Thanks

Default root canal.. ear pain..what?? please help

i really need some opinions badly...

long story short i had to have an emergecy root canal about 2 weeks ago after getting a cavity filled..apparently the decay was deeper than thought..and the pain was horrible when drinking or eating..so i go get a root canal... btw.. it was horrible and scary ughs..

so when i am done the endodontist said you wont feel any sensitivity in that tooth..but you will ache for a week or two.

okay.

so fast forward a week or so after... and i think i am getting a horrible ear infection on the same side of the face where i got the root canal ( the canal was on the right side...second from last tooth) i went to the doc who said no ear infection. hmm okay.

this is what the pain is like... stabbbbbing shooting pain in my ear that requires immediate advil and ice. and the advil and ice help it... one day no pain ..the next day on and off horrible pain when the advil wears off.

now... i called the endodontist who said that i need to come in and perhaps the tooth next to it needs a canal too.

i just dont know what to think.... i never had this pain in my ear/jaw before the root canal..so it would make me think that it is tooth related and radiating to my ear.

on the other hand.... why would the other tooth who never gave me problems now be causing sooo much pain???? and the pain doesnt seem to be coming from the teeth.... although my jaw does ache on that side..the pain is in the ear..ache in the jaw.

i have no dental and the first root canal cost me 1200 bucks not to mention the 900 in a couple weeks when i get the crown.

also could the root canal maybe have made my tmj act up???

i havent had this before and i would love to hear any thoughts .... have you had this problem with root canals..or tmj or???? thank you soooooo much!!!! xoxo jenn
    jennifer, 33years old
    long island, new york
    dxd 2001
    searching for new therapies/meds for pcos
    met/gluc not working as well..but on 1000mgxr
    married on 9/28/06 to keith

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Jen,

I have TMJ, and its possible that when you had your root canal, they damaged your jaw. I dunno if you were put to sleep or not for your root canal, but I have heard stories of people having oral surgery and the doctor cranked open their mouths too wide and caused injury to the TM-joint.

I discovered my TMJ because I thought I had an ear infection. I have had chronic ear infections most of my life, but when I went to my ENT, he said I didn't have an infection. He placed his index and middle fingers of both hands on either side of my jaw and asked me to open and close my mouth. When I did, my jaw clicked (I could hear it and feel it) and went slightly to one side.

I had a lot of dental work done when I was younger, plus I had my wisdom teeth pulled when I was like 18 or 19... That's the only thing I can think of, other then I grind my teeth at night and have always done so... TMJ is a possibility, and it is painful sometimes.

Let us know if you find out anything. Best wishes to you.

Thanks

amber , when your tmj acts up..does it feel like an ear infection like i described???

i was awake for the root canal...so they didnt open it too far i think.. xoxo jenn
    jennifer, 33years old
    long island, new york
    dxd 2001

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Jen,

Well, its hard to describe, but that's why I thought I had an ear infection because the pain felt like it was inside my ear.. not in the jaw. That's why it threw me for a loop when he said I didn't have an ear infection but a problem with my TMJ. Sure enough now I notice that it pops and clicks, and sometimes if I yawn and I open my mouth too wide, it hurts deep into my ear... a quick sharp pain *inside* my ear. Personally most of the time its just sore the next day after a ... I guess flare up... But I have never used anything but Aleve to help the immediate pain. Its just really sore the next day like I had chewed gum for 24 hrs straight or something.

But yes the pain is as you described... a sharp pain deep inside the ear... not the jaw where you'd think it'd be for TMJ...

I hope I was of help... My best to you and let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

Thanks

thank you amber.... i appreciate hearing your feedback..
    as far as the root canal... i am having a followup tomorrow cause it still seems sensitive to cold.

i have always had tmj soreness and i also have ear tube problems... but NEVER have i had such a deep ear pain without having an ear infection...so i am still perplexed lol but i am going to be really cautious tomorrow sicne i dotn want another root canal just in case lol

thanks SO much for responding..at least i kwno someone else who has had something similar xo jenn
    jennifer, 33years old
    long island, new york
    dxd 2001

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No worries hon. I'm happy to help in any small way I can. I thought I was gonna have to have a root canal done when I was a little younger, but I talked them into just putting a cap on the tooth instead. It was really sensitive to hot cold and sweet... I think the cap may be cracking, because now and again if I have something sweet like caramel, I feel a little pain in that tooth.

As far as the TMJ thing, I bet you could ask your doc tomorrow when you check up with him/her. Just say you even went to your ENT and found out you didn't have an infection, but there was a pain *inside* your ear. All he'd have to do is get you to open and close your jaw while he had his hands on either side of your face... There's not much they can do I don't think, but its not that bad... It doesn't act up much and I've learned to yawn without opening my mouth the whole way. Haha Can you picture that? hehe

Let me know how it goes tomorrow. Best wishes.

Luke and Ella's Mama spookycyster's Avatar
    Thanks

I worked endo for several years before going to dental hygiene school. It is possible that your TMJ is what is bothering you. Since the tooth that needed the root canal was a molar, you had to have your mouth opened fairly wide. Add in a big, fat doctor's hand and all the drilling and such that is part of a root canal and I can see why you're hurting! I've had several root canals --from grinding due to stress related to dental hygiene school--go figure . My jaw was usually sore for a few days afterwards, simply because I had to open so wide. Go to your follow up tomorrow and see what the endo has to say. He/she can check your TMJ for popping and creaking and recommend treatment from there.

