Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mod of Diet and Exercise! Maddy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Talking Want To Try Something New? How About Rebounding?

Rebounding using a mini trampoline is becoming very popular at the moment and it's a fun way to exercise; if you are looking for something new to try you might want to consider it.

Research has shown that 10 minutes spent rebounding is an effective an exercise as 30 minutes of jogging! But the beauty of rebounding is you don't get the strain on your knees and joints!!

Also it is THE best form of exercise for getting the circulation moving, improving blood flow and lymph, and getting rid of cellulite;

As a side note this also encourages more circulation to the head and extra blood flow to the hair follicles: great for the hair growth!

Rebounding is the best form of exercise you can do to help eliminate cellulite. When you are at the top of a bounce your body is completely weightless like an astronaut in space. When you come down against the trampoline, gravity exerts a force of 2 to 3 Gs so that bouncing brings a constant rhythm of pressure and release. On the way up gravity closes up the millions of one-way valves which control the flow of lymph. On the way down the internal pressure changes quickly and dramatically, causing them to open and bringing about a surge of lymph so that you set up an internal "massaging motion" which shunts lymph along. Rebounding for 10 minutes a day will surely help eliminate cellulite and you can do it while you watch TV!!

You can buy a rebounder in the UK for about £25.00 and there are rebounding exercise videos to be found on Amazon too!

I have been trying it myself and it is HARD to get 10 minutes in at first, it really does work the thighs and bum and also the stomach because you naturally hold it in while you jump, but it is also a great laugh, a good exercise to do first thing on a Monday morning before work to banish those blues

You could also use it in circuit training to create interval training; as trying to bounce continuously is quite intense exercise
    I finally have healthy ovaries free of cysts!
    Starting a personal walking challenge for charity - 300 miles in 35 days! August - September Hidden Content

have one son, two beautiful grandsons

Thanks

This sounds like fun!! Do you just jump? Or do you have to do special things?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

When I first bought mine I just used to jump on it; but I recently bought a "Cardio Bounce" exercise vid from Amazon - it seemed a little 80s at first but it's really good fun; you do jogging on the spot; bouncing, jumping while doing arm movements; and other moves - so far I have only managed to do 12-15 minutes of the vid and it is 30 minutes long; I either find I get out of breath or end up in giggles! I am hoping to build up the time by a few minutes each week until I can do the whole routine.

Incidentally in the Summer it turns into an outside "toy" for my visiting nephew and neice who have a whale of a time bouncing with it on the lawn!
    Starting a personal walking challenge for charity - 300 miles in 35 days! August - September Hidden Content

Thanks

Sounds great! Is there a weight restriction on it Maddy?
    101.5lbs lost since 10th Nov. 2003
    38cm less of my waist. (Next weigh-in 26th May.)
    231.5/139.5/140 *reached 9/12/04
    139.5/130/133 *reached 3/3/05

Me: 36 DH: 39 - 2 teenage boys
    Dx: October '03
    Metformin 1500mg. Enalapril 80mg (BP) - Simvastatin 40mg (cholesterol) - all part of treatment for kidney disease.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have checked out a few different brands Dreamy;

One that you can buy at Argos for 17.99 has a weight restriction of 225lbs

I have also found two made by Weider; one is 65.00 and the weight restriction is 310lbs

there is another one on their website; but I have had to e-mail them to find out the weight restriction; it is a slightly larger and more expensive one so it probably does have a higher weight restriction

ooh forgot to add: mine is the 17.99 version from ARgos and it is perfectly serviceable

Thanks

oooh, i have one of these! time to get it out from the cellar and make sure i have all the legs for it in one place . thanks for the reminder and the great information, maddy!

jenny
    proud mommy to:
    Winter- 1983-1998
    Tiger- 1986 & Jeroth-1988
    loved by Mark 1994
    stepmommy to:
    Mark- 1988,Josh- 1990 & Kris- 1991

highest weight- 188 in november 2003, now 142!
    hopeful goal weight- 130-135
    joined SC 11-06-2003 under different user name

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

- Â_Carl Bard

Thanks

Brilliant Maddy! Thank you Think I will stick the Argos one on my list of things to get. Sounds like fun and excellent for a break from the normal routines.

