Thanks

Question Questions about capsules/ and Vitex, Dong Quai, Black Cohosh

I purchased a bottle of Black Cohosh plus that contains 40 mg of Black Cohosh and a hundred mg each of Dong Quai and Vitex. It's in capsules, and I never took capsulated herbs before. My question is how do you know when the capsules are bad? One book I had said they're odor won't be distinct. How strong should the odor be? So how do you tell when you should use or pitch them?

And another thing- How long does it take before you start to notice whether or not the herbs are doing their job. I'm taking these herbs to bring about ole' red. The problem is I never have a period. So how can I tell if these pills are affecting me adversely? So just to sum it up- How long did it take before you started noticing any difference?

Starting over Cyster surfergirl1970's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi Smeggle!

I have no idea how to tell if my capsules are bad. What a great question!! My vitex is in it's own capsule so I don't know about your combination capsule. It took me 3 weeks to see that the Vitex was working but only a couple days to see that the Saw Palmetto was working. I was also taking Don Quai and a B12 combination tablet but stopped after 1 week due to adverse effects. I'm also taking other stuff and still don't know if it's working or not. From what I know about Vitrex, it's supposed to help your body ovulate and that hasn't happened for me yet - I only got AF - a week early, still no O, but it was the most "normal" AF I've had in YEARS. Hopefully it'll eventually make me O on my own. That would be a first.

From what I've read, it can take several months for some women to see if the herbs are working or not. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones to have had a quick response with some herbs. Good luck & I hope the herbs work for you!!

Merry
    Me 36
    Currently DH-less and lovin' it LOL
    DX PCOS, IR 7/2002
    Daily vitamin pack
    11/13/07 Started Metformin 1,000 mg

Hidden Content :

TTC #1 for 9 years then DH left me in 2004 for another man. IUI 1,2, & 3 Failed

Hidden Content

Thanks

Like Merry I too take Vitex in a singular capsule. I don't take any of the other herbs you mentioned but would have, had Vitex not changed anything. I saw the results of Vitex after a day of taking it! Got AF the very next day after its absence for over a year! I was over the moon of course but my doctor tried to say Vitex wasn't the reason. Meh, I don't believe her! LOL.

Oh and about the capsules going bad. Mine start looking different. They get clumpy dark bits and clear gaps on the inside. When oil capsules go bad they go softer than usual. Its very rare vitamins have a chance to go bad tho so don't concern yourself about it much.

Finding out whether a vitamins affecting you adversely is simply trial and error. In fact its more a personal evaluation of whether its doing anything or not rather than whether its hurting you. Personally, I don't know of any herb or vitamin that is damaging unless you take it in large doses. Theres no particular period you should give a supplement either coz everyones so different.

Hope this supplement you've got works for you tho Smeggle. Good luck
    Pounding through the Hidden Content
    START 20****15*Hidden Content **10****5****0 (lbs) FINISH!

Thanks

Smile Thanks for the replies

I noticed a drastic loss in appetite, but i don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing for me. Yesterday I could only eat an apple and some chicken. But I can't tell if I'm getting sick or if it's the herbs. I've been only taking them for a few days. I'm going to wait another week, and if I'm not feeling that great, I think I'm going to try something else. That is the great thing though about running your own treatment regime, you can discontinue and pick up whenever. Plus it's safer than regular meds in terms that it would take allot more to harm you. Not that I'm going to chance it! I also think the reason I'm losing my appetite is because I'm taking the capsules before I eat, perhaps if I do them after like it says, I wouldn't have so much trouble.