Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3DS + 1DD = 1 CRAZY momma sugarbug's Avatar
    Thanks

Default OPK's used as HPT's (all questions answered)

I was doing some searching today, and ran across this article.. I have to say it's the best one I've ever read about using them as HPT's. So here ya go- I hope it helps!

A woman trying to conceive asked her doctor if she could use Ovulation Predictor Tests (OPK's) as Home Pregnancy Tests (HPT's). The reason for the question is that it is asked a lot on "trying to conceive" web sites. Many women will have an extra OPK after ovulating and may want to use it as an HPT. Here is what the doctor said.

The chemical make-up of LH (LH is the hormone that triggers the release of the egg and is very high prior to ovulation and causes a positive result on an OPK), is one thread short of being hCG (HCG is produced by the placenta during prenancy and it is what HPT's look for). That is why you will not get a + hpt if you are having your LH surge, but you will get a + OPK if you are pregnant, that one thread that is in the hCG, but missing from the LH is what makes the hpt work.

But on the other hand, he did say that an OPK is probably the most sensitive hpt you can buy. He said that there are two ways to use it.

1. Using it daily and if your test line gets darker then you are most probably pregnant

2. Use it once (yeah right ), and if your test line is as dark as or darker than the referance line then you are pregnant.

He said that the only bad things about using the OPK are that

1. The OPK will pick up a + hCG before the doctor's office test but about two days after a beta test would pick it up (detecting 10mIU of hCG being between 7dpo - 9dpo ~ according to the average impant of 5-7 days), so if you are waiting to take a urine test at the doc's office, you would still have to wait.

2. It detects pregnancy so early that it will detect chemical pregnancy and early m/c pregnancy

3. Cannot be used reliably by PCOS patients if they have a high LH (as most do)

And.....somebody else says:

Way back when, as a grad student, I used to assay cortisol (stress associated hormone) in urine/plasma/saliva, and I can tell you that the amount you can get from a saliva sample is the toughest to detect - just not a whole lot in there and the pH and digestive enzymes present are a nightmare issue for most people developing new assays that use saliva . . . saliva is what most labs would like to use since it is the easiest to get a sample of . . . a fellow student used to use unused cigarette filters for folks to chew on to get as much saliva as possible - they then had to centrifuge the filters to spin out all the saliva in to a tube to get as much as they could . . .

OPKs don't have the same quality control that HPTs have. LH and HCG share very similar sequence/shape and HPTs contain antibodies that can only detect HCG; but OPKs usually aren't that clean (since they don't have to be) and typically pick-up some HCG in addition to LH.

After my m/c my doc said I could monitor my own HCG levels (dropping) with OPKs since they were cheaper than HPTs and it worked!

Here's the results of one of the many women who tried to use saliva on an HPT. She got a positive with her urine (left) and an even fainter, but still there, positive with her saliva (right). Here here for women conducting laymen scientific experiments!
    -you will have to click on the source to see the comparison pics- http://www.thewisemother.com/OPK'sasHPT's.html

Good luck Lot's of baby dust ~*~*~*~*~*
    BUG

Thanks

bump
    April (40) ~ Travis (36) Married 3/17/01
    m/c Jan 04 @ 6w3d
    Conner Lee born 9/22/05 via c-section
    7lb 13oz 19.5 in

Hidden Content

Thanks

Talking Cool

thanks for sharing that with us BUG

Love Lynn xxxxxxxxxxxx
    Hidden Content LYNN & DAZ Hidden Content
    we have given up trying for a baby, after years of putting our life on hold and focusing on nothing else we now have our lives back and we are happy again.

Proud auntie and uncle Hannah 8 years Hidden Content jack 5 yearsHidden Content

Thanks

Really interesting and it makes sense. Thanks for sharing. It's a hell of a lot cheaper to buy OPK than HPT.

thanks
    Paula

Thanks

Thanks this helps clear a lot up... its a very common question around here... at least it seems to be in spurts... now we can just direct them all to this post!
    TTC #1 for 12 years. Beginning first IVF Cycle 2/2013

Thanks

Interesting, I read another article that said OPKs are not as sensitive as HPTs and would only pick up a preg only after an HCG of 60 or more which is about 15dpo....If I can find that info I will post it.
    Exodus 23:25 You shall serve the LORD your God, and I will bless your bread and your water; and I will take sickness away from the midst of you. 26 None shall miscarry her young or be barren in your land; I will fulfil the number of your days.

