Thanks

Angry why does metformin work better with clomid?

Could i ask a question, I have been on metformin for a while and it does not seem to work as it suppose to , but some cysters keep on saying that the metformin and clomid combo seems to work better.: i would like to know why does it work better
    together??

i really need some advice because i am going crazy because i don't understand why is metformin taking so long to work?

my last af i got on metformin alone was the 19 february with 500mgx3 a day. since my doc increased the metformin to 850x3mg a day it feels like it is taking for ever

please, please cysters! i in need some usefull advice on this situation it's driving me bananas. thanks amalia::

Thanks

I think when people say the met/clomid combo works better, they mean that the clomid works better because of the met and not the other way around.

Jennifer

Thanks

Smile

thanks for the reply, i am just wondering why does clomid work better with metformin and not alone? i always asked myself that question it is a real mystery to me thanks: amalia

Thanks

Here are 2 study results:

1:
    The relative unresponsiveness of women with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) to ovulation induction with clomiphene led the authors to hypothesize that the reduction of insulin secretion by metformin would increase the ovulatory response to clomiphene.

http://www.ivf-et.com/clommetf.html

=====================================
    2:
    [Diagnosis and treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome].]
    Gandar R, Spizzo M, Collin D

Obesity, ultrasonic ovarian morphology, serum LH levels and LH/FSH ratio are inconstant symptoms of the polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and are thus no longer essential for diagnosis. PCOS is diagnosed today by the finding of chronic anovulation and hyperandrogenism characterized by a high serum level of "free" testoterone. The other causes of hyperandrogenism, as well as anovulations due to hyperprolactinemia, high levels of FSH and abnormal thyroid function have to be ruled out. PCOS is very often associated with insulin resistance (IR) and hyperinsulinemia (hyper I). From in vitro and vivo studies and treatment of hyper I, it has been shown that the hyper I of PCOS stimulates androgen production. Hyper I of PCOS increases the activity of androgens: by first provoking an important decrease of the sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) thus increasing the "free", bioactive testosterone level. and then by activating the cytochrome P 450 c 17 alpha enzymatic system that controls androgen production. Subsequent to metformin administration, the reduction of hyper I and androgen serum levels creates a favorable condition for the resumption of ovarian function and clomiphene citrate action. This explains the high percentage of ovulations and pregnancies.

Thanks

Wink

thanks a lot oana for all the information, i guess my doc the next time i see him he needs to put me on provera to induce my af and then finally i could start with the metformin and clomid combo

i really hope it works , i hope i ovulate with the combo.

i would like to know any cysters out there that got pregnant with the metformin and clomid combo any success stories will be very usefull thanks amalia

Thanks

I am in the same boat - I am CD 28 and waiting for my AF to start Clomid.

I actually read an article that discussed whether or not AF induction was necessary for Clomid therapy. The RE that wrote this article answered that in practice, yes, but in theory no. The induction of AF is for two fold reason -
    1. To insure that there is not a pregnancy.
    2. To help assist any subsequent implantation by having the endometrial lining receptive to implantation.

This Dr. stated that as long as a pregnancy is completely ruled out - Clomid could be started at any time during an annovulatory cycle.

(Doesn't necessarily mean I am going to do it, but it was an interesting view point)

Christi
    • Me - 31, DH - 30
    • DS #1 10/96; DS #2 10/03
    • Dx'ed PCOS & IR 11/01 & Syndrome X

Thanks

Talking

thanks for the info , do you know were i can get the articles that the dr wrote for clomid working maybe without af it sounds very intereretsing to read thanks.

amalia

Thanks

Default Not sure yet....

Well, I can't tell you if the combo has worked yet or not cause I'm on it currently.

I can tell you that after taking Gluco for 8 months I had AF but never ovulated once!

Now that I am taking the Clomid (on my second day) I'll be able to see if I ovulate like Clomid is supposed to make you do.

I have heard that the combo is the best also. A friend of mine is only taking Clomid so it kinda sucks that she is on her 7th round and still not pg. I always wonder if she took Gluc if she'd have become pregnant any faster. Guess we'll see what happens!

Great topic, thanks!!

Thanks

Default your welcome!

torie i guess we are all in the same shoes, but you are lucky you already started it. so please let me know if you do ovulate that would be great news! so i will keep my fingers crossed like that we will both have hope. deal!

lots of baby dust torie and i hope we will, become present very soon!

Thanks

oups! pregnant very soon!

Thanks

We will BOTH be pg very soon! Thanks for your thoughts I appreciate them, I too, hope I ovulate this month, it would be awesome! I got everything I can crossed!!

PS

Did you know you can edit your post? I just saw that you fixed the word pregnant in your previous post, by posting a new post. If you go to the bottom of your post you'll see a button that says edit. Just click it and then fix your mistake, it's MUCH faster!!!

Take Care!!

Thanks

Here is the link for the clomid/AF article -

http://www.wdxcyber.com/ninfer10.htm

Good luck!

Christi
    • Me - 31, DH - 30
    • DS #1 10/96; DS #2 10/03
    • Dx'ed PCOS & IR 11/01 & Syndrome X

Thanks

Amalia,

I am on the met/clomid combo this cycle. I have been taking 1500mg of glucophage XR and 150mg of clomid. My progesterone results were low this time so I am assuming that I did not "O" so I guess I will increase to 200mg of clomid next time. I am currently on CD28. To answer your question I believe by taking glucophage you capture the enemy insulin by the tail. My body produces too much insulin which has caused a chain reaction increased steriods in the body>ovaries>cysts>high testosterone>no "O" So your ovaries bascially toughen up and the glucophage helps break down the defense line or coating and that knocks the testosterone in the head! Basically it brings your ovaries alive again to start working like they are suppose to and in some women glucophage is all it takes. However, clomid can work better if the ovaries are in better condition or at least that is how I understand it. Hope this helps and I wish you luck.

God Bless,
    suzie