends of my hair and never the roots helps me hair not be oily so soon after a shower!

this is important!!

oil is not the enemy, if oil were bad, our body wouldn't produce it. If your face or scalp are super oily, it's because you're stripping away all your natural oils and your body is working frantically to balance it out. Take it from someone who used to wash their hair every day, now I wash my hair once a week with conditioner only (yep, no shampoo in my shower!) it was brutal for a few weeks but my scalp eventually stopped producing so much oil. Your skin does the same thing.

Now, since quitting bcp's I developed oily skin and cystic acne. Then I started the oil cleansing method. It sounds Crazy to wash your face with oil but it makes sense if you do your research. My skin is now softer, not oily, and the best part is the hardened sebum plugs in my pores are finally coming out!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ohrandi For This Useful Post:

Kristalynne (03-24-2013),soulcyster.indeed (01-26-2013)

Thanks

Dr. Hauschka products have changed my life. Seriously, I'm a skincare junkie, and after trying them, I don't use many other brands. They just "work" with your skin.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ohrandi View Post
    Your skin does the same thing.

Now, since quitting bcp's I developed oily skin and cystic acne. Then I started the oil cleansing method. It sounds Crazy to wash your face with oil but it makes sense if you do your research. My skin is now softer, not oily, and the best part is the hardened sebum plugs in my pores are finally coming out!!
    I'm also starting with OCM since a few days back. As of now, I oil cleanse only at night. Need some advice...

I normally wash my face thrice daily - after I wake up, during shower and after returning from outside, if not then at night before sleep.

Do I oil cleanse each time I need to clean my face?

Thanks

I also love the OCM... And to answer the above poster, I personally oil cleanse only twice per day - once right after I shower in the morning, and then once more before bed. I actually try to avoid doing it any more than that. Switching to once a day wasn't quite enough for me either. So, I guess your mileage will vary? The idea I think is that you aren't stripping your face of essential oils, and washing excessively can prompt your skin to keep chugging out more oil. Maybe if you're showering, you can just give a quick water rinse and pat dry, adding a dab of oil in your hand and applying afterwards if you need more moisture. I actually love how the OCM has smoothed my face. I still get acne and my blackheads aren't much better, but the overall texture of my face has improved greatly. I also found I could tinker with the oil blends to find out what was right for my face.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to fluffyclouds For This Useful Post:

soulcyster.indeed (02-03-2013)

Thanks

Oily skin sucks. I suppose there are way worse things but it still sucks having to blot or reapply make-up every hour or look like an oil slick (and I'm not exagerating). I think mine is half PCOS related, half just stupid genetics (both my parents have very oily skin so I was doomed from birth). I've tried every cleansing technique and product known to man - prescription, over-the-counter, and the OCM. None make a bit of difference. While I agree with the above comment that stripping your skin with soap can make your skin over-produce oil, for some people, it doesn't matter what you do...your skin just over-produces oil regardless. Even on the bcp, which took care of every other PCOS symptom, I still had oily skin. Can't fight genetics sometimes.
    Me (33) Hidden Content DH (36) Married April 2011
    - TTC since July 2011
    - Dx PCOS (anovulatory, thin cyster) June 2012.
    - 4/12/12: Clomid 50 mg cd3-7. O'd cd18!! Short LP. BFN Hidden Content
    - 4/1/13: Clomid 50 mg cd3-7. O'd cd17!!! BFP!! EDD Oct. 8, 2013. TEAM PINK!!!
    Hidden Content
    - 13/10/13: DD born happy & healthy Hidden Content