Thanks

Question Help! Period woes, low-carb diet

I've been on a low-carb diet for about seven weeks and feel 1000 times better on it than I did on a regular diet (severe insulin resistance). My first period while doing low-carb was normal, maybe a bit lighter. Note, I take 1500 mg Glucophage XR per day, Aldactone, and just finished a pack of Zovia birth control pills. I'm 25, weigh 127 lbs, and prior to Glucophage and Aldactone, had severe periods, severe reactive hypoglycemia, and quite a lot of other PCOS symptoms.

Here is my problem:

I had the symptoms of starting my period, bloating, fatigue, cramps, mood swings. But I didn't really have a period. Not to be too graphic, but I didn't bleed at all more than the lightest possible spotting (I mean I couldn't tell I was bleeding). It has been two days since cramps and other symptoms stopped.

What is going on with me? Should I be really concerned?

Thanks

could you be pg?
    jennifer, 33years old
    long island, new york
    dxd 2001
    searching for new therapies/meds for pcos
    met/gluc not working as well..but on 1000mgxr
    married on 9/28/06 to keith

Thanks

Shazzer --

Don't worry. Something like this happened to me a couple of years ago: I was on BCP and got majorly into soy (I don't take soy anymore), and my periods dwindled down to almost nothing. I figured it was the hormonal effect of the soy. You are probably changing your hormonal profile by low carbing (which is good). I looked up aldactone and one of the side-effects is amenorrhea (presumably in women with normal cycles), so if you are normalizing your hormones with your diet, you may need less of your meds (or even none). I would get blood tests of your hormone levels (maybe after another cycle) and check with your doctor to see what's up.

Simone

Thanks

I should have mentioned in my first post that there is no way I could be pregnant.

I'll wait and see what happens next month with the period. I just find it so weird that I felt all the symptoms without the period itself. Having PCOS, I've had wacko periods since puberty. But I've never had anything like this happen to me before.

Thanks

Question no period while on the pill

That's so strange! I was just about to ask the very same question. I've been on Demulen (which is the same thing as Zovia) since 1996 and for the first time when I was supposed to get my period (during the 7 day break)....no period came. Not even a little brown spotting or anything.

I, too, have been eating a lot more soy and heard that Japanese women have very low breast & reproductive problems because of the soy they consume. So maybe there is a link? I just assumed that there should always been some sort of withdrawal bleed during the 7 day break while on the pill.

I'm also on Aldactone but have been on this for seven years and never experienced this before...not even when I was a vegan!

I'm not going back on Demulen until I have to (i.e. start to break out and sprout hair all over) but I'm staying on the Aldactone. It will be interesting to see if I get a period next month on its own. Aren't hormones crazy?

Thanks

Exclamation Hi

I came off the pill 4 years ago due to high blood pressure and cos of my PCOS i never had a period, not even a spot !! This was a pain cos i had to keep doing preg tests every couple of months to see if i was pg or not (tho i knew i wouldnt be). This went on for 4 years until i started having arthritis probs in my hands. My doc then put me on Prempak C which cos of hormones does help with pain in hands. For the first 3 months i had a period then for the next 3 months no bleed at all !!Then last month i had a light bleed so this month is gonna be interesting lol . Stay safe
    PCOS dx 1996
    Diabetes dx 2002
    Hi BP dx 2002
    Asthma & Arthritis