Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Default has anyone lost weight on metformin XR (extended release version)

it seems like the people who say they lost weight are taking regular metformin, whereas the people who take the XR say it is easier on their stomachs but never mention any weight loss. I'm taking the XR because of my stomach, but really need to lose weight. the XR is making me hungry all the time and I feel like I'm gaining weight. I also have a terrible, constant headache. has anyone lost any weight on metformin XR??

Thanks

I've lost about 12lbs since starting metformin ER. I will say that it didn't just fall off, I had to watch what I ate (low carb, low gi diet combo, so basically low carb, but I don't exclude any fruits or vegetables except maybe white potatoes) and I also exercise pretty regularly (not everyday, but around 2-4 days a week, HIIT or jogging, depending on when I have time).
    nicole.29 Hidden Content dh.30
    diagnosed with pcos june 2012
    ntnp november 2011
    ttc #1 June 2012
    8.17.13---BFP at 9dpo thanks to femaprin (vitex), metformin, and pregnitude!!! EDD 4.29.2014---IT'S A BOY!!!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

I've only been on met for 4 days - not xr - and am finding it impossible to stick to my diet because my blood sugar keeps getting too low so I have to eat more often (and I already did the 5 small meals a day thing). I am hungry all the time and also having the constant headache, so it seems our side effects are similar despite the different formulations. I'm also not experiencing the diarrhea that some people credit with helping them feel like they're losing weight. I have gained 1lb so far and really hoping it is just the initial adjustment phase.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,757 Posts

Not without significant change to my diet.
    Justine (33) Hidden Content DH (34)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "In truth, the art of baby making is not an art at all, nor even a science,
    but completely governed by the absolute nonsensical unknown that is at the heart of all existence here on earth and elsewhere." - Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,868 Times in 1,313 Posts

Met kills my appetite, I lose weight on it whether I want to or not. But it's not a weight loss drug. It might allow you to lose weight easier than you would without it, but you still have to eat healthy and exercise.
    Emily (36) & DH Kevin (37), married 10/24/10
    9/22/12 ECTOPIC pregnancy
    10/17 Clomid cycle, no response
    12/1 Higher dose clomid cycle - O, BFN
    1/3 Follistim cycle - OHSS, Chemical pregnancy
    2/11 Follistim cycle 2, lower dose - BFP 3/4! EDD 11/13/13
    3/6 beta 197, p4 33.6! 3/11 beta 1593!
    It's a BOY! Samuel Jacob born 11/2/13 at 38w3d
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

you are soooo lucky, petiteflower. my life would be so much easier if met took away my appetite instead of making me starving. I wouldn't mind never eating, lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,868 Times in 1,313 Posts

Given that right now I'm borderline underweight, I absolutely HATE this side effect. I also tend towards low blood sugar so I get really cranky and headachy if I don't eat, so I have to make myself eat, but I don't enjoy my food like I used to. I would love if it made me hungry! Hopefully your body will get used to it and the side effects will decrease over time. I tolerate it better now than I did when I started taking it 6 months ago. But I still look forward to being done with TTC so I can go back to being on birth control instead of met!
    Emily (36) & DH Kevin (37), married 10/24/10
    9/22/12 ECTOPIC pregnancy
    10/17 Clomid cycle, no response
    12/1 Higher dose clomid cycle - O, BFN
    1/3 Follistim cycle - OHSS, Chemical pregnancy
    2/11 Follistim cycle 2, lower dose - BFP 3/4! EDD 11/13/13
    3/6 beta 197, p4 33.6! 3/11 beta 1593!
    It's a BOY! Samuel Jacob born 11/2/13 at 38w3d
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I started taking it again and I'm always hungry. Is anyone else having this problem? I looked on drugs.com, and for side effects it said more common: loss of appetite. less common: increased appetite. I wonder why it effects some of us differently?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by novashine View Post
    I started taking it again and I'm always hungry. Is anyone else having this problem? I looked on drugs.com, and for side effects it said more common: loss of appetite. less common: increased appetite. I wonder why it effects some of us differently?
    that's how it was for the first month on regular metformin for me...but it realy just takes time and then it killed my appetite at 2nd month, just give it some more time i'd say.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Some days I have no appetite, other days you can't fill me. For the most part since I've been on the met I've been more on the side of no appetite, and when I do feel starving I eat half of what I've prepared and I feel full. I did lose weight though- within the first 3 weeks I lost almost 5kgs, which never happens for me (once spent 6 months eating 1500 calories a day, going to the gym 4 days a week and didn't lose a single kg). If I was trying harder, not falling off the healthy bandwagon and excercising more I reckon the weight would be falling off.
    TTCSOTTTC (Trying To Convince Significant Other To Try To Conceive)Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Diagnosis floated between PCOS and Endo over 10 years
    BCP 3/12 -
    Ceased BCP 12/13
    Lap 3/13- no endo, no cysts, no follicles, normal labs
    Met 1000mg 10/13 - Met 1500mg 12/13
    AF naturally 2/14!!! And every 35 days since!!!

Hidden Content

Thanks

For the most part, it kills my appetite and I still have a really bad upset stomach. I swear it feels as if I have lost 5 pounds in the past 2 weeks! (Not that its a bad thing seeing as how I have to lose close to 70!)
    Me: 27 DH: 34
    Married: July 4th 2005

Angel Baby: 1/6/06
    Isaiah: 1/5/07 (BFP:4/26/06)
    Jacob: 9/6/12 (BFP: 1/19/12)

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

I've lost 9lbs in the last month and a half taking ER, but that was with strict adherence to a low GI diet. The same diet without Metformin did nothing for my weight loss.
    Me: 35 DH: 41 | TTC #1 | Hidden Content

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mischief For This Useful Post:

montgomery555 (01-29-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by afallstarxfall View Post
    that's how it was for the first month on regular metformin for me...but it realy just takes time and then it killed my appetite at 2nd month, just give it some more time i'd say.
    Wow, thanks so much for posting! This really encouraged me to stick with it. I hope that's what happens to me! I hope it's just my body getting used to lower blood sugar. I feel like I may have gained weight :/

Thanks

I've been taking metformin XR for five days and have lost 6 pounds. I'm taking 500 mg 2x a day and do eat a low GI diet, have for years but it's never made a difference in my weight until the metformin was added!

Thanks

I've taken Met ER for about 5 years now, and when I first started I lost weight and such the first few months...but since then it's kind of hit a stopping point.