Thanks

Default Hysteroscopy Experience

Hi Ladies,

I am getting so nervous about Hystroscopy . It is scheduled on Monday. My doctor suspected that i might have polyp as suggested in HSG ..he is not sure ..so to begin with it is going to be diagnostic hystroscopy and if they find it..they are going to remove it.. so it will operative..

My HSG test was not so bad.. but still i am getting nervous about this test. My doc told me that they will give me IV sedation so wont feel any cramp or pain.. I have experience with IV sedation at the time of wisdom tooth removal.. (i was sleeping whole time and did not feel a thing)..

But i am not sure if this time it is going to be same... Anybody have experience with Hysteroscopy ?

How bad it is? How long is the recovery time? And what kind of anesthesia did you use?
    Me 28 (PCOS and Hypothyroid) DH 34 (Normal)
    TTC # 1 since Jan 2012
    Jan 2012- Jan 2013 Unmonitored Clomid #50 mg, #100 mg, #150 mg- No ovulation
    Feb-2013- March 2013 HSG/ Hysteroscopy- Removed Polyp
    June 2013- July 2013- IUI #1,IUI#2 Follistim, Ovidrel - Both BFN
    Aug 2013- BCP break to dissolve cyst from last cycle.
    Sep 2013- Timed Intercourse- Follistim & Ovidrel- BFP on 9/19/2013. Beta 1 on 9/20- 256, Beta 2- 1238
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,757 Posts

I had one in 2011 to remove a uterine septum and a stray polyp. I went under IV sedation, I remember climbing on the table, feeling my arm go numb, asking the anesthesiologist if she turned the drip on, counting backward from 100 (I got to 98) and being lifted off the table and wheeled back to recovery. I felt nothing. Mild cramping that afternoon, was back to to work the next day (I have a desk job and work from home). I spotted for a day or two, very lightly, and took naproxen (prescription strength Aleve) for about 2 days. I don't think I needed it much after the first day and probably could have stopped then.
    Justine (33) Hidden Content DH (34)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "In truth, the art of baby making is not an art at all, nor even a science,
    but completely governed by the absolute nonsensical unknown that is at the heart of all existence here on earth and elsewhere." - Hidden Content Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to defygravity For This Useful Post:

ras09 (03-21-2013)

Thanks

Thank you so much for letting me know.. i can not tell you how much relieved i am now...

Hope it will be ok and i wont feel much..
    TTC # 1 since Jan 2012
    Sep 2013- Timed Intercourse- Follistim & Ovidrel- BFP on 9/19/2013. Beta 1 on 9/20- 256, Beta 2- 1238

Thanks

I had IV sedation with mine, with a very high dose according to my RE, and I was awake. I don't remember parts of it (like the local anaesthetic in my cervix) but I remember the polyp removal (I had two). It was excruciating. Luckily it only lasted a few minutes and then was over.
    Jenny (29) Hidden Content Chris (31)
    Baby Annalise Rosalie, born January 19, 2010 (Clomid baby) Hidden Content
    Baby Sienna Madelyn, born October 10, 2013 (IVF baby) Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Wow Jenny Im surprised you were awake...I never heard of that before. =( I think most places give you IV sedation where you wont know whats going on...there are several different kinds and some you ARE awake for but they have an amnesiac affect to it where you wont remember anything, I have had both kinds (knocked out and the amnesia one) and they feel the same bc in both cases you are unaware of whats goin on. I remember getting onto the surgery tables and they put a mask on me and I had to count from 100 and I only made it to like 98 or 97 lol.... then I remember waking up in recovery then being wheeled back to my room.... I got some gingerale took a sip, took a half hr nap got up asked if I could leave...I had to pee before they left me leave so I went to the bathroom drank the rest of my gingeral and was out the door... I work in a dental office so Im up and down and all over the building and I returned to work the next afternoon.. I did spot for almost 2 weeks but that's normal....mild cramps on and off for a few days but they were very very mild... it really is a simple procedure.... I guess I should add that mine was to remove polyps also
    ME (27) & DH (33) +
    DS (1 - born 6/12 on due date) & DD (born 1/14 @ 35wks 3days) =
    FAMILY COMPLETE!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Audi10 View Post
    Wow Jenny Im surprised you were awake...I never heard of that before. =( I think most places give you IV sedation where you wont know whats going on...there are several different kinds and some you ARE awake for but they have an amnesiac affect to it where you wont remember anything, I have had both kinds (knocked out and the amnesia one) and they feel the same bc in both cases you are unaware of whats goin on. I remember getting onto the surgery tables and they put a mask on me and I had to count from 100 and I only made it to like 98 or 97 lol.... then I remember waking up in recovery then being wheeled back to my room.... I got some gingerale took a sip, took a half hr nap got up asked if I could leave...I had to pee before they left me leave so I went to the bathroom drank the rest of my gingeral and was out the door... I work in a dental office so Im up and down and all over the building and I returned to work the next afternoon.. I did spot for almost 2 weeks but that's normal....mild cramps on and off for a few days but they were very very mild... it really is a simple procedure.... I guess I should add that mine was to remove polyps also
    Yep, the whole time. I was so nervous and I remember talking so much my RE got annoyed with me LOL. It's actually common to not fall asleep and have some memory of the procedure. I looked into it a LOT before my IVF cycle because I was so terrified of the egg retrieval part and wasn't sure if I should pay the extra $650 for a general anaesthetic. After my hysteroscopy and polyp removal I opted for a GA during my ER and am so glad I did! That was more like an IV sedation that I had with my wisdom teeth removal, where you're out completely but don't require a breathing tube. Maybe that's what everyone else gets? An IV sedation is a conscious one so you should be awake, maybe just not remembering it. Anyway, mine was awful for a couple minutes but no big deal afterwards. Minor spotting and cramping.
    Jenny (29) Hidden Content Chris (31)
    Baby Annalise Rosalie, born January 19, 2010 (Clomid baby) Hidden Content
    Baby Sienna Madelyn, born October 10, 2013 (IVF baby) Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,757 Posts

I wonder if it was the particular anesthetic they used, or just your body's metabolism. I'm sorry you were awake, that sucks. It was one of the best naps I've ever had. I'm thinking I got propofol but I can't be sure. I know that's what I got for my D&C.
    Justine (33) Hidden Content DH (34)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "In truth, the art of baby making is not an art at all, nor even a science,
    but completely governed by the absolute nonsensical unknown that is at the heart of all existence here on earth and elsewhere." - Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

I had one this year, about 2 months ago. I went under full anesthesia and everything. However, the surgery was only about a half hour and he removed 2 polyps. Piece of cake. I was off for 4 days from work, but that is just my doctor's orders. I felt like I could of went back in a couple days. No pain at all.

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to update that. I did my hysteroscopy today under IV sedation. I was not awake during procedure. All i got up straight in recovery room.

I was out in 10 sec. while my doctor was asking my fav vacation spot. Later, Nurse told me that doc removed one polyp.

My doctor did not come and explain me what he did and the finding of the procedure. Although he told me before the procedure that he will tell the finding after procedure so that is weird.

Should doctor come and explain this? I had light bleeding and cramping. They gave me pain killer with juice before i left the office so i was fine rest of the day.
    TTC # 1 since Jan 2012