Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Drug "Acarbose" to treat PCOS? Anyone heard of this?

Acarbose is an unusual drug. It blocks the breakdown of some sugars, preventing them from being absorbed. This therefore lowers sugar levels and insulin levels. This has also been shown to lower testosterone levels. Side effects are abdominal distention, flatulence, and diarrhea due to bacteria in the colon feeding on the sugars. The drug is taken with the first bite of each meal. Starting dose is 25 mg for at least 4 weeks before considering increase of dose. Side effects are low at a dose of 50 mg or less. This drug has not been extensively studied in PCOS. It is seen as a second line drug at this time.
    This is the page where I found it...I've never heard of this drug...

kat

Thanks

I hadn't heard of this before so I did a quick search and found this interesting article. The author gives references to everything he says.

http://www.offshorepharmacy.net/ias-acarbose.htm

He even mentions using this in conjunction with Metformin to keep glucose and insulin from rising.

Here's a link to a government site about Acarbose aka Precose.

http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/diab...e/acarbose.htm

Just one more link to a presentation about PCOS and the treatment. Acarbose is mentioned as one of the drugs to use:

http://www.hmc.psu.edu/k30/archive/9...iles/legro.htm

This is the link to the beginning of the presentation:

http://www.hmc.psu.edu/k30/archive/9...iles/legro.htm
    Last edited by StaciM; 05-28-2002 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks

Acarbose is sold under the trade name Precose. Being a nurse, I gave my RE the third degree about all the oral diabetic medications, including Glucophage, Glucotrol, Avandia etc....

She told me the only one that was higly researched for PCOS was the Glucophage. She indicated that the only instance in which she would prescribe Precose is if she had a Type II PCOS patient who was taking the maximum dosage of Glucophage, but was still having difficulty with high blood sugars. She told me that where Glucophage would not cause a problem with blood sugars in a insulin resistant patient, the Precose could and often does cause reactive hypoglycemia.

I will see if I can find any other information also.

Char

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I found this in this:

In another study acarbose, a medication that slows the release of glucose from the gastrointestinal tract to the body, was given to patients with PCOS. After three months of treatment the patients with PCOS showed a significant reduction of hirsutism (male patterns of hair growth) and acne. The patients also experienced a lower release of insulin in response to a glucose challenge, a reduction in the levels of the androgen hormones testosterone and androstenedione, an increase in SHBG, and 8 of the 30 patients with PCOS began to have regular menstrual cycles.
    It's in this article: PCOS and "non-traditional" low carb diet

Thanks

Just wondering if there have been any new infomation on this drug......sounds interesting.....has anyone tried it yet!!
    Thanks

Thanks

I was recently prescribed acarbose by my doctor. I already take 2500 mg of Gluc XR and 45 mg of Actos. I have yet to start taking the medicaton for fear of the mixture of side effects. I can only imagine being confined to the restroom because of it. If anyone has any previous experience, I would love to hear from you. I will keep you all posted with my progress.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ME-23 y/o
    Diagnosed-Sept.2002
    2550 mg Glucophage
    45 mg Actos
    Excess hair, some acne, overweight

Thanks

i just heard of it today at work.... i am so happy btw bc a client was talking bout her daughter beign unable to have a baby for three years and the drs arent doing much and i gave her the name of this site i felt like i was doing a commercial but i was so happy to be spreading the news..she was really interested in what i take and then she told me bout her hubby that takes this drug for his diabetes..but it was under the precose name i think... wow..interesing....

scorpio are you ir or diabetic?? xo jenn
    jennifer, 33years old
    long island, new york
    dxd 2001
    searching for new therapies/meds for pcos
    met/gluc not working as well..but on 1000mgxr
    married on 9/28/06 to keith

Thanks

Here is the info I got from my Quick Look Drug Reference for work...

U.S./Canadian Brand Names
    PrandaseŽ (Can)
    PrecoseŽ
    Therapeutic Category
    Antidiabetic Agent, Oral
    Use
    Treatment of noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM); as monotherapy or in combination with a sulfonylurea when diet plus acarbose or a sulfonylurea does not result in adequate glycemic control; also used with insulin or metformin in patients with noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM)
    Usual Dosage
    Adults: Oral: Dosage must be individualized on the basis of effectiveness and tolerance while not exceeding the maximum recommended dose of 100 mg 3 times/day
    Initial dose: 25 mg 3 times/day with the first bite of each main meal
    Maintenance dose: Should be adjusted at 4- to 8-week intervals based on 1-hour postprandial glucose levels and tolerance. Dosage may be increased from 25 mg 3 times/day to 50 mg 3 times/day; some patients may benefit from increasing the dose to 100 mg 3 times/day; maintenance dose ranges: 50-100 mg 3 times/day.
    Maximum dose:
    ≤60 kg: 50 mg 3 times/day
    >60 kg: 100 mg 3 times/day
    Dosage Forms
    Tablet: 25 mg, 50 mg, 100 mg

Thanks

Default I am taking Glyset similar to Arbacose

My endo added another drug for me a few weeks back called Glyset which works in a similar way as Arbacose. I feel tremendously better with less fatigue. His theory is that sometimes the Glucophage stops working as well. Also, my sugars were going high after meals. (The reading he got was 157 and I am having a pretty good response to food again, which is what was happening and why I sought treatment to begin with). Although I don't feel "drunk" after meals anymore I severely limit my intake of food along with my intake of carbs, the biggest offender. Anyway, the gas is a definite side effect and my entire family says GROSS MOM!!!! It is pretty awful. I am hoping this will go away eventually. I am not having any trouble with low blood sugar with this drug either which I am thrilled about. I lowered my dose of Glucophage to 1000 mgs due to having low blood sugar issues at night especially. Just wanted to share what is working for me!