Thanks

Hey guys,

My twin sister is pregnant and so I asked if she would pee on a stick for me...lol...I had her use an OPK from saveontests.com and it turned soooo positive! I've never seen an OPK be positive, I'm keeping it for my own use to see if I ever get a positive.

It really does work!
    Me-32 DH-33
    DS-5 DD-3

Thanks

Thanks for sharing that Bug!
    You know I'm gonna be stocking up on more OPK's now
    me-34, DH-39
    DD Kylie Samantha born 12/09/98 5lbs 17 1/4 inches
    DD Kamryn Grace born 07/30/04 5lbs 12.6oz 18 inches
    2 Angel babies 8/11/97 & 1/2/98
    dx Hoshimoto's Thyroiditis 11/91, dx LPD 12/97, dx PCOS 08/02

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I want to Bump this up for FYI. Now I trully understand why I have to take a HTP ASAP.

Hidden Content
    ttc since 1999
    1 stillbirth 12/2004 at 30 weeks
    Weight Loss
    10/2005 size 14
    10/2006 size 8
    2/2007 size 6/8

Organic, whole foods, gut healing diet and excercise

No medications and Metformin resistant
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Wow - thanks for posting this! Things make much more sense now. At the beginning of last week I was all excited because I finally got a +OPK. I showed it to DH and snuggled up (if you get my drift - LOL!). Then a day of two later I did a HPT and got a + (don't ask me why I was testing so soon after - this whole TTC thing made me a little loopy - or maybe it was intution, who knows?).

Anyhow, long story short, I got a +HPT and thought it was a fluke 'cause I had JUST O'd right? After about a zillion more +HPTs, it started to sink in that I might really be pg and just chalked the +OPK up to a fluke. Now it all makes SENSE! Good to know I'm not nuts!

Blessings,

MG

Thanks

That's awesome MG!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

BUG

Thanks

How interesting.

Carla I don't know how I missed your good news!!!! Congratulations. I hope you have a wonderful healthy pg. Keep us posted.
    Trish Heidler Hidden Content
    38 DH Dennis 41
    Married 16 years
    overweight
    TTC for 16 years
    Diagnoised (officially) 8/2001

Got the all clear from my HSG test on 12/10/2003 Hidden Content
    2WW- January 29, 2004 - BFN
    February 23, 2004 - Uterin bi-opsy (normal) Hidden Content
    September 2004 - IUI #1 - BFN
    October 13 2004 - IUI #2

I have stopped ttc. Dh and I are ready to move on with our lives together. Wishing all the best of luck in ttc. Hidden Content

Mamma to John and Sydney MichelleJ's Avatar
    Thanks

Bump!

I am 10dpo and took an opk for an hpt. I had an HCG shot also. The line came up fast, really fast and very dark. I'm trying to be positive and not get excited just yet. I am saving my hpt for Monday.
    me (41) DH (41)

John @ birth 5.3lbs 18in / 1yr 18.8lbs 29in / 2yr 23lbs 34in / 3yr 27lbs 37in / 4yrs 31lbs 38in
    Sydney @ birth 4.12.6lbs 19in / 1yr 18.14lbs 29.5in / 2yr 25.5lbs 35in / 3yr 30.5lbs 38in / 4yr 38lbs 40in

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Bump

Thanks

Default Re: OPK's used as HPT's (all questions answered)

The chemical make-up of LH (LH is the hormone that triggers the release of the egg and is very high prior to ovulation and causes a positive result on an OPK), is one thread short of being hCG (HCG is produced by the placenta during prenancy and it is what HPT's look for). That is why you will not get a + hpt if you are having your LH surge, but you will get a + OPK if you are pregnant, that one thread that is in the hCG, but missing from the LH is what makes the hpt work.
    I was just wondering about this. Last cycle I used an HPT on CD15 (don't ask me why, I am out of control with my POAS urges sometimes :o ) and it came out positive. Now, I knew I wasn't pregnant, but the test definitely said so, it was two dark lines. So can HPT's be used as OPK's or did I get a freak false positive? Not that it matters, I am just VERY, VERY curious! BTW, according to my chart I did O on cd 15 (and I did get pg, but it didn't stick). Anyone have any thoughts about this?