Thread: FMLA and pcos

Thanks

Question FMLA and pcos

I have a question for cysters in the united states. Have any of you have had to use FMLA for pcos. I'll give you some background on the question. In the past year I've had 3 instances where I needed to go to the emergency room do to pain from cysts in my ovaries. Thank god there hasn't been any damage to my ovaries but when this occurs as many of you know it's excruciating pain. Inalso have extremely heavy menstrual cycles especially when they are extremely late. So bad that I've soaked through clothing at work and have had to go home. At my employer we accrue 1.80 hrs ever pay period of sick time. Which every pay period is every 2 weeks. This works out to be about 3hr a month. So 1 whole sick day it takes about 3 months to accumalate. Now when I've had to go to the emergency room/doctors office (depending if it was business hours or non business hours) for treatment, they suggest I bedrest with my legs elevated give me strong pain medication that make me sleepy. Normally it's 2 days i'm out of work for the cysts and for my menstruation (my menstruation is not every month, more like every other month) I've gotten doctors excuses for my absences and my job still wrote me up for taking what they call personal time. Personal time is when you don't have any sick time available but you won't make it in to work you don't get paid. Now after asking different co-workers i found out I may be eligible for FMLA (Family medical leave act). ost women take this when they go on maternity leave,but i found out it's not just for maternity leave. You can take FMLA whenever you have medical conditon that requires time off from work due to your condition. I'm really worried because everything on my yearly review was great except for this area. I really can't afford o lose my job. Any extra info on this or if any of you have used FMLA for PCOS? Also how did you approach your doctor? The doctor has to fill out some paper work in order for my job to approve the FMLA. Any input is GREATLY appreciated.
    Janine 30
    Jay-R (DH) 42
    Married my sweetheart on 6/15/02
    Mason (DS) 12/12/2006
    Baby #2 on the way Due 9/20/11
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Back in the TTC game! braunnm17's Avatar
    Thanks

Janine: I work in Human Resources, and I administer FMLA for my company. It sounds like you need to apply for an intermittent FMLA to cover these painful cyst episodes. If your doctor can certify that yes you need to be off of work when this situation arises, they should grant you FMLA. The employer has the right to recertify your leave every 30 days, but at least you are protected by FMLA so that you do not lose your job. I would talk to someone in your HR department and request FMLA paperwork from them.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to PM me.
    Hidden Content Nicole
    Me (29) DH (31) - Married 9/16/00
    TTC #1 since 10/02, Dx 3/03
    Male Factor (Varicocele) - Surgery '04 - Latest count 31 million!
    Multiple rounds of clomid
    Multiple rounds of Femara
    Moving on to IVF in Dec '06/Jan '07!
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I have FMLA at work. If you are under a doctor's care for a chronic condition then you are eligible for FMLA. I think if you ask for it for "polycystic ovarian syndrom" you won't get it...but if you ask for it b/c of painful cysts that you have been hospitalized for, ect...then it would be okay. Or even like heavy periods with lots of cramps, anything like that...saying it's for PCOS is vague- but for one particular thing would be better. Just ask for the paper work and like for me they give you two weeks to turn it in, and then go to the doctor and tell them listen I've missed work b/c of this problem, I'm always calling out, I'm in too much pain or whatever the case may be- and ask him to fill it out. I'm sure you won't have a problem. Ask questions let me know I'll help in any way I can.
    Me 21 DH 31
    Married 11-11-03
    Not TTC at this time- but have a 2yr old step daughter!!
    Dx:3-03
    Current Meds: Actually just took myself off of Metformin and Paxil and I'm just taking Spironolactone and eating healthy...I feel 100 times better already!

Thanks

I think it's up to your HR whether they will grant FMLA. I tried to get it when I was having some of the nastier side effects of Glucophage. I was denied FMLA.

Christa
    Dx PCOS Nov 1999, Dx Hidden Content Nov 2000
    Med free since Feb 2001.
    Brief stint on Woman's Precious Jan-Feb 2004--no results.
    Eating Snickers for breakfast on Hidden Content , and it's working!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - See Section 2.10 for blood tests and normal values.
    Hidden Content Can Help You Find Your PCOS-friendly Doctor!
    SoulCyster since August 2001

"Everything is okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."
    -Unknown

Thanks

Default FMLA laws/resources

I do this type of law. I can't give you actual legal advise, but here are some general tips.

