Thanks

Question Vitex and Provera

Hi there,

I would like to know if it would be okay to take both Vitex and provera at the same time.

I would like to get my cycle with a real ovulation for once!

Thanks,
    Kyriaki
    DS: Anastasios born Sept. 22, 2003
    DD: Alexandra Dimitra born June 10, 2005

Became a widow on October 23, 2005.

Diagnosed with PCOS: 1993 but I was never told the name (I was told that I had sluggish ovaries)

Thanks

If you want to supplement with progesterone, I'd suggest natural progesterone cream over Provera, since it has no side effects and you dnn't need a prescription.

I've heard some people say you shouldn't take anything hormonal with Vitex, as Vitex is trying to normalize your pituitary function and external hormones are trying to override it, so they're working a bit at cross-purposes, but I've also known a lot of people who were taking Vitex and used the progesterone cream to support their luteal phase, so it certainly can be tried to see if it would work for you.

- Erin
    - Erin
    38 yo, diagnosed at 23
    5 yrs bcp
    3 yrs infertility treatments, clomid, IUI, IVFs
    mom to twin girls from IVF
    and one all-natural baby!
    after 9 mos. of Vitex, lo-carb diet, GTF chromium, inositol

Now doing lo-carb diet, buckwheat farinetta (for DCI), and when I remember to, vitex, gtf chromium, NAC, l-carntitine. And yes, it's working.

Thanks

Default When is the Luteal Phase?

I am sorry but I am not family as to what and when is the luteal phase?

Can someone please let me know.

Sorry for the stupid question.

Kyriaki
    The Greek Canadian tired of doctor's BS!
    DS: Anastasios born Sept. 22, 2003
    DD: Alexandra Dimitra born June 10, 2005

Became a widow on October 23, 2005.

Diagnosed with PCOS: 1993 but I was never told the name (I was told that I had sluggish ovaries)

Thanks

The luteal phase is the part of your cycle that is post-ovulation (assuming you ovulate ;-) . It should last from 12-16 days; anything shorter than that indicates a luteal phase defect. The luteal phase is called that because after ovulation, the sac that held your egg hangs around - it's called the corpus luteum - and pumps out progesterone until it dies, and the drop in progesterone brings on your period. If you get pregnant it hangs around even longer and makes enough progesterone to keep you pg until the placenta takes over at about 3 mos.

If your corpus luteum isn't up to the job, you can use natural progesterone cream (or synthetic progesterone like provera that has more side effects) to support your luteal phase and make it long enough for a fertilized egg to implant and begin a pregnancy. Otherwise, even if you ovulate and your egg is fertilized, it won't go on to become a sucessful pregnancy.

Good books to read to learn about all this are Toni Weschler's "Taking Charge of Your Fertillity" for an in-depth explanation of how your body works, and there's a book by a Dr. Lee called "What your doctor doesn't tell you about menopause" or something similar, that has explanations of how to use natural progesterone cream, so it's good even if you're pre-menopausal but have other hormonal issues like PCO.

HTH
    - Erin
    38 yo, diagnosed at 23
    5 yrs bcp
    3 yrs infertility treatments, clomid, IUI, IVFs
    mom to twin girls from IVF
    and one all-natural baby!
    after 9 mos. of Vitex, lo-carb diet, GTF chromium, inositol

Now doing lo-carb diet, buckwheat farinetta (for DCI), and when I remember to, vitex, gtf chromium, NAC, l-carntitine. And yes, it's working.