Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Belly Button Infection

I assume that this problem is from being overweight, and
    my belly button being "inside" my stomach roll, but every once in a while I get an "infection" in side of my Belly button. The skin turns an angry red, and sometimes there is like a creamy "discharge" or fluid inside it...
    Is this like a yeast infection? Does anyone else get this?
    I usually just fill it up with baby powder for several days and it clears up. Any other ideas?
    Thanks in advance...
    Brenda R. age 37
    DH age 47
    Met 2000 mg/day
    Overweight, NO periods, THIN hair, depression, IR, LOTS of facial hair, etc...
    No Babies.....only in my dreams

Joining the June Challenge! (1/12/04)
    257.5/232/180

35****30****25****20****15****Hidden Content ****5****Goal!

Thanks

Oh my gosh Brenda I was just showing my friend at work my belly button! I put corn starch in it! LOL I never got it til i had laproscopic surgery and they cut it though. I feel like mines from not rinsing the soap out of my belly button well enough. I also notice it has a definite funny smell. BUT I also get the same type of thing in the crease of my hip/thigh area if i wear the wrong panties and they rub in that crease. It gets majorly angry red looking and has the same funky smell and some funky discharge. OK way TMI and just nasty lol. Anyways ive used cortisone cream also and it helps too!

Tammy
    Tammy-32 Hidden Content Ryan-36
    Married May 10, 2008
    RNY GBS August 10, 2004-330/151/165
    Below my goal and officially no longer overweight!
    Look for me on the WLS Divas thread!

Thanks

Do you normally dry your belly button after showers? Maybe just the moisture and soap residue is irritating it. I try to q-tip mine every few days.
    I've been off these boards for a while, and have come back because we're TTC.
    No meds, went off BCP July 2010. Just using acupuncture and herbs to get things back on track.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply Tammy...at least I know I'm not alone in WHATEVER this might be...I've thought the same about rinsing, but I've been real vigilant at it lately, and am back in the same boat again....
    Brenda R. age 37
    DH age 47
    Met 2000 mg/day

257.5/232/180

Thanks

Definately use a q-tip! I got one of those button rashes once and it was the most aggrivating feeling. Since then I make sure I wash and rinse and then make sure its completely dry with a q-tip or a cotton ball.

Have you tried cleaning it out with hydrogen peroxide? maybe something with an anti-bacterial agent in it. Whats that other stuff called.. umm.. Bactine!

Thanks

Thumbs up

I absolutely guarantee this will work!!!! First clean you belly button with a wash cloth and water. Then wet a q-tip and wash inside your belly button. Next, dip a new q-tip in peroxide and clean inside the belly button. Wait 2-3 minutes and let the peroxide bubble. Take a clean wet qtip and clean again. Take a couple a dry ones and dry your belly button. Dont put your fingers in your belly button until it goes away!!! Do this 2 times a day till your all cleared up. It takes about 3 days. Now after every shower for the rest of you life dry you belly button with a q tip and that should stop it from coming back. It is a type of topical yeast infection. And it is highly contagious. Dont touch your belly button and then touch your face, privates or eyes. Wash your hands. And after your shower and you dry your private areas dont then take the towel and dry your belly button with it. I hope this helps!!! If the peroxide ever doesnt work then you need something like Nystatin cream from your MD.

Nett
    Diagnosed w/ PCOS 1995
    Clomid for 4 rounds.
    Adopted 1 child
    Too many miscarriages. (over 5)
    3/17/04: Spironolactone, zoloft, Vaniqa, and Ortho-Novum1/35
    Waiting to be on Metformin as soon as ultrasound is back. YEA!!!
    Diet: Did Atkins and lost 100 lbs.
    Now want to try IR diet and lose 50 more pounds.
    Have every symptom except acne!!

Thanks

Default Had one a few years ago

I had one because I think I was cleaning my belly button too much or too hard.

Anyway, I tried powder, antibacterial cream, everything I could think of! Finally, I went to the dr. for a bad cold and mentioned the belly button. He ended up using silver iodide (I think that's what it's called) to kind of cauterize it. It burned some as he applied it, but it healed quickly, and I've not had the same problem return!

