Thanks

Default Cysts on your scalp?

I guess this started when I was in elementary school with one or two bumps on my head that never would go away. I ended up having one removed then and another two when in high school. This was totally embarressing because they have to shave portions of your hair to do the surgery. The thing is, no one can tell me what is causing them. One dr. said that it was clogged pores or something like that. Well, I don't know how to unclog them or what I'm doing wrong because I wash my hair daily.

Right now, I have probably five and I usually hate to have people wash or massage my head. I get really paranoid about it. I would love to have the rest of them removed but I worry about them shaving my head and how I'm ALREADY having problems with thinning hair so that wouldn't help my self esteem much.

Has anyone else had these or know how to treat or prevent?
    Me (27), dh (29)
    Fuzzy babies: Oscar& Fritz
    ttc: May 2002
    dx: PCOS officially 6/16/03
    3 cycles: provera/clomid/met combo - bust
    Bcp and 1500 mg met. while dh deployed 5/04-11/04
    u/s 11/8 - approval to start letrazole 11/9-11/13
    u/s 11/17 - 2.3cm follicle on right side!
    12/5 +++++ hpt!!!

Supportive Cyster heather090702's Avatar
    Thanks

I have about 5 or 6 on my scalp right now. My Dr. said it is very normal, especially since I am prone to cysts. They are generally not painful, but they do itch sometimes. He said I should get them removed if they were very irritating or got larger than pea-size. He did mention having to shave my head...but only slightly. I have an amazing dr, but he also could not say why they were on my scalp.

Thanks

At least I know that I'm not the only one that has this. Any time I got the courage to ask about it, I felt like they were pointing the finger at me and saying it was a hygene issue which is DEFINITELY not the case.

On a side note, my mom has had 2-4 (I think she has had one or two removed) but hers didn't happen until the last 10 years. I really do wonder if it is hormone related.
    Me (27), dh (29)
    12/5 +++++ hpt!!!

Mod of Diet and Exercise! Maddy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have had this too! I had a cyst which grew to be about the size of half a table tennis ball before I had it cut out (I kept putting it off). Surprisingly enough they didn't have to shave my hair and it was not a tenth as bad as I thought it was going to be.

There is still a little pea shaped cyst on my head now, I am hoping that that will not grow back!! Aren't they sebacious cysts? I think because my hormones make my hair greasy and that blocks the pores .....???? BUT I also think cysts are genetic; my sister had one on her head removed and she also had one on her kneecap. My brother has one on his pancreas which was diagnosed as an ulcer for many years before they realised!
    I finally have healthy ovaries free of cysts!
    Starting a personal walking challenge for charity - 300 miles in 35 days! August - September Hidden Content

have one son, two beautiful grandsons

Low-Carbin' Soul Cyster JillyBug's Avatar
    Thanks

I have these. I have 4 on my head right now. I have been to a Dr who told me it was a cyst and was a genetic disorder (I get cysts in other places also ) But my Grandma had them and my mother has them also. I had 2 lanced and they didn't shave my hair. One went away and the other one is still there. Doc told me not to worry about them unless they started hurting. They don't bother me at all. I get my hair done about every 3 months and my hair dresser tells me they are quite common.
    JillyBug
    Age 38
    350/175/150
    175 pounds gone!
    Atkins since 03/02
    PCOS since 1978
    Diagnosed in 1985
    Low-Carb Has Helped my Symptoms!!

Thanks

Now I'm wondering why in the world they chose to shave sections of my head to lance them. Did you go to a dermatologist, neurologist or a general practisioner? I think when I was younger a dermatologist did it but then when I went in a second time a neurologist had to do it for some reason. I wonder if it was the type of dr...
    Me (27), dh (29)
    12/5 +++++ hpt!!!

Low-Carbin' Soul Cyster JillyBug's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry if this is graphic.... He was an MD. First he numbed the cysts and then took a scalpel and cut them. One drained on it's own and went away and the other one he said was "honeycombed" in there because it had been there so long. I assume that one would have to actually be cut out if I choose to remove it. The strange thing is that there isn't alot of hair where the cyst is. Hair growth has thinned out in that area, but I part my hair on the side so the rest of my hair covers it. It's not that I have a bald spot or anything, my hair is just thinner there.
    JillyBug
    Age 38
    350/175/150
    175 pounds gone!
    Atkins since 03/02
    PCOS since 1978
    Diagnosed in 1985
    Low-Carb Has Helped my Symptoms!!

Thanks

i get them, too. so do a lot of women in my family.

they grow until they have to be cut out, which is pretty unpleasant. they don't hurt or anything, but they can get pretty huge. for me, it can get to 'jughead' proportions.

right now, i have one in the same spot where another was removed. the last time i had one out, i needed stitches and couldn't wash my hair for a week. eesh.
    zel. married dh in nov. 2000. ds born per c-section on april 1st, 2005. 2 cats.

dx: pcos/hyperandrogenism in june 2001; symptoms since forever
    sx: anovulation, amenorrhea, acne, anxiety, hypoglycemia