Thanks

Oh I'd love to get one of those!

We did trampolin at school, easy-style (not with the salto's etc) and I LOVED it. it was OK even for the bigger kids like me!

I have a TINY apartment however (30 sqaure m). I'd have to rent a new apartment, or throw my elliptical out. Which is not working anyway but I have just received a new wheel...
    Excess on occasion is exhilarating. It prevents moderation from acquiring the deadening effect of a habit. W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It's not a big trampoline daughty, it's a rebounder, a mini trampoline about 3 foot across - but yes, storing these pieces of exercise equipment can present a problem.

The legs come off to make it flat but I couldn't be faffing with that so mine tends to live outside, just under the canopy and I bring it in when I use it. If you have a bed with space underneath it would probably fit under there though!

Running & Biking Fool! christyz's Avatar
    Thanks

Research has shown that 10 minutes spent rebounding is an effective an exercise as 30 minutes of jogging!
    The only place I have seen that claim is on websites of trampoline companies, so I'm skeptical. Calorie-wise it sure isn't as effective.

Scientifically speaking, it's a pretty commonly known standard that Runners burn ~100 calories per mile, so at a 5 mile an hour pace a runner would burn 250 calories in 30 minutes. The trampoline companies claim rebounding 12 mins for a woman my weight would only burn 72 calories, so that claim is pretty off.

By all means have a BLAST rebounding, it's a really fun activity with many benefits. But I figured I better clear up the idea that it's equal to running in 1/3 the time. Calorically, that isn't true.

Enjoy!
    Christy

33 yrs, 1 precious hubby, 2 miracle kids, At Goal Wt for 4 yrs, Trygly's down 445 pts, Free Androgen down from 20 to 2, 3 half 'thons ran, 2 mtns hiked, 1 crazy run in the Rockies, 4 forest trail races, profiled in 2 magazines...1 woman determined to kick PCOS butt!

Hidden Content
    Before & Aug 2007

'08: Duathlon and another half?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think when the articles are suggesting that 10 minutes rebounding is more effective an exercise than jogging they were not necessarily talking about calories but the physical benefits of the exercise overall. But I didn't get the information from the company I bought it from; I got it from Shape Fitness Magazine - there was some information about rebounding in this month's issue.

The information re the cellulite etc came from a book by Leslie Kenton on Tackling Cellulite.

Edited just to add: I've just googled rebounding; to check the info against the Shape Magazine and Leslie Kenton's info and found this on WeightLoss Resources.com (amazingly almost idential to what I wrote - they have even quoted the same exercise tape and commented that it is a bit 80s, lol!)

The only slight difference is that the Shape Magazine Exercise article quoted that 10 minutes rebounding is more effective than a 30 minutes jog whereas WeightLossResources say it is as effective as a 30 minute jog.

Here it is:

Rebounding Exercise Review
    Some people (and NASA!) think rebounding is the best exercise yet. Here's a roundup of the benefits and some comments from rebounding devotees.

Possibly the Perfect Exercise!

It’s fun, it’s easy, and it’s safe for almost anybody of any age… It’s quoted by NASA as “the most efficient and effective exercise yet devised by man”, and you can do it at home whilst watching TV! What is it? Rebounding!

What Is Rebounding?
    Put simply – bouncing on a mini trampoline. Unlike regular trampolining, the aim isn’t to bounce high or perform gymnastic tricks, but to perform a series of small, controlled movements. Sounds too easy? Well, you’ll be pleased to hear that 10 mins on a rebounder is the equivalent of a 30 mins jog!

