Thanks

Unhappy TSH only .015 - Help

I'm so confused and worried about my thyroid. It was 4 after my 1st m/c and I was put on 100mg synthroid. I got pr right away and afterwards had TSH of .25. But then about a month later, my RE lowered my meds to 25 mg synthroid about 3 weeks ago and I m/c around that same time again. Now, 2 weeks after the m/c and about 3-4 weeks on the lower dose, my TSH is only 0.015. I feel like I have a fever all the time (but i don't) and am now wondering if the hyper thyroidism could have played any role in my 2nd m/c. I'm also really confused about why it got so out of whack when I went to a much lower dose. Can anyone help shed some light on this? Thanks so much.
    me (42) DH (44)
    Prenatals, BA, synthroid, B6, B12, Magnesium, vit E, Calcium plus Vit D, vit C
    3 m/c's - 11/5/02, 2/28/03 (Henry), 12/17/03
    Liam born 2/28/05 and Aubrey born 9/5/2007
    Still BFing 2 yr old but ready to wean!
    Having strange new perimenopause symptoms

Thanks

First of all, I am very sorry about your two miscarriages. My heart goes out to you, and I hope you start to feel better soon!

It was 4 after my 1st m/c and I was put on 100mg synthroid.
    The current normal range is 0.3 to 3.04, so you were a bit hypo.

My first thought is that perhaps 100 mcg was way too high. For example, my TSH was 112, I weigh over 250 pounds and my starting dose was 150 mcg. Now that I am pregnant, I alternate 150 with 175. Usually (actually, I thought it was fact) the pregnancy hypo woman will need more Synthroid.

I got pr right away and afterwards had TSH of .25. But then about a month later, my RE lowered my meds to 25 mg synthroid about 3 weeks ago and I m/c around that same time again.
    When you think about these dosages and TSHs, remember that it can take 6-8 weeks for the full effect of the hormone in your system. Adjusting meds or getting pregnant, or miscarrying will have an effect, but it may not be immediate. In the month since the .25, you were still taking 100 mcg, right? Then, your doctor cut your dose.... has it been 6-8 weeks since the cut in dose, if not, it's possible your TSH could go lower still.

am now wondering if the hyper thyroidism could have played any role in my 2nd m/c.
    Absoutetly, http://infertility.about.com/library.../blthyroid.htm

I'm also really confused about why it got so out of whack when I went to a much lower dose. Can anyone help shed some light on this? Thanks so much.
    I don't know your history, again I wonder if you were you hypo to begin with, or is it possible that it was that a pg symptom? Pregnancy can cause wacky TSHs, so if this was right after your m/c, it's hard to tell if 4 was your average TSH (and if 100 mcg was an appropriate dose).

Do you know what your TSH was before you got pg? If your un preg body (at least 6-8 weeks since m/c) is in normal ranges, that 100 (or any amount of Synthroid) could throw you into hyper range. Now that you aren't pg, your TSH is down again?

I don't know if any of that helped, and fear I've just babbled. The two things that struck me the most is that 100 mcg sounds a little high, and that your body needs lots of time to adjust to any TSH changes (due drugs, pg, or m/c).

HTH!
    ~~~ Linda ~~~

Ana 5.6.02 - Baby Girl due 11.14.03

Auto-immune Thyroid Disease - 200 mcg Synthroid
    PCOS - not taking anything, while pregnant

Thanks

thanks so much for all your help with this, bananasmom. I think you are right that the 100 dose was too high for me, and that the m/c has also affected things. Since posting this, my TSH level got even worse (now it's .005!). I am hoping that it will normalize over the next few weeks and if not, I'll have to take something to address the issue at least temporarily.
    me (42) DH (44)

Thanks

Louie, are you off the medication yet? You should be, until your TSH levels out.

PCOS+IR, Hypothyroidism
    Sleep Apnea (cured by tonsillectomy)
    30-Something Mommy of 2
    Logan Scott born April 9, 2004!
    Conor James born Nov 1, 2006.

Hidden Content   Hidden Content

Thanks

Shenacat, yes, I stopped taking it about two weeks ago. Hopefully things will calm down soon. thanks!
    me (42) DH (44)

Thanks

Louie, did they tell you what your T3 and T4 levels were? Even though your TSH was super-low, the actual hormones levels may not have been too far off. My endo has me super-suppressed with Synthroid (TSH similar to yours), but my T3 and T4 levels are normal. Still, in your case, it's good they got you off it.

As for the miscarriage connection, my endo told me that it is much better to be hyperthyroid than hypothyroid during early pregnancy (although both, in extremes, can cause miscarriage). If you were truly hyperthyroid (T3 and T4 high, in addition to TSH being low), I doubt it would have affected the pregnancy. That's just my completely unprofessional opinion, of course.

I'm sorry for everything you're having to go through. I hope it all gets sorted out soon.
    Aidan 5, Quinn, 2.5

Hidden Content

Two sweet boys!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Conceived twice by IVF/ICSI/AH, one fresh, one frozen

Doula and natural birthing instructor

Thanks

Thanks Jessica... Interesting that your TSH level is so low with normal T3 and T4. I guess it is different for everyone.

