Thanks

Default Dandruff / Scalp Problems

I have had probs with my scalp for what seems like an eternity now! It seemed as though I had a dry flaky scalp whenever I washed my hair, and then greasy, oily dandruff the very next day. I used to get out of the shower and my scalp was so dry no matter what I did I couldnt stop it from flaking - I tried everything. I've tried anti-dandruff shampoos, various conditioners, not conditioning, shampooing only once instead of twice, shampooing a millions times, dry scalp shampoos! You name it I tried it! I always came out of the shower applying every product I could find at the time just to get rid of "the white stuff" in my hair. I was just cleaning my bathroom cupboard and found some baby shampoo and while reading the back label, it gave the usual description - cleans baby's scalp without stripping it of its' oil. I thought now that's gotta solve a dry, flaky scalp. I have just got out of the shower and can't believe my eyes - I cannot see a single "white flake" in my entire hair or on my scalp. Has this happened to anyone else? Is it going to last or will I wake up tomorrow covered in dandruff and greasy hair? I'm loving it too much at the moment!!! I just managed to wash my hair in 5 mins instead of 30 - there is still hot water left in the cylinder for other people to have a shower too lol...
    EllaK

Thanks

hmm maybe I'll try that. let me know how it goes a few days down the line to see if it's still working. =D
    Hidden Content Me 32, DH 35Hidden Content
    TTC #1 for many years.
    Daily Medication
    Prenatals
    Metformin - 2500mg
    Folic Acid - 400mg
    Aspirin low-dose - 81mg

Medicated Cycles
    1st/2nd Round Clomid 50/100mg 3-7 No O
    3rd/4th/5th Round 150mg & added Soy 120mg 11-15 - O'd 1 time but BFN

TTC ended for now... IVF our only option, trying natural route while we work on funding IVF

Thanks

Red face i had a problem with this

I had the worst case of scaley dandriff (if you can even call it that) about a year or so ago, before I was diagnosed. it was kinda yellowish and pretty thick....pretty much monster dandriff. i went and got a perscription for some shampoo that had tar in it i think...it smelled terrible but solved the problem so far. luckly for me i have pretty thick hair so it wasnt too visable, just really itchy....i cant remeber what the doc called it but it was pretty crappy....anyone else have any experience with this?
    Caroline Hidden Content

Thanks

yeah, i've had it all; the thin, white; the thick, yellow. non of it is fun, and for me it comes on with stress. i remember my mother, when i was a young teen, having to use a prescribed treatment on me. it took forever and didnt even work well. it was So itchy! i think it was psoriasis that was my problem, but they did call it by other things too.

my 16 yo son now has it, along with severe acne . i'm worried about a possible link to pcos. i will have him try the baby shampoo, and see if that works!

mine seems to be ok right now. i do use nutragena theriputic shampoo myself, when i have the itchies, and once a week, even if i dont itch.

thanks for the tip!

jenny
    proud mommy to:
    Winter- 1983-1998
    Tiger- 1986 & Jeroth-1988
    loved by Mark 1994
    stepmommy to:
    Mark- 1988,Josh- 1990 & Kris- 1991

highest weight- 188 in november 2003, now 142!
    hopeful goal weight- 130-135
    joined SC 11-06-2003 under different user name

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

- _Carl Bard

Thanks

I've had this since childhood. the only thing that works for me is Neutrogena Dandruff Shampoo. It also works for people with psoriasis. The active ingredient that you need to look for in a dandruff product is COAL TAR. You have to use it every shampