Thread: Lexapro?

Thanks

Default Lexapro?

Hi was wondering if I could get some feedback from anyone who has been on Lexapro? I don't know what my problem is, my doc thinks I have PTSD, I also happen to have thyroiditis (hyperthyroid) which my endo thinks is postpartum but i think i have a thyroid problem even without the postpartum. Anywho I'm ridiculous and am nervous about starting the lexapro because of the sexual side effects and weight gain...but honestly more so the sexual side effects, i was told however that as far as ssri's go it is on the lower end of side effects. Just hoping someone can ease my overactive mind for me thanks!
    Dreama -31- Mommy to Tatham (7) and Dalton (5) and Sepp (babycakes)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,756 Posts

I took it for about a year. I'm not sure what your sex drive is now, but for me it was horrible before I started the med. I was so depressed and anxious that my drive was low and honestly my DH wasn't interested either. Once I got on the meds and started feeling better, sex came back on the radar and it definitely picked up for us. I know that's different for everyone, but I didn't notice my drive decrease at all.

I took it for Generalized Anxiety and depression so I can't speak to how it works in postpartum or PTSD, but I know it did help me tremendously. My life wasn't worth much when I started and I was getting close to suicidal - it took a combo of Lexapro and talk therapy to help but it did.
    Justine (33) Hidden Content DH (34)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "In truth, the art of baby making is not an art at all, nor even a science,
    but completely governed by the absolute nonsensical unknown that is at the heart of all existence here on earth and elsewhere." - Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

I took Lexapro for two years for depression. I have since switched to Wellbutrin because it didn't seem to be working anymore. At that time, I didn't yet know I had PCOS, so I'm not sure which came first, the chicken or the egg (I think the PCOS did). In the beginning, my sex drive was already low, and the rx made it worse for a month maybe. I was honest with my SO, and he was really good about it. We just had to use a lubricant for a while, and I didn't always have an orgasm. But after that...I think it actually increased my sex drive! Once I got over the hump, I was feeling more interested, had better orgasms than ever before, and just felt free and uninhibited with my SO.

As defy said above, this is just my experience. I hope you find something that works for you!
    Me: 32, BF: 32
    Dx: March 2013
    Rxs: phentermine, Wellbutrin, Nuvaring
    Future rxs: metformin
    Not TTC yet, but want to
    Fur babies: Zoe, Walter, and Jack

Thanks

I have been taking Lexapro for about a year. Yes, it has killed my sex drive dead. However, I find I enjoy sex more anyway because I am no longer depressed. It has been the only medication I've found that has controlled my depression. I'd say give it a try if your doctor thinks it will be best! I hope everything works out for you.

Thanks

I was on Lexapro in the past a while back for a bit. It didn't make me gain weight and I don't remember experiencing many side effects from it. Overall, it did make me feel a lot better while I was on it, but now that I am older, I try to stay away from antidepressants and try to work it out in my own head, as hard as it is!

Thanks

I've been taking it for about 10 years and haven't had any problems with weight gain, infact I'm underweight. I had no sec drive anyway do haven't noticed a difference there. Lexapro has been a lifesaver for me.