Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default What can help to loss less hair when you comb your hair after shower

Hi,

Just wondering any ideas what might help to make it easy to comb your hair after shower? I know it sounds silly. But I found out that every time I comb my hair after show, I pulled out some hair. Is there any live-in conditioner can help this? or do you dry your hair first, and then comb it?

Thanks in advance,
    Li

Thanks

Dear Li,
    I use a regular conditioner in the shower and then I use a spray on conditioner called - Nutress Hair stop break healthy hair enhancer. (There are several different brands that I've tried in the past that have helped. I get them at a beauty supply store.)
    It helps to detangle and adds shine. Also be very gentle with your hair especially when it is wet. I use my hairbrush or a very wide tooth comb and start at the ends of the hair.

Hope that helps!
    Take care,
    Inga

Thanks

I've read that you're not supposed to comb,brush wet hair because it's more likely to break the hair. I guess it would depend on your hair type, but if you have to, I would follow Inga's advice and use a wide tooth comb.
    Good luck,
    Kim

Thanks

I've found that using a wide tooth pick works well too-- I like it better than a wide tooth comb-
    ~Go confidently in the direction of your dreams and live the life you have imagined. -Thoreau

Thanks

Okay... this is what you do...

1. very carefully detangle hair BEFORE you get in shower... do this with a wide tooth comb... working from the bottom up.
    2. Once all the tangles are out.. this is the time for brushing.. brushing helps distribute oils to the ends which protects from breakage, and drying. Also.. the brushing stimulates your scalp, and strengthens the hair follicles so you have less fall out. You should be brushing everyday!! 'specially if you are having thinning hair.
    3. Now.. when you wash your hair.. DO NOT.. I repeat.. DO NOT scrub your hair, pile it on top of your head, etc... keep your hair straight down... work the shampoo through your scalp only.. let the suds run down the back.. every thing should be done as gently as possible.
    4. Condition the same way as you wash.. if your hair is really long.. start with putting the conditioner on your ends first...
    5. rinse the same way.. NO scrubbing, NO piling your hair on the top of head... try to keep it even down your back..

When you get out of the shower.. do not pile it in top of your head in a turban... do not scrub it dry. Simply wrap the towel around your hair, and gently pat dry.. ..

This will leave your hair virtually tangle free.. a wide tooth comb or pick will go through your hair like a hot knife through butter..

The other thing you can do for excess shedding is take 2000 mgs of MSM per day... GREAT supplement for hair loss...

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Hi, thank you all for your advice. They are all helpful. This thinning hair thing really borthers me and make me fell frustrated. I'm trying to do everything I can, but still see hair everywhere in my house. I'm taking NourishHair for 3 monthes, I saw some new growth, but still think my hair is thinning due to the loss of hair every day.

Li

Thanks

Originally posted by scarletakb

The other thing you can do for excess shedding is take 2000 mgs of MSM per day... GREAT supplement for hair loss...

Hope this helps!
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is MSM? Just wondering...someone told me to take Biotin so I've just started taking that.

Thanks

Just wanted to add another suggestion! I wash my hair as Scarlet recommends (only my scalp), then I put on my conditioner and let it sit while I wash my body and shave (it seems to detangle itself during this process), lastly I comb my hair with a wide tooth comb WHILE I'm rinsing it (I rinse with cold water which helps to reduce breakage). I then gently blot my hair with a towel to remove excess water and I follow up with Infusium 23 Leave-In Treatment.

This system has worked well for me and I've noticed that my hair seems quite a bit healthier, with a lot less breakage.
    Bekah, age 33
    DX: 1996
    DD: Lillian, age 9

Thanks

Great tips!

OK, I am like JaimeJenn and have to ask...what is MSM?

I find that for me, taking a bath, not a shower is gentler on my hair...just gently leaning back to wet and rinse seems to not pull out as much as the shower pelting down on it.

And YES...wide tooth combs and picks are the way to go! I learned that the hard way.

I am going to try scarletakb's suggestion of carefully detangling BEFORE washing...