Thanks

Here is another thread about this from last year:

http://www.soulcysters.net/showthrea...ton+infections

Linda
    dx pcos 1984, type II diabetes 2001, also hypertension
    Met 2000mg since 2001, started Glucophage XR 4/22/04, then switched to Met ER 6/04; also: multi, Vit. C, Vit. E, B12/folic acid combo, fish oil & borage oil combo, garlic capsules, cinnamon, Vitex, calcium with magnesium/zinc, biotin, CoQ10, selenium,iron
    Other meds: Verapamil and Altace(for blood pressure)
    Started laser hair removal 7/29/03, completed 3/04 (it works!)
    UAE for fibroid 3/24/03 and 3/16/04

I'm a SoulCyster BABY!! didi830's Avatar
    Thanks

Default I have an answer

OK ladies...for a long time I was getting the belly button rash and also the same kind of rash where my belly overlaps my pubic area. I was treating it with powder, antibiotic creme and it never really healed. I started thinking about what exactly the rash was and started realizing that I have it because I am overweight and that part of my skin doesn't get enough air to it to remain dry. I started thinking that it sounded much like diaper rash and treated my belly button and other areas with diaper rash cream and I kid you not, by the next day it was 85 percent better. Now I never have that problem and my skin is all cleared up. Give it a shot...I promise it will work.
    "Your adversities can make you BITTER or they can make you BETTER"

~Joel Osteen~

Thanks

Thanks everyone for you input. You confirmed a lot of my suspicions, and it is SOOOO nice to know I'm not alone in this!
    You know, the drying it out well after showers makes sense, but
    keeping it dry during the day (due to being overweight) is difficult like DiDi said....I think I will give the diaper rash stuff a try next time it pops up (which hopefully it wont). I can't wait til my weight
    is down far enought I don't have to deal with this.
    Thanks again...
    Brenda R. age 37
    DH age 47
    Met 2000 mg/day

257.5/232/180

Thanks

I am also glad to know other people experience this. Sometimes mine gets infected and my belly button is really deep - so I do the same with a q-tip - peroxide, then alcohol, then dry, then antibacterial medication. It helps. I haven't had one in a while and the weirdest thing is that when I stick the q-tip in it makes me feel sick - like I can feel it in my stomach. Yuck!!!
    Jami - age 30
    diagnosed 08/02
    married
    Creative Cyster

Thanks

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I was going to post something a while ago, but I was too embarrassed. What you all are having is most likely a yeast infection on your skin. If the skin turns really red and has a funny-smelling discharge it's yeast. I get it in my belly button and where my tummy folds over. Here is my remedy:
    Antifungal foot powder!
    It really works. The creams don't work for me because they keep the area moist and more of the infection grows. But the powder keeps it dry so the medication can work. It usally clears up within a day or two.

Thanks

Hi Girls

I was so glad to find that there are others like myself. I have had this problem since I was a teenager, so my mom took me to the DR. and found out that before you are born that yo have two "tubes" running from the Umbilical cord inside your stomach attaching to the bowel and the bladder. When you are born these "tubes" are suppose to unattach themselves and basically dry up. But sometimes one or both of them stay put. That is where the drainage and the smell comes from depending on the smell you can usually tell which is still attached. THis sounds grose and horriable but my doctor assured me this would not cause any harm and that it would not effect having children. He advised me to clean it with antibacterial soap, and to make sure to dry extra well after shower, and as you guys have found out powder helps to absorb the wetness.

Hope this may help someone.
    Falynn,
    Talk to you soon!!

Thanks

Hi Girls

I was so glad to find that there are others like myself. I have had this problem since I was a teenager, so my mom took me to the DR. and found out that before you are born that yo have two "tubes" running from the Umbilical cord inside your stomach attaching to the bowel and the bladder. When you are born these "tubes" are suppose to unattach themselves and basically dry up. But sometimes one or both of them stay put. That is where the drainage and the smell comes from depending on the smell you can usually tell which is still attached. THis sounds grose and horriable but my doctor assured me this would not cause any harm and that it would not effect having children. He advised me to clean it with antibacterial soap, and to make sure to dry extra well after shower, and as you guys have found out powder helps to absorb the wetness.

Hope this may help someone.
    Falynn,
    Talk to you soon!!

Thanks

Huh? I dont get what you said falynn.. maybe Im reading it wrong.

The smell comes from the topical yeast infection ontop of the skin, it doesnt come from inside your body.. At least with my button, that sucker has been closed up for 31 years, theres nothing draining from it.