Hope you get to feeling better soon!
    ttc since 1999
    ^i^ 6/00, 8/00, 8/03, 1/05
    multiple failed clomid & inj cycles
    2 failed IVF/ICSI/AH cycles
    Hidden Content a mommy thru the miracle of adoption and biologyHidden Content
    DS 11/03
    DD 3/06
    Surprise baby #3 due 12/07

Thanks

Oh boy, do I feel your pain. I am a history of dental catastrophes, and just last month I had a bad tooth turn into two root canals. The tooth that was hurting showed no signs of problems, so I was sent from the dentist to an endo to a periodontist. I wound up having gum surgery to peel the gum away from the root of the tooth and they found nothing. back to the dentist. They open the tooth next to the problem tooth as it looked 'suspect'. Well, that tooth hadn't hurt me one bit until they touched it and then it was pounding! Wound up back at the the endodontist for a root canal on that tooth, but it didn't help the pain on the original tooth. So needless to say they wound up doing a root canal on the original tooth and the pain finally mostly went away (a month into it now....grrr).

Where I'm hoping this might you is I do have insurance, and this fiasco has cost me $1000 already (even though in my opinion one of the teeth probably wouldn't have needed to be done), and used up my insurance for the year, so I'm not posting or crowning either tooth this year as I can't afford to. The teeth were both still REALLY sensitive when I left the endo and they told me they would still hurt until I had them crowned. When I went back to my regular dentist I was also having a horrible pain in the corner of my jaw. He told me it could be a case of TMJ (I've never had it before) caused by just having my mouth open so much lately and all the novacaine shots I had over the 4 week period. He also told me the teeth shouldn't hurt until crowned, that they were wrong about that, but that they would take some time before all the nerves in the surrounding area calmed down.

Fast forward to now, about 3 weeks later. After being in constant pain for about 6 weeks everything has finally stopped hurting. So I'm guessing it will just take some time for you for everything to go back to normal. I wouldn't worry, though I know how frustrating the pain can be. Sorry for the long reply, just when it comes to strange dental issues (I almost died once from a root canal gone bad and wound up in the hospital and out of work for a month - no joke) there's a good chance I've been there. My dentist can never get over how weird my tooth problems are.

I hope you are feeling better soon!

Thanks

dream..i hope you are feeling better... i dont have insurance and teh root canal was 1200 bucks omg!! sounds like you have had a hard time..erghs!!

amshum and spooky..i am pretty sure i have tmj bc i do pop..and i have to wear a mouth guard due to realllllllllllly bad grindiing..but no one has ever helped beyond that..i think i need to find someone who will

so i went to the endodontist..and apparently i have an abcessed gum right by the tooth that had the root canal. she says its not related to the root canal..but come on..never had this before!!!!! so i have to do antibiotics for it..etc..i thought the swelling was from where the needle went it from the novacaine.

as far as the ear hurting i think maybe the abscess was radiating. but i also do think that all the stress in my jaw was making the tmj worse too.

there is nothing they can really do for tmj besides the night guard i already have right??? i often wake up soooo sore that its advil time.

but at least i know why i was having more pain that i should via the mouth. and i am going to make an appt with a dentist who is holistic meaning..she believes in tmj and how it can cause a whole bunch of problems..now if only i can win the lotto to take care of my teeth huh??? llol

i REALLLLLLLLLLLLLY appreciate the feedback..cause when youare in pain you can feel just so alone xoxoxoxo jenn
    jennifer, 33years old
    long island, new york
    dxd 2001

Luke and Ella's Mama spookycyster's Avatar
    Thanks

One thing they can do for tmj is to prescribe muscle relaxers. They don't like to do it, because it's kind of a last resort thing, but I have heard of it being done.

Personally, I would pop some advil at night before I go to bed, just to be that much further ahead in the pain process, kwim? Just be sure that you eat something first because advil/ibuprofen can be really really hard on your belly.

As for the abcess on the gum....well, it's hard to say if it's related to the root canal or not. Sometimes, these things just happen. I know that sounds trite, but really, they just happen. The anti's will clear that up in no time. The pain you feel in your ear could be from this abcess, so hopefully that pain will go away too.

Editted to add: Watch out for the tooth that you just had the root canal done on. Don't chew anything hard on that side until after you get it crowned. When you remove the nerve, it makes the tooth brittle. Doesn't take much sometimes to break a root canalled tooth! I would say if you can, try to avoid chewing on that side altogether, but that wouldn't be good for your tmj. Just be super careful with that tooth. I'd hate for you to break it and have to have it pulled after all you've been thru.
    ttc since 1999
    ^i^ 6/00, 8/00, 8/03, 1/05
    multiple failed clomid & inj cycles
    2 failed IVF/ICSI/AH cycles
    Hidden Content a mommy thru the miracle of adoption and biologyHidden Content
    DS 11/03
    DD 3/06
    Surprise baby #3 due 12/07

Thanks

thank you for the response.. it will be interesting to see what my new dentist will say at the appointment about tmj etc.

i think takign advil is a great idea but i am so worried about taking it everyday since i am on so many meds that are hard on your liver anyway..

btw your baby is ADORABLE!!!! xo jenn

ps. i havent eaten on that side yet lol i am too afraid to teehee
    jennifer, 33years old
    long island, new york
    dxd 2001