Also, lily2002 I have been taking the NourishHair for about 3 months, too. It doesn't seem to be doing much, but it does seem to give me energy! (Good vitamins in there!) Let me know how it goes for you as time goes on...Will keep you posted, too!

lily2002 I am so glad you asked this question.

This hair loss thing is the worst symptom, I feel.

----------Kathryn
    Last edited by KlassicalKat; 07-01-2002 at 04:38 PM.
    I LOVE BICYCLING!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    (bicycle paintings by Taliah Lempert)

Thanks

Talking

Scarlet,

Where have you been all my life lol I tried your suggestions last night when I showered and I can't remember a time that my head felt so good!!! Got up this morning and my hair looked great!!!

Thanks so much for your womanly wisdom.

Debby

Thanks

Hi, yistersister

That's so cool that this worked for you...I will try, too.

Still waiting...about MSM supplement question....does anyone know what it is?

---KKat

Thanks

MSM is methylsulfonylmethane. It is suppose to be good for joints, skin, and hair. I remember reading a site about many MSM benefits but I don't remember them all. It is suppose to reduce the number of hairs shed/day. (Scarlet told me about MSM too!) Sabrina

Thanks

Oops... sorry everyone.. I forgot to check back on this post. otherwise I would have answered you about the MSM long ago. Sabrina is right about the MSM... it is great on joints! But also great on hair!

I discovered this because I had gone through a very traumatcic period in my life, and the enormous amount of stress caused me to lose half of my hair... It was soo thin that I had to only wear it on one particular style otherwise you could see all the bald spots on my head. I was reading on a long hair site that MSM could help.. and sure enough.. after about a week I noticed a major decrease in the amount of shedding.. and after a few months, I had tons of new growth.. all the stuff that had fallen out was now growing back in.

so, it has been a godsend....

Also, for hair loss.. don't forget to brush.. very gently, and/or do scalp massages.. you need to increase your blood flow to your hair folicals..

Thanks

Default Thanks Scarlet!!

I read and tried your method of shampooing hair. My hair used to be so thick that the only way to wash it was to pile it up high on my head. Old habits die hard...

I guess that I did not realize how much was breakage from the way that I was washing it. When i wash my hair the way that you suggest there was noticably less hair coming out in the shower and less breakage throughout the day. Thank you so much for the info!!

Also I found MSM in the health food store today HOWEVER it was mixed with other ingrediants, can you buy it pure? Or should I look for something else with it?

Jen

Thanks

Jen,
    It probably won't hurt if you take it with other ingredients in it.. but I take mine pure. And I'd suggest looking for the 1000 mg capsules... that way you only have to take two.. rather than more through out the day.

The last time I got mine.. I bought it at GNC... but it was rather expensive... I'd suggest buying on line... You can get some great deals on line!

If you are looking at adding supplements, another AWESOME supplement that can help is Biotin... you want to take a huge dose of it... like 5 g's... but, it will help the individual hairs grow out plumper.. also, it increases the rate of your growth which will counter act your shedding.

Also, I want to tell you about a product that was recommended to me that I have used that is absolutely amazing.. It's called "Megatek". Now, don't call the funny farm on me.. but here is what the product is about...

It is a product, originally created for show horses! Yep.. it is a horse product! See, when horses are ridden alot.. they get "saddle rub".. which is spots where their hair rubs bald. the owner's can't show their horses and expect to win with bald spots... so they use Megatek. They rub it into the areas where the hair has rubbed out (everyday, or a couple of times a day) and it makes the hair grow faster.. I've also noticed that when I use this on my hair, it makes each individual hair shaft thicker... I could tell this after about 3 months of use. I'd look at a hair that shed.. and I had about 1 1/2 inches at the top that was twice the thickness...

You can look on line for this product.. or in a tack shop if you have them in your area. There are two ways to use this.. 1. as a regular conditioner, everytime you wash.. and 2. as a "scalp rub"... just take a small amount at a time, and massage it into your scalp.. work section by section... I usually do this at night before bed.. then wash in the morning... but it is soo light, most days I wouldn't have had to wash it out if I didn't want to.

Now, don't worry.. it's just like a regular conditioner, and it smells good.. kind of tropical coconutty...

Anyway.. just thought I would throw that in there as another suggestion...