Thanks

Smile Starting Metformin - What to expect?

I thought I'd post this thread on the new message board as I'd really like some help!

I'm due to start taking Metformin sometime this week (as soon as my doctor receives the letter from my endo asking her to prescribe it!)

I was just wondering what I could expect. I've read the stories about more frequent trips to the toilet (!), but I was wondering how soon I could expect to feel better with the metformin. Will I stop craving carbs? I'm hoping it will help me to lose weight or at least take the edge of the cravings away to make it easier for me to change my eating habits.

Anyhelp from my cysters on metformin would be gratefully received!

Sue
    xxx
    If you lose hope, you lose everything.

Married my DH 7th June 2003

Thanks

Default metformin..

Hi Sue,
    I have been on metformin for 4 months now. At first I had diarreaha all the time. Now I only have it if I eat and drink dairy products. I don't crave carbs as bad now and I lost 6lbs in 3 months without exercising. Now i'm excersicing. So hopefully it will come off faster now. If you have anymore questions feel free to e-mail me directly at tera7@swbell.net
    Hope to hear from you soon.

Tera
    tera7@swbell.net
    terac22@yahoo.com -(yahoo messenger)

Thanks

Wink

Hi Sue!

I've been on Metformin 1000 mg for 3.5 weeks now and have only had the poops 5 times. I still don't know what all they hype is about diahreah, I'm CONSTIPATED!

I can say that the 1st day I took Met, I noticed a difference in the way I felt. I felt better, happier and more energetic. The only thing is that my tummy feels funny like diahreah cramping, but then just gas comes out.

I have lost 13 lbs in less than 3 weeks on Metformin. I have also been low carbing. If I eat too many carbs or sugar, that is when the diahreah kicks in. I guess that's why I'm so constipated. I need more fiber I suppose.

You won't stop craving carbs from Met, but like I said, when you suffer ill effects from eating carbs, you tend to shy away from them. Soon carbs remind you of the terrible stomach cramps, so it's a good incentive to stay away from them.

Oh, I also started AF 12 days after starting Met. Yipee!

Take care and Good luck with the Met!
    Bee
    Me:39 DH:40
    Lillian Grace: conceived after 3 yrs TTC, Met, Lap & HSG, & Male Factor
    Reese Edward: conceived Au Naturale
    11/17/09 Preventative cerclage (failed), 1/6/10 Repeat cerclage, 1/25/10 On bedrest
    7/13/10 Tubal Ligation~~No more babies, I can't hold them in and don't want to risk another tiny life =(

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

met did not agree with me. my endo pulled me off of it.. it you get sick to your stomach CALL THE DOCTOR!!!
    Tracy
    Mike
    Zachary born Aug 28, 2003

Thanks

Wink

I have been taking glucophage for 2 months now I started with 500mg daily for one month and then 1000mg when i was 500mg I did'nt get stomache upset only when I ate alot of carbs like pizza than I would throw up and had diahrea (bad speller sorry) but when I started on the 1000mg per day I had the runs for about a week thats all, now I feel fine as long as I don't to many carbs, oh and I have lost 16 pounds.

Rosi
    ------------------
    37 dh 43
    married 17 years
    2 girls ages 4 and 9
    dx 4-18-02
    glucophage 1500mg
    Lotensin 10mg
    aspirin 81mg
    prometrium for a/f 1st to 12th month

Thanks

Talking Met

I started Met just less than 4 weeks ago, I started week 1 with 500mg- had some loose stools, not much. Week two, I took 1000mg- once again, not much of a problem- week three & four I am up to 1500mg. I no longer feel muddled in my brain! I feel NORMAL, I didn't expirience any PMS or mood swings this month. It is amazing. I also, was not diagnosed with IR, but my new Endo was willing to perscribed it. My old Endo had out & out refused , saying I could have a reverse reaction to it and become Hypoglycemic- however, I even read the Metformin insert and it clearly says this is not the case! Any how, I am having a fine time on it and VERY happy. I have more energy, I can concentrate- it feels great.
    KR
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Christian Robert John Randall, Delivered 4-16-2003 @11:19PM 5Lbs. 13oz.

Thanks

Cool

well for me when I take met I usually do a modified carb diet and exercise. for about 3 to four days I have loose stools but then after that I'm usually ok. my doctor also advised me to take vitamin b6 and b12 with the met to ease the nausea. it helps me out a lot although I'm not completely relieved of the nausea. just my 2 cents.

msvon

Last edited by msvon; 05-21-2002 at 12:20 AM.

Thanks

Question B12

Perhaps that is why I never experienced nausea, as I have been on b12 supplements for about 2.5 months now, 1.5 prior to starting Met? Good to know!
    KR
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Christian Robert John Randall, Delivered 4-16-2003 @11:19PM 5Lbs. 13oz.

Thanks

I have been on met for 3 weeks now (1500 mg) and started off slowly- 1/2 a pill at night for 4 days, then whole pill at night for 4 days, then added 1/2 a pill in am, and have worked up to the full 1500 mg today. The first 3 days I had stinky gas (sorry-tmi) and my poor dh was a little concerned this would be permanent!! As was I! But ever since then I have been fine. No probs eating carbs,I have probably jinxed myself now but I have been fine. I haven't lost any wait yet but I am still waiting!!