"Just bought myself a mini trampoline... and what a hoot! It's surprisingly good exercise, and I can have a bounce whilst watching the telly. I'm planning to use it most evenings when I come home from work - I usually just collapse in front of the box” – Sarah X

Benefits of Rebounding
    A zero-impact exercise, rebounding provides many benefits for you and your body:

Improves circulation
    Increases the capacity of heart and lungs
    Lowers cholesterol levels
    Improves co-ordination and balance
    Reduces stress and tension
    Improves muscle tone (particularly legs, thighs, hips, abdomen and arms)
    Increases energy and vitality
    Boosts the lymphatic and immune system
    Fits in with your lifestyle
    AND IS GREAT FUN!
    Plus, unlike many other aerobic activities, rebounding places no strain on the joints of your body.

“I've got a rebounder, I find it's very good for me as I have a knee injury which means I can't run on the ground for any distance. I put on a good CD and bounce along. I find it's good exercise” – Alison G

Who Can Rebound?
    Mums, dads, children, grandparents… Rebounding is suitable for all ages and abilities! Stabilizing bars can be fitted which may help if you feel unsteady or are elderly, disabled or handicapped.

“Having had lots of problems that has prevent me doing any exercise for years due to wheelchair etc, I have discovered the wonders of rebounding! I started in the wheelchair with my feet on it and my husband bouncing. After a week of that I was able to sit on it myself and bounce. I have now progressed to standing whilst holding on to bar and bouncing myself. It has made me feel so much better and I get better at it daily.” - Maria

Buying A Rebounder
    It's the old adage - you get what you pay for... inexpensive models can be stiff and don’t offer adequate cushioning and support.

Invest in a quality rebounder, which boasts:

A stable 6 leg design - cheaper 4 leg models are known to topple over
    Unscrewable legs – for easy storage
    A solid spring system – to ensure adequate support for your joints
    A non-slip mat – for those trickier manoeuvres!
    "To all those wondering whether or not to go ahead and get one... all I can say is DO. Have just bought one and it is fantastic - mainly cos you feel so weightless when exercising rather than pounding along on the treadmill!!! It's really great - get one and try it!" – Jackie

What’s the Cost
    The best rebounder we’ve found is the Reebok Rebounder. It’s a club quality rebounder in a stylish black and silver design (who said appearances don’t matter?!), and will take a person’s weight up to 18 stone. It comes complete with a workout manual, and retails at approx. £50 – the equivalent of just one month’s membership at your local gym, or 10-12 exercise classes.

Think of it as an investment. Rebounding is fun for all the family – if you’ve got kids you might have to fight to get a go! – can be done in the comfort (and privacy) of your own home, will save you transport time and costs, and fits easily around your busy lifestyle. We think this is £50 well spent.

“I bought a rebounder after reading about them on this site - my husband laughed at the idea – but now I can't get him off the thing! It's a really good fun type of exercise!” – Haze

“I've had mine for nearly 2 months now, and I use it every day ... At first, the first few minutes were hard going, … but now I easily do 20 mins while watching a favourite soap, or one of the Sky music channels. And now it's a doddle, and easy too, which suits me LOL...and best of all, I burn about 60 kcal for 20 mins!” – Sharon

Rebounding Exercises
    If you feel you need a more regimented exercise routine – invest in a rebounding video. The best we’ve found online is “Cardio Bounce”. Ok, the 80s music is a little cheesy … but there’s no denying it’s great for keeping the motivation strong!

“I have just bought a video called Cardio Bounce … it is really good! It is a complete workout lasting 45 mins but is split into sections: warmup, aerobics, stretching, etc. It has a section called gentle bounce for if you are not very fit as well. I can definitely recommend it! The music is a bit naff but if you complete all the sections you will really feel you have worked hard!” – Kazzie

Rebounding Works!
    “It's great in front of the telly - you can just get up and do a couple of mins during the adverts! :o) And I figured that £49 wasn't too expensive as the only other thing I needed was a decent sports bra (which I highly recommend). The Reebok one also comes with a basic sheet showing you what sort of exercises you should do, starting with very simple ones. I recommend this too - your legs build up in strength in no time and it has also done the miraculous job of reducing my bum size!” – WLR User