FMLA basically can be used for serious health conditions if your employer has 50 or more employees and you have worked the requisite number of hours and for at least one year. A serious health condition is an illness, injury, impairment or some other physical or even mental condition that involves inpatient care in a hospital or other qualifying facility OR that just requires continuing treatment by a doctor. The law is very broad here in its definition so you should be covered.

You can get intermittent leave when necessary (which means you can just take a few hours here and there if that is what is needed). Give notice of this need as soon as possible. The employer may be able to transfer you if intermittent leave would better accomodate its needs.

If you have further questions, or problems, you might seek legal advise or even contact the local office of the federal Secretary of Labor (normally thought of when filing wage and hour violation charges.) The Secretary of Labor enforces the FMLA. It will receive complaints and investigate and try to resolve them. Hopefully, you will be able to resolve this with the benefits or human resources contact at your work, rather than going this route!

You might also check to see if your state has laws about protected leave which can sometimes vary from the federal FMLA protections and might also help you.

Good luck!

Thanks

Default PCOS, Discrimination, and FMLA

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS after having problems related to my period for 7 years. Iíve been put on various Birth Controls. However I still have Migraines every month and they hit 24 hours before my period starts. I also still have vomiting and diarrhea 24 hours before my period starts. I have had and continue to have the symptoms of PCOS.- missed periods, acne, sharp pains in my ovaries before the period starts. I also have cramps a week before my period starts. For the past 7 years-I have had to call in sick one day each month because of these symptoms that I get 24 hours before my period starts.
    I was prompted to get tested for PCOS after years of problems and in May 2007-I had to go to ER because I couldnít stop vomiting, having diarrhea or get rid of a bad headache. I also was having some abdomen pain. The ER Doctor told me to have my ovaries checked out because of my history of bad periods. The day after I went to the ER-my period started.
    I mentioned PCOS to my new Doctor and in June 2007-I was tested. My insulin and male hormones were higher than normal. My pelvic Ultra sound didnít show the cysts, but my ovaries were larger that normal. The hospital technician told me that my large ovaries are common with PCOS patients.
    The main reason I am posting right now is to ask advice about FMLA paperwork. I am going to apply for FMLA because I miss one Ė two days a month due to feeling horrible the day before my period starts. This has caused problems at work despite the fact that I have sick and vacation leave.
    This month I interviewed for a promotion at work and was told last week by my Supervisor, who interviewed me, that the job was given to another candidate even though I was at the top of their list. Then I was told that the job I interviewed for involved intense training and missing work would hamper that training. It was after this conversation that I knew I had to protect myself against discrimination at work.
    My doctorís office is willing to fill out the FMLA for me, but they are asking me to tell them what they should write for me. I am looking for the "appropriate wording" to describe my PCOS and whatís happening to me every month-as this is why I am missing work each month.
    Can someone please help?

Thanks

Yes, at my last job I did have a FMLA for it under intermittent leave. I was suffering from mirgraines which the dr. attributed to the PCOS. I know you are having a different symptom than I did but I beleive that they can't deny it. It would be discrimination.
    Me (Amanda) 23 DH (Mike) 24
    TTC since September 2006
    Metformin 1700mg
    Clomid:
    August 50mg- No O Bust!
    September 100mg- No O Bust!
    November 150mg- Egg didn't pop
    December 150mg & hCG- O'd! But BFN
    January 150mg & hCG- Waiting to O

Thanks

I am currently going through the same thing..except my work place does not have sick day/leave/pay. I currently have one of my out of control day and it can be used for a one sick day with doctor's note but if it was consecutive days, I can still use it but will still have an attendance point given. As of now I don't even know if the HR department will consider my case under FMLA or even the intermittent leave for FMLA. I had this two years ago and was in the ER room from vomiting due to the pain. What they don't understand is that sometimes a follow up is not permitted by the doctors cause most of their diagnois is to either rest, drink plenty of fluids, and take some anti-biotic cause it inflamed into an infection. I'm at the thread of losing my job, cause the first doctor said to return back to work and then I had to go in for more lab work cause i wasn't feeling any better. I've been out for 7 days of work now and I agree that it does depend on how HR perceives it. Last time I had the doctor write out everything and they still denied me and issued an attendance point for it.