Thanks

Question HcG shot - what size does the egg have to be

Just a small bit about myself - My husband and I had been TTC since Sept 02', I was diagnosed with PCOS in Jan 03. The first month on Clomid 50mg in February produced a nice 20mm egg, I took the HCG shot and we got pregnant! However it only lasted 10 weeks, as I was lightly spotting and we checked the ultrasound to see the heart beating. The 2nd ultrasound there was no heart beat. I miscarried on May 1st.

Since the miscarriage, we're back to trying again. My first cycle in June at day 14 the egg was only 16mm, my doc said to wait 4 days (avg growth 1mm/day) and have fun. No sucess. Plus she said at 16mm, the HCG shot should not be used, cause it's not ripe.

My second cycle day 12 I"m at 17mm. DAy 15 I'm at an estimated 18.5. I say estimated cause when the doc did the measuring it was 17mm in one direction and 20mm in the other direction and he says that you're supposed to take the average of the two = 18.5 I asked if the HCG shot was an option, at first he said no, it should be at 20mm. I was disappointed. I don't think the insurance is going to pay for a 3rd ultrasound in the same cycle. He said if I wanted it I could have it. So I did.

Now I'm wondering.....should I have. I mean did I do the wrong thing, at an estimated 18.5mm ?

I know I"m desperate to get pregnant (I'm epileptic and been off my meds for 15mo's now with no seizures but it's only a matter or time before they come back, and there are no safe epileptic drugs for pregnancies. So Yes, I want to get pregnant & soon)

has anyone else had the shot at a smaller than 20mm size egg?

Thanks

i usually get HCG shot at 18mm.

Thanks

Smile Thanks

Thanks. I was beginning to think that I made the wrong decision and that I wasted my opportunity for this month. Thanks for replying, I feel a lot better now and will keep my fingers crossed.

ERica

Thanks

Hi ladies,

I just had a question about when you are getting your HCG shots? ( what day in your cycle) I ask because I had shots of pregnyl about 7 years ago and I don't remember the dose or the days in the cycle. We had since moved on because we weren't able to get PG. Now I have a son who is 14 and a daughter who is 4. Both adopted and the joy of my life. However back in April we became PG on our own and extremely shocked!!!! I lost it about 6 weeks gestation and we would love to try again. Hubby and I were discussing our "fertility treatment" days and just trying to refresh our memory....LOL.
    We beleive the pregnancy occured because along with PCOS we discoverd I am a type 2 diabetic and the doctor put me on 2000 mg glucophage. The gyno. said the glucophage is "undoing" the damage of PCOS and causing me to ovulate. So now we are tracking everything to see how well I ovulate before we go further.
    Anyway,thanks for you time and good luck to all.
    Tina
    [http://circles2.fertilityfriend.com/home/28a54]

Thanks

Default trying again

Tina
    There has been a ton of mixed reviews on whether or not to be on glucophage when pregnant. My doctor took me off immediately when she found out that I was pregnant (day 30).
    Other people have told me that times are changing and think it would be better to stay on. I"m scared & confused and wonder if it would have prevented the miscarriage had I stayed on.

Glucophage,(metaformin) as my doctor said would regulate me again, so that maybe my cycles would go back to normal and hormones would balance out, over the course of several months. But of course I wasn't just going to wait to be regular to have a child. That's why my doc had me on the Clomid(fertility drug) and when we saw a "ripe" follicle, I was able to take the HCG shot. Now I guess from the others comments above that doctors have different opinions on what "ripe" is in size. Cause my doc wanted 20mm and said come back and we'll do another US. The other doc said it was now at 18.5 and he'd like 20, but I could take the shot if desired. To me the shot is more of my guarantee.......not necessarily that I get pregnant but that I ovulate. 7 days after ovulation I get a blood test showing my progesterone level. Anything over a 5 means you ovulated. Last month I was 6.3, this month I was 7.2.............which to me sounds successful, however my doc said since we're using Clomid (fertility drug), my level should be at least 10 or more. Which confuses me, did I ovulate or not? It was over 5. So for the third month we're increasing my Clomid. It was so nice & easy in February of this year................it was the first time using Clomid, I had a 20mm follicle, took the shot, Bang I was pregnant. However that only lasted 10 weeks. That was a major disappointment and I'm scared that will happen again, as the past few months she keeps telling me my progesterone is too low. It was 16.5 (13 days after ovulation when I was pregnant), and she said that was too low to be pregnant, so I had to take the Progesterone suppositories every day when I was pregnant. So since I lost the baby, I kind of wonder if it was cause of my low progesterone. Of course everyone would like the answer to why a miscarriage happend, but most of us will never know.