Blessings!

Candace
    Candace
    Age 38
    2 children 10 and 9 with treatment
    Married 18 years
    Glucophage XR 2000 mgs 3 years (Switched to Generic Metformin XR on Dec. 23 rd)
    Yasmin BCP 3 years
    Diagnosed at age 21 rediagnosed at 34 due to all symptoms.
    Normal weight, feeling great! 5'0 113 lbs
    Curves for Women 3 X a week

Thanks

Does anyone know if this causes liver enzymes to increase like Glucophage does in some patients?
    Melissa(26)/DH Troy (33)
    PCOS Dx 6/01
    Insulin Intolerance 9/02
    TTC - IVF (canceled - hyperstimulated), IVF (lost pregnancy at 3 weeks), FET (scheduled for 10/24/05)

Thanks

Default Re: I am taking Glyset similar to Arbacose

Originally posted by Candace
    My endo added another drug for me a few weeks back called Glyset which works in a similar way as Arbacose. I feel tremendously better with less fatigue. His theory is that sometimes the Glucophage stops working as well. Also, my sugars were going high after meals. (The reading he got was 157 and I am having a pretty good response to food again, which is what was happening and why I sought treatment to begin with). Although I don't feel "drunk" after meals anymore I severely limit my intake of food along with my intake of carbs, the biggest offender. Anyway, the gas is a definite side effect and my entire family says GROSS MOM!!!! It is pretty awful. I am hoping this will go away eventually. I am not having any trouble with low blood sugar with this drug either which I am thrilled about. I lowered my dose of Glucophage to 1000 mgs due to having low blood sugar issues at night especially. Just wanted to share what is working for me!

Blessings!

Candace
    Candace: I am curious. How have your side effects changed on the Precose. I just started and am dying with stomach pain. Want to know how long to expect the ses to last. Thanks
    Hidden Content
    • Brenda 39; DH Tyrone 44; DS Calvin Wade 8/29/02 (Met entire pg, 36w4d PROM); DS Nolan Luke 7/29/08 (Met entire Pg, 38w)
    • After 3 cancelled Clomid cycles, removal of R OV & Tube, followed by 6 Clomid/Ovidrel/IUIs, BFP
    • SILENT MC 2/16/07 11w2d
    • CHEM PG 5/24/07
    • Met (2550 mg); Synthroid 125mcg;Baby Asp; Vit D3 (1000 iu) daily; Vit D3 (50000U) weekly; Cymbalta

Thanks

Default Sorry to report!

I stopped this drug about three weeks ago due to the horrible gas side effects. I think the drug was really helping me but am unwilling to continue to blow everyone out of the house!!!!! IT WAS HORRIBLE! I haven't seen my endo again and will tell him why I chose to stop it on my own. What a miserable experience. THe gas never went away from December through March. I wish I give you better news! Blessings!

Candace
    Candace
    Age 38
    2 children 10 and 9 with treatment
    Married 18 years
    Glucophage XR 2000 mgs 3 years (Switched to Generic Metformin XR on Dec. 23 rd)
    Yasmin BCP 3 years
    Diagnosed at age 21 rediagnosed at 34 due to all symptoms.
    Normal weight, feeling great! 5'0 113 lbs
    Curves for Women 3 X a week

Thanks

I've been on Precose for 3 weeks and the gas is terrible. I was on Glyset before, but my insurance would not pay for it anymore because of it's newness, so we are trying Precose. I'm not diabetic.....I'm an extreme hypoglycemia and we are using the precose to prevent the extreme lows I was experiencing during the day. My doc was afraid I would not wake up one morning because my BS in the mornings were typically in the 60's, sometimes in the 50's.
    So far, it is helping.....the only lows I have is after swimming (I do laps for 30 minutes) but I'm learning what to eat before I go swimming. I am insulin resistant, just not diabetic.

I take Metformin - 500mg 1Xday
    Precose 25mg with breakfast and lunch
    Spiro - 50 mg day
    Ortho Novum 777 (not trying to conceive, my tubes are tied)

Thanks

That is interesting. I wonder how those with average testosterone and now IR or Diabetes (or sugar problems) fair with this drug.
    Me
    DSS 5/30/04 (always will be mine)

Baby Aspirin
    HSG 8/26/08 - right fimbria congested with hydrosalpinx
    Ectopic PG 4/23/08 (8 wks) Salpingectomy 4/23/08 (left)
    Dx PCOS 1993

Hidden Content

Hidden Content