I finally had a T3/T4 taken on April 11th and T3 was 180 and T4 was 13. TSH at this time was .005. One week later, at a different lab, TSH was .007, T3 was 184 and T4 was just within the normal range at 10.9. So the T3 is still higher than normal (170). I'm supposed to see another endo and ask if it's ok to ttc now. In the meantime, I have to decide whether to ttc this cycle if I get O. I think it's probably ok, but have heard that there may be a link to chromosomal problems. I don't know... I think I'll post the question in a new post here in case anyone has some insight on this.

I have a feeling that what I had was too much medication while I was pr followed by a postpartum thyroiditis after the m/c. I really hope it wasn't the thyroid that caused the m/c but I am concerned that it may have been because the baby had tachycardia (heart rate close to 200bpm) and I had a low grade fever just days before the heart stopped. This could also have been an infection, but severe hyperthyroidism can also cause these same symptoms I've heard. Anyhow, I will probably never know for sure, but I'm sure glad that I have a new RE now.
    me (42) DH (44)

Thanks

Louie,

For future reference whenever you post lab results for T3 and T4, please post lab reference ranges along with those numbers or we won't know how to interpret them. I can't really make a judgement on how hyper you are until I see how far above range you are.

I am still interested in finding out if they took you off the synthroid during your hyper period, or lowered your dose, or something. You haven't made that clear. It is the obvious solution, but sometimes doctors can be glaringly idiotic about thyroid issues.

PCOS+IR, Hypothyroidism
    30-Something Mommy of 2

Thanks

Shenacat, I did already answer your question about going off the meds (see post above on April 4) but if you mean when exactly they took me off... it was in my opinion a little too late. Here's the whole long history for the heck of it:

*On 12/19, approximately 6 weeks after my 1st m/c, my TSH was 4.2 (with normal range up to 4, but "ideal" for ttc being less than 2.5) so I was put on 100 synthroid.
    *On 1/4, 2 weeks later, I O'd and got pr again.
    *On 1/21, I had a + beta and TSH was .25 (normal starts at .5). I called and pointed out that it was a bit hyper and asked if I should lower meds. The RNs checked with RE and called back saying to stay on the same dosage. Not knowing anything about thyroid at that time, I assumed they knew better than me. I can't imagine why RE didn't lower meds at that time.
    *On 2/6, 2 weeks later, we had a very good u/s showing h/b of 120 and a nice large sac etc. I had developed a painful vaginal irritation that I assumed was a yeast infection or a reaction to the progesterone suppositories. I asked RE about it and they did not test me for anything and just told me to keep taking the progesterone.
    *During the week of 2/16-2/20, I ran out of my synthroid and called in a new prescription. When I got it from the pharmacy, it was only 25, not 100 as before. I never got an explanation as to why or when a decision was made to lower my meds but it was strange because I had not had a TSH test since 1/21 when they had refused to lower meds. I think they had made a mistake which they then corrected, but too late.
    *On 2/21, I started running a low grade fever which I thought was because of a headcold. I told RE who did nothing but tell me to see PCP. I went to PCP for antibiotics and took tylenol to control the fever. I now suspect that the fever may have been extreme hyperthyroidism or infection from the vaginal irritation I was having (maybe strep b?)
    *On 2/24, we went for 2nd u/s and the sac was small and baby had tachycardia (h/b was 200 bpm). They never even tested my TSH at that time.
    *On 2/28, 4 days later, the sac looked better but the h/b stopped. I was supposed to have a TSH done at that time, but I was too distraught and had to go right home.
    *On 3/8, I had a natural m/c.
    *On 3/20, TSH was .015. I stopped taking the 25 synthroid on my own.
    *On 4/3, TSH was undetectable (less than .005)
    *On 4/11, TSH was .005, T3 was 180 (normal to 170) and T4 was 13 (normal up to 11).
    *On 4/16, TSH was .007, T3 was 184 and T4 was 10.9 (within normal range up to 11) RE called and told me to stop taking synthroid (which I had already done on 3/20).
    me (42) DH (44)

Thanks

Your t3 and t4 levels are not *that* high. With a TSH like that, your body is simply trying to put the brakes on the process and it looks like it's doing OK. TSH itself is never the issue... that's just the hormone that tells your body to produce thyroid hormones. The t3 and t4 is where it's at. And yours have only been slightly high. I think your body is responding well to this and yes you were right to go off the meds, I feel your numbers will continue to drop as long as you continue in the same trend.

Just keep going in for your appts to test, and lets see if I'm right!

PCOS+IR, Hypothyroidism
    30-Something Mommy of 2

Thanks

I think you're right, shenacat. Things seem to be improving. I have a feeling that the levels peaked much higher when I was feeling hot and trembly but didn't get t3/t4 tested at that point. I am still hoping that this was not what caused the m/c, because it makes me feel so mad that it might have been prevented. :o
    me (42) DH (44)