“I read on this site about rebounding and thought I'd give it a go. I have to say that after a few weeks, I'm impressed! I have a medical condition (fibromyalgia) which means there are lots of kinds of exercise that I can't do... but this really works for me. 5-10 minutes in front of the telly every other day or so and my legs, hips and bum are already really firming up. It seems to make me stand straighter and taller. And it's good fun too! Full marks for this one.” – WLR User

“You can even do sit ups on it which I use mine a lot for as it is far more comfortable than doing them on the floor” – Jeanie

“It's great to 'boing' away when you've got a few spare minutes or when you can't get out” – Kareb

“I have just properly started using my rebounder after finally finding an exercise video to use with it called "Cardio Bounce" and I'm loving it!”

you can find this article at
    http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk...ebounding.html

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Just following on from my last post (I have been googling again) I think when the articles are suggesting that 10 minutes rebounding is more effective an exercise than jogging they were not necessarily talking about calories but the physical benefits of the exercise overall.

Though I have googled to compare the calories burned and rebounding does burn more calories on a minute for minute basis (I'm not sure at the moment I could bounce for 30 minutes but then I couldn't run for 30 minutes either, lol)

Here's some more information I just found on a fitness and health website:

Why choose rebounding?

Rebounding is a unique exercise in that you achieve a weightless state at the top of each jump then land with twice the force of gravity on each bounce. This twice-gravity bounce affects every muscle and cell of the body. Researchers at the University of Kentucky, in conjunction with NASA, concluded that "the magnitude of the biomechanical stimuli is greater with jumping on a trampoline than with running."

NASA did research back in the late 70s and 80s, and it discovered that astronauts, after some time in space, would lose close to 14-15% of bone mass. One way the scientists believed that astronauts could get the appropriate strength conditioning to counteract this loss was from rebound exercise. Their research indicated that rebounding was 68% less traumatic to the musculoskeletal system than jogging on a hardwood surface or cement surface. So, their study really gave credibility to rebound exercise as a non-jarring exercise and as something that could maintain the strength of the bones. Besides eating a balanced diet, the single most beneficial thing you could do for your health is “cellular-exercise.” And that’s where gravity plays a large part in boosting the immune system.

Rebounding is also a cellular exercise. The body has sixty-five to maybe eighty trillion cells. Cell strength is enhanced by jumping up and down on the rebounder because of the added G-force of your own body weight. The cells become more resistant and stronger and your immunity is enhanced. Theoretically, if one were to subject himself to twice the normal force of gravity (2 Gs), he would become twice as strong. And not just muscular strong, but strong on a cellular level. Stronger cells are healthier, more resilient disease-fighters.

Because the cells in the body live in an essentially zero-gravity environment, it is necessary to alter the G-force in order for fighting immune system) to reap the full benefits of exercising. Jogging, swimming, or other exercises cannot do this, as they cannot offer the consistent change in gravitational force that is needed. As NASA discovered, rebounding is the only exercise proven to exert the right amount of “pull” on the human body down to the cellular level.

An additional plus is an almost total lack of injuries seen with many other aerobic activities.

Researchers have discovered that jogging and other activities that place a lot of impact on the legs can, over time, cause the skin to actually sag. For this reason, such exercisers have a tendency to develop jowls, sagging breasts, and the like over years of practicing their sport. If your goal is to avoid looking old, then jogging may not be the exercise of choice. Additionally, runners often suffer a number of injuries brought about through strains on their feet, ankles, and knees, as well as falls.

Walking is more ideal in terms of safety and avoidance of aging skin, but it’s not so ideal from a time standpoint. You have to devote far more time walking to gain the health benefits of exercise ( or add weights to the routine to achieve the strenuous activity needed to burn fat).

Rebounding is an effective exercise that reduces your body fat; firms your arms, legs, thighs, abdomen, and hips; increases your agility; strengthens your muscles overall; provides an aerobic effect for your cardiopulmonary systems; rejuvenates your body when it's tired, and generally puts you in a state of mental and physical wellness. A 150-pound person spending one hour on a rebounder will burn about 410 calories; the same person jogging for one hour (at the pace of five miles per hour) will burn only 355 calories.

