Thanks

Default Or is it Premature Ovarian Failure....?

Question! How do we know it is PCOS and not Premature Ovarian Failure?

I've been managing PCOS since I was 16. I am now 24. I have good insurance to see the doctor, but they're never a ton of help. I've been on birth control, hated it, went the au natural method of diet and exercise...lost weight. Then my periods just STOPPED two years ago. Had to get Progestin to bump it back up...was fine...periods slowed down again...year later, STOPPED. Prescribed Provera for less side effects, and my body just refuses to have a real period. Three days light bleeding IF I'm lucky (usually not) but nothing is really fixed. I can go as long as I want without a period!

I have night sweats, foggy thinking, forgetfulness, thats just the beginning! But just about every symptom of menopause. I have phantom periods too! Didn't know it existed, I thought it was just me! I will get ALL the sensations down there like I'm about it start within hours (hot insides, passing air, bloating, distinct smell, sorry TMI haha) then it just goes away! 35 days later same thing! Only happens sometimes. Thats a symptom of menopause, not PCOS I don't think.

2 years ago, my prolactin was low, FSH high-normal, and testosterone high, (glucose normal). Took progestin to jumpstart period even though 17-hydroxyprogesterone was normal.

The doctor just went by the testosterone to confirm it was PCOS acting up. Now it's been two months without a natural period, and I'm wondering, should I bite the bullet and do another round of Provera?? Or should I just go to the doctor? They treat me like I'm overreacting and should take my meds...do I present a case here? Any experiences?

Thanks

Just a thought- when I went on Clomid, my RE said that we needed to treat my high testosterone or it could prevent ovulation (and of course any periods). Have you taken anything to try to bring it down?
    Gretchen, age 31, DH age 38
    4 Clomid cycles
    1. No O 2. w/IUI=BFN 3. w/trigger=BFN
    Surprise BFP on Metformin only cycle 8/10/2012, m/c 8/13/2012
    O'd again Metformin Only Sept 2012, BFN. Clomid cycle 4 O w/trigger & 2 mature follies= Baby girl born 6/28/2013!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

I was mis-diagnosed with PCOS for almost 6 years before I found out I had POF. My diagnosis came from an FSH reading of 100. Yes, you read that right. I had been given provera to induce a bleed and when the 2nd dose didn't work, my RE tested for it.
    I've heard that AMH is a better predictor than FSH, but definitely have a full battery done.
    Do you have an RE? I see you mentioned doctor, but wasn't sure if it was an OB/GYN or an RE.

I had it all... night sweats, fogginess, missed cycles (for a year or more).

As it stands, I haven't had my cycle since July 2012.
    Hidden Content
    Nikki (33)
    Hidden Content DH: Disney (37): DD (9)
    Hidden Content
    Diagnosed with POF: Jan-2012

Highest FSH Level - 16-Jan-12: 100
    22-Feb-13 - egg retrieval Hidden Content
    24-Feb-13 - transferred one 2d 4-cell embie
    11dpo - BFP!!!!!! Hidden Content ; 14dpo ~ 244; 16dpo~ 465; 23dpo ~3229; 28dpo ~ 10,907

Thanks

I often wonder the same thing. A lot of my symptoms are similar to yours. I developed night sweats the day i gave birth to my daughter. I was told it was normal postpartum issues and that it would resolve. It never did.

I did some extensive research on Premature Ovarian Failure and PCOS. The symptoms are identical. Many patients have been told they have PCOS when it is really POF and vice versa. From what I have read, it is almost impossible for some doctors to differentiate. That is what makes it more complicated.

I know plenty of women on this board are wondering the same thing. This question often pops up. A good friend of mine has POF. She was misdiagnosed with pcos. POF runs in her family. I believe many cysters have a valid point when wondering if a pcos diagnoses is accurate. A lot of women get a pcos diagnoses, then doctors refuse to look any further at other possible illnesses.
    Last edited by beauty1216; 03-14-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

While i cannot say whether or not you have POF, I can say that I had brain fog, dizziness, forgetfulness, and irregular periods that eventually turned into no periods. I have never had my hormones checked out thru blood tests. But I was diagnosed with PCOS after symptoms presented and an ultrasound showed numerous cycsts. For a whole year I googled everything I was feeling and it always came back with either ovarian failure, or PCOS. I was scared to death! Anyway, I started on MEtformin in December, and already have my cycles back. Above and beyond that, I have no brain fog, dizziness, or forgetfulness anymore. I had it so bad that it was affecting my daily activities and my job as well. I could slowly feel it tapering off the first couple of months, and now for an entire month I have felt NONE of those feelings. I'm not sure if docs prescribe Met if not TTC, and I was not IR so I am sure they would question it. But I would def consider it. It has totally brought me back to life

Thanks
    Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,757 Posts

I don't know that the symptoms are entirely identical, but I would ask for a full Day 3 hormone panel (after inducing) including AMH. Those will give you better ideas on ovarian reserve.
    Justine (33) Hidden Content DH (34)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "In truth, the art of baby making is not an art at all, nor even a science,
    but completely governed by the absolute nonsensical unknown that is at the heart of all existence here on earth and elsewhere." - Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by defygravity View Post
    I don't know that the symptoms are entirely identical, but I would ask for a full Day 3 hormone panel (after inducing) including AMH. Those will give you better ideas on ovarian reserve.
    I meant to say the symptoms are *almost identical. I don't want to mislead anyone, but the symptoms are so similar, both diseases are commonly misdiagnosed. I also agree that a 3 day hormone panel is needed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,843 Times in 1,299 Posts

The symptoms may be similar, but so are lots of hormone disorders. What will NOT be similar is the hormone panel. PCOS is usually marked by high LH and low or normal FSH. AMH will usually be high and so will anteral follicle counts. POF will have high FSH, low AMH, and low follicle counts. It is possible to have both, but more commonly women with PCOS have a very good response to meds because our ovaries are primed and ready, just been unable to release eggs on their own.
    Emily (36) & DH Kevin (37), married 10/24/10
    9/22/12 ECTOPIC pregnancy
    10/17 Clomid cycle, no response
    12/1 Higher dose clomid cycle - O, BFN
    1/3 Follistim cycle - OHSS, Chemical pregnancy
    2/11 Follistim cycle 2, lower dose - BFP 3/4! EDD 11/13/13
    3/6 beta 197, p4 33.6! 3/11 beta 1593!
    It's a BOY! Samuel Jacob born 11/2/13 at 38w3d
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content