Thanks

Default Trying

Hello to all who have gone through with the shots
    My name is Jill and I am 27. I have been TTC since Oct 2002......dx with PCOS in Jan 2003. Tried clomid, met and all that .. did not work.
    On sept 10th I am going to take provera to induce a period... then on the 12th I am going to a class to be able to give myself some injections at home. Then will be scheduled for an US and see if they are going to give me the HCG to induce ovualtion and then hope to get pregnant.

I am confused.. you all are saying that you are taking clomid and then gettting the shot... If someone understand what I am going to be doing and can better explain it to me that would be very helpful

Thanks again in advance

JILL

Thanks

Wink Response to Jill

Jill
    Sounds like your doc may have not explained things too much.

The Clomid (in my doctor's Opinion) was the first option to try. You take the Clomid on day 3-5 (or specified by doc) and it promotes ovulation. Now somewhere between day 12-14 my doc had me come in for an ultrasound to see how the Clomid worked. By that they were looking to see how big & how many eggs had matured. Being polycystic, I saw multiple eggs on the screen and got a bit scared but my doc explained to me, they're all small (10-12mm) and there's so many cause your polycystic. They need to be 18mm-20mm to be useful for that cycle.

Now back in March when I got pregnant the first time, I went in and there was one egg at 20mm. That was a ripe egg, but there's no exact determination on when it will actually release (1-5 days???). So my doc said I had two options, go home and take those ovulation tests every morning and then you'll see when it's going to release. (those tests tell you 24-36hrs in advacnce)............or take the HcG shot.

When asking about the HCg shot, she told me it was a guarantee that it would release within the next 24hours. There's no guarantee that you'll get pregnant, but a guarantee that you'll ovulate (of course this is based on the fact that we saw a ripe egg on the ultrasound). So I opted for the Hcg shot. And I got pregnant. Unfortunately I lost the baby at 10 weeks.

After the miscarriage, my first cycle I couldn't use the Hcg shot cause when I came in on day 13 for the ultrasound , there was an egg but it was only 16mm, so she said you need it bigger before taking the shot. So she said, use the ovulation tests or estimate about 3-4 days. Well that didnt' work. It was like shooting at a blind target.

Next month(July) we went in again, and once again it was 17mm, no shot. Instead of guessing again, she scheduled me for a repeat ultrasound. I came in a few days later and it was 18.5 and the doc said it was ok for a shot although he'd rather it be larger, but it was ok. This is what I had my debate/chats about.......has anyone gotten the shot less than 20mm and many have said yes.

A little more info.............after having the shot and supposedly ovuating, 7 days later, which would be like around day 21, I have to get my progesterone level checked (blood test). This happens every month (clomid-ultrasound-?possible Hcgshot- progesterone level check). From my progesterone level, anything over a 5 means you ovulated, however due to the fact that I'm taking meds to ovulate my doc said it should be at least 10. With that she increased the Clomid from 50mg to 100mg. This past month she said I was at 7.3 Still lower than what she'd like, so she was going to increase my Clomid for next month to 150mg......................however we just discovered that we're pregnant. A bit worried cause my progesterone is very low. There really is no exact level to say that you're pregnant but the fact that I"m under 10 causes a little worry. So I'm on the progesterone suppositories(yuck) until the 2nd trimester.

Now I heard that using Clomid is really an option until you've tried it for at least 6 months(cycles). After that they think it's pointless.........option B would be injectable hormones, which I think is what you're talking about. Luckily I didn't have to go to option B, but you really should talk with your doctor about using the Clomid and using the HcG shot if you see a ripe egg(18mm>).

Hope that explains a bit for you (hope I didn't go overboard)

Thanks

Default Thanks

Jean":
    Thank you very much for that indepth decription. I appreciate your time and effort into writing that for me. Things are a lot clearer right now.
    I was taking climid for about 4-5 months and up to 150mg with no luck at all ovulating except for 1 month which the doctor believed that it may have been a fluke thing.
    I was going to take provera on the 10th of Sept... meet with a nurse on the 12 and learn about the hormone injections taht i would do at home and then get the HcG shot with doing the ultrasounds.to try and get pregnant... however I guess that I now have screwed things up because I got a period today spontaneously. That is 2 in 3 months.... no clomid involved..Just metformin.. so I think that i will try and call the doctor on Monday....well Tuesday and see if i should take the clomid.... day 5-9 150mg and then when i go on the 12th it will be cycle day 14 and see what the deal is.

Do you have any suggetions? I did not know that they could give you the shot with taking the clomid..... I think that may be a viable option this month and if that does not work then go to the injections at home and then the injection at the office and wait and see

what I will say is congratulations on the LITTLE BUN in the oven.. you must be thrilled. I cannot wait till I can announce that same news. I have to say that you have been the most helpful since I joined cysters a month ago.

talk with you soon
    my own e-mail is jlarockpt@aol.com