With rebounding, you are exercising from the inside out. If you’ve been wanting to get into shape or shed those pounds that it seems like you just can’t shake, rebounding will do the trick for you. After just a few weeks or even days, you’ll start to see a difference and feel better.

People who rebound find they are able to work longer, sleep better, and feel less tense and nervous. The effect is not just psychological, because the action of bouncing up and down against gravity effectively stimulates the lymphatic system without trauma to the musculoskeletal system. This unique discovery is central to the reasons Rebounding has become one of the most beneficial forms of exercise ever developed.

Dr. Robert G. Frost, who headed the research team, said this about rebounding:

“It improves the performance of the heart, lungs and lymphatic system. It improves circulation and muscle tone and challenges the skeletal muscles to increase stamina without any of the jarring associated with other aerobic activities. Gravity-plus rebounding is the single most efficient way to improve health. No other exercise can match it.”

Another important aspect – rebounding is fun, and that makes it more likely that you’ll do it.

phew! A bit long but quite informative! I'm not suggesting you should give up all other exercise; I just thought if anyone was looking for another fun exercise to add in ~ why not consider rebounding! And now I've read more about it I shall be adding it into my regular routine a little more often

BTW Did I tell you I'm selling rebounders..... JOKE! But I feel like I should get commission now

Thanks

lol @ commission! You've definately sold it to me, can I have one in pink please ... will match the decor lol

It's pretty perfect for what I am looking for. I want something in the house, infront of the tv and since I can't afford a treadmill ... this seems to be the perfect thing. I can't use the stepper that much anymore as the cartlidge (sp?) in my knee is going ... so this looks set to replace it

Thanks for all the information Maddy!
    101.5lbs lost since 10th Nov. 2003
    38cm less of my waist. (Next weigh-in 26th May.)
    231.5/139.5/140 *reached 9/12/04
    139.5/130/133 *reached 3/3/05

Me: 36 DH: 39 - 2 teenage boys
    Dx: October '03
    Metformin 1500mg. Enalapril 80mg (BP) - Simvastatin 40mg (cholesterol) - all part of treatment for kidney disease.

Running & Biking Fool! christyz's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not trying to disuade any rebounders here either. It is sure a heck of a lot better than sitting on the couch! I have used my girlfriend's rebounder several times and it is a total hoot! But as someone who has done both, while you can definetly feel your quads after 10 minutes on the rebounder, running is far more exertion in terms of heart rate and cardio work. The two just don't compare.

My beef is just with the original statement that rebounding is as efficient than running in 1/3 the time. 10 minutes of any aerobic exercise is not going to have the same overall effect as 30 minutes of another aerobic exercise, and no "data" will convince me otherwise.

I hope you know that I am not trying to personally discredit you in any way, Maddy. I just question the math here...doesn't add up.

And since you are selling them, would you have any red velvet-covered models in stock? I want it for the Study.

Take care!
    Christy

33 yrs, 1 precious hubby, 2 miracle kids, At Goal Wt for 4 yrs, Trygly's down 445 pts, Free Androgen down from 20 to 2, 3 half 'thons ran, 2 mtns hiked, 1 crazy run in the Rockies, 4 forest trail races, profiled in 2 magazines...1 woman determined to kick PCOS butt!

Hidden Content
    Before & Aug 2007

'08: Duathlon and another half?

Thanks

here is the problem i found.... i bought a trampoline a few months ago..weight limit 300...i am about 290...

well ..i guess i am too heavy cause there was no real bounce to the damn thing... and forget excercising..i might have well just been walking in place.

when i weighed in the past about 175 using a trampoline was great and fun..but now its just too hard and non bouncy...

i was so bummmmmed out when i bought one and it sucked this time around..but thats just my story grr xox jenn
    jennifer, 33years old
    long island, new york
    dxd 2001
    searching for new therapies/meds for pcos
    met/gluc not working as well..but on 1000mgxr
    married on 9/28/06 to keith