Thanks

Default itchy bug bites on ankles???

I have a question for you ladies (and guys too, if you're reading this...). For the past 6-7 years, every summer, I get an EXTREMELY large amount of what I have been thinking are bug bites. I mean, a VERY large amount of bites: at any given time between May and September, I have anywhere from 60-120 bites. The majority of them are concentrated on my ankles, feet and around my waist and my butt, where the underwear line is. I've had that many, that I have tiny scars all over my ankles and calves.

I go through benadryl and bug repellent like you wouldn't believe. The past few years, I've been using those citronella (SP?) bands, that you put on your wrists or ankles. I work on a farm, and I used to always think that that's where I got the majority of the bites and it seemed like the bands helped, but I've still gotten loads of them, even with the bands.

Now, this morning when I woke up, I was getting ready to go to work and I found what I think was a flea on my arm. We have two dogs and two cats. Only one dog is outside some of the time and we've treated all four critters for fleas (but I realize that they still probably have some.).

Now, all that said, does anybody think that all these "bug bites" could be fleas, or something? I think it is very probable, but, I'm the only one (out of 4 people in the house, all of whom play with the animals and everything) who gets this many bites every summer.

Another thing I had heard of was bed-mites. I mean, I change my bed every other week, but is this a possibility? And again, why only me? (My brother doesn't change his sheets nearly as much as me!!!)

Any thoughts (or ideas about how to help relieve the itch!!!) would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks !!
    XOXO
    Tara

chest pain/shortness of breath since 16 (24 now)
    irregular periods since 13/no periods withough BCP
    official PCOS diagnosis August 2002
    general & pulmonary hypertension
    sleep apnea
    MEDS:
    1000mg glucophage (IR)
    240mg Tiazac (BP)
    160mg Diovan (BP)
    Yasmin
    UPPP 11/16- hopefully this will work!

Hidden Content
    "For once you have tasted flight, you walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been and there you long to return."

Thanks

I would guess fleas. My vet said it takes 4 months to completely rid your house of them if you treat your animals every 30 days with something like Advantage. It worked for us. I scrubbed the whole house, sprayed everywhere and gave the cats a bath. Then I found more! If you keep using the 30 day meds it will get rid of them. Our cats NEVER went outside so it is possible to get them even if your pets are inside pets.

As for only you getting the bites, I'm the same way. My dh never gets bit, by mosquitoes or anything. It makes me mad! lol Your body is probably just more sensitive to the bite. I get mosquito bites as big as silver dollars! I can be outside for 5 minutes and come in with a gazillion bites!

I would try the flea meds on your pets. It's not too expensive, except when you have a lot of pets, and it is well worth it. I'm hoping for you that it's not fleas! Have you checked in their fur? Sometimes you can spot the flea itself or some "flea dirt".

Wow! I wrote a book! Obviously, I'm not an expert. I hope you figure it out!

Maggie
    me-26, DH-32, DD, Sadee-8yrs
    dx-4-3-03
    Met-1500mg IR Diet
    TTC#2
    225/206/200
    then/now/1st goal
    WOW! 2 O's in a row!
    Saw RE 9-11-03
    Starting Clomid 9-15
    U/S CD15 to check for follies, then trigger and IUI planned.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

It definitely sounds like it could be fleas. Do the bites tend to take a long time to go away? When I still lived at home we went through a similar thing where some of us (not me, luckily!) kept getting bites from *something*, and the sores would take a long time to go away and sometimes leave scars. We eventually started finding fleas on the pets and put it all together.

A couple of things we learned:

Your best bet is to get the flea treatment you can buy at the vet's office. We found with the over the counter stuff you can buy in stores, even if we kept treating them every month or whatever, they still had fleas. The OTC stuff just isn't strong enough to get rid of them.

Obviously, if you have more than one animal in the house they can pass fleas back and forth between them. We had three cats and a dog and they all had fleas, but the dog is the only one who goes outside. Our vet recommended that we give each animal one course of flea treatment (I think it was one dose a month for 3-4 months). Then, if the cats seemed flea-free, we could stop treating them, but continue to treat the dog because she goes outside where she could pick them up again and pass them to the other animals in the house again.

And as Maggie said, as you're treating them, it will help to clean their bedding/sleeping areas and use a pet-friendly bug spray around the house. And especially if you have cats, you have to think about where your cats spend a lot of their time. If they sleep in bed with you as some of ours did, make sure you thoroughly clean your bedding. I know you said you wash your sheets every week or whatever, but you may want to vacuum your mattress and around your bed too.

Good luck! I know what a hassle it can be trying to get rid of them.
    Last edited by snoopy24; 07-07-2003 at 12:34 PM.
    Beth, 29
    Single Hidden Content

Thanks

Sounds like chigger bites. Chiggers most often bite ankles and where cothes constrict you. I used to get eaten up when I went to girl scout camp as a child. People who live in the suburbs don't have to worry about them, but being that you are on a farm, I would bet chiggers are your culprit.

We used to have to take a sock filled with some sort of sulfar powder and dust our ankles and clothes with it. They itch like the devil and look similar to flea bites. Just thinking about them makes me itch. I would research on the internet about how to repel chiggers. Sorry if I wasn't much help.

Rebecca

Thanks

Try this link for more info on chiggers:

http://www.skinsite.com/info_chiggers.htm

Rebecca

Thanks

Eeeew! That chigger stuff is nasty! Mosquitos are bad enough for me; I have the worst allergic reactions. I think that's a big part of it: not just where the bites are coming from, but the individual reactions. It sounds to me like there are a number of possible culprits to your bites. You may be particularly allergic to whatever it is that's biting you. Have you considered going to an allergist? They may be able to help you. Good luck.
    "I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge of our attitudes." (Charles Swindoll)