Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

One thing I want to say is, a lot of ppl have their gallbladder out and still have the pain only to find out they have sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. This may be something worth looking into.

StaciieM

Thanks

Default great insight.....

Hello Im new here and also newly diagnosed with PCOS - and to be honest still trying to get my head around it all : )
    I only started Metformin (1500mg daily) 2 months ago - I went to the doctors today as Ive had discomfort in my middle back and tender under my right ribcage for a few weeks - Doc poked and prodded and suspects gallstones so is sending me for diagnostic tests. I am really interested to read everyones experiences as I was wondering if the Met had anything to do with it, I read its not good to take Met if you have liver problems - I dont but was wondering if the Met could trigger something. I have noticed the pain gets really bad after Ive had a few wines but this could just be coinsidence! x

Thanks
    Blog Entries

This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo interesting! I went into hospital over christmas and new year with pain in my right groin and when they were trying to figure out what it was, they also found out that I had gall stones (didnt have and still dont have any symptoms of them)

x
    Stace (29) Hidden Content Jae (34)
    Hidden Content Dills 10 &Hidden Content Harry-Spuds
    Angels Chloe & Nathan 16 wk & Enza-Rose 21 wk
    Norethisterone 5mg
    Metformin 850mg
    FertilCare with Folic Acid
    Floresse -1000mg Pure Star Flower Oil
    B6 100mg
    Magnesium 150mg
    Soy Isoflavones - but havent decided how much
    Raspberry Leaf 12000mg
    Cinnamon sprinkled on everything
    Start weight: Dunno Weight Lost: to be continued

* I been trying to put my facebook link here but it sends the link as me logged in.....?????*

Thanks

Default my exp. w/ gallbladder vs. metformin

I don't know how far back this thread goes but this is my experience w/ my gallbladder...
    I was diagnosed w/ PCOS back in Feb. 2010, I was told that was the reason I was overweight and had an insulin "issue" if I didn't get the weight under control I would end up w/ diabetes along w/ a whole list of medical issues. They put me on Metformin (500 mg once a day for a week and then 2 a day, up to three w/ in a month). After taking Metformin (only one pill) for a week I decided to "stay" w/ the 1 pill because of the stomach issues, etc. I was also put on the "no carb, no sugar" diet.
    Everything was going well until I began to have this pain under my right breast that would grow to my belly, my back and my right shoulder. It would normally happen twenty minutes after I ate. I thought nothing of it really and kept up w/ my meds & my diet.
    I was taken to the ER w/ chest pains and high BP three months later and sent home w/ "anxiety" issues, I went BACK to the ER a few months later w/ MORE chest pains and told that I had "low blood sugar", then again w/ "acid reflux".
    Now, by this time I'd lost 77lbs. I was doing wonderful on the diet, lost all this weight but I felt terrible after I ate, thought to myself "can't win for losing".
    February of this year I was taken to the hospital w/ SEVERE chest pains and high BP. My ER dr. asked "Where the pain was at, exactly" I pointed, he said "Have you ever had your gallbladder or appendix checked out?" I said, "No, I'm only 31, gallbladder issues are for old people." Checked it out, I had A "gallstone".
    My son and I were at the zoo the next weekend, an appt w/ the surgeon had already been made and I had ANOTHER attack (OH, in the meantime my endocronologist stopped my Metformin 2 wks prior because I was out of "danger" of being a diabetic because I was no longer considered "obese") anyway... at the zoo w/ the son when I suffered another "attack" which had me on my knees, I thought I was dieing...
    After the surgery, the dr. said I was a lucky one that the d*mn thing didn't explode, if I would have waited any longer it would have exploded and I wouldn't have been around any longer.
    I had 35 BIG stones, 30 small ones.
    He said: "Gallbladder disease normally happens in women whom lose ALOT of weight and who eat "fatty" foods. He said women who are in the age range of 30-35 are also at high risk."
    I don't know if there is a direct connection between metformin and gallbladder disease, just thought I'd share.
    Last edited by slawrence; 04-01-2011 at 12:07 AM. Reason: accidently hit enter

Thanks

Interesting...I had my gallbladder removed in 2002, gave birth to my DS in 2004, and was dx'd with PCOS in 2006. Maybe there is some connection to women with PCOS having gallbladder problems. I've been on Met since 10/10, had 2 weeks of intense stomache problems, which have all but disappeared now.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I had my gall bladder out a few months ago. I don't think met had anything to do with it, but i suppose it could have. I take it now and still expirence some of the same symptoms I did before having it removed tho.

Something to think about is that doctors and their diagnosis practices aren't always right. My hydrascan and untrasound both came back "Normal" but i was in so much pain and discomfort that me surgeon was SURE it needed to come out. And it did. He said that he could tell just form looking at it when it ca,e out that it was bad.
    Katy IHidden Content My Veteran!
    Ovarian drilling/D&C/Scope on 8/3/2011. Metformin 1000Mg Lost 75lbs using low carb
    BFP!! 12/29/11 (our mircale after 3 years!)
    Blake Gilpin Born 9/3/12.. A big bundle of perfect!
    Current: TTC baby #2- metformin 1000mg, natural cycles

Registered User blubutterfly512's Avatar
    Thanks

This is scary stuff for me. I had a severe gall bladder attack when I was 8 months pregnant with my daughter. They would have taken it out then but I was only 32 weeks and they wanted to keep my daughter in to cook longer. I ended up in the hospital for a week with IV's of heavy anti-biotics, potassium, and obviously fluids. I was sent home (only because I begged and begged) with another weeks worth of heavy duty anti-biotics that made me feel like I was on the bad end of being drunk for a week. I was told to have my gallbladder out after I had my daughter but as I am terrified of being "put under" I have still to schedule the surgery. DD just turned four a week ago. I have little mini pains in my gallbladder when I eat something bad, deep down I know it's just a matter of time before I will have to have it taken out but I'm really scared. I hope the met doesn't hurry the process along.

Thanks

Wanted to pipe in here...I NEVER had gallbladder pain until I started the stupid metformin. I had pain in my fifth month of pregnancy with my first, pain during my second pregnancy (and before I got pregnant the second time) and now I'm up with yet another attack and I am not pregnant. It goes away while I am off the metformin and I've been on it this time for about five months. This is totally retarded, I'm in so much pain, but there is nothing else I can take to get pregnant.

I refuse to have my gallbladder out when I am not symptomatic during a period of time when I am not taking this medicine. No one tells you that when you have your gallbladder removed that you can't have anything greasy or you will be in the bathroom quickly after your meal. That is forever, people! Maybe it is the PCOS, but I find it highly ironic that this only happens when I take metformin. I do think there is a connection, whatever anyone might think. I have a love/hate relationship with metformin, I tell you what!
    Matt (35) and Sherri (34) Married since 2001
    DD1 (S)
    Born 10-28-06 DD2 (J) Born 11-2-08 My Metformin Babies! DD3 (L) Born 7-14-11 Our Adopted Girl! DD4 (E) Born 4-24-2013 Our Foster Girl! DS (N) Born 4-5-14 My Femara Baby! Current meds: NOW Eve Multivitamins, 5,000 IU Vitamin D, 75 mcg Levothyroxin.

“Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!” ― Audrey HepburnHidden Content

Thanks

Gall bladder issues run in my family.... I wasn't even aware that metformin could cause a problem until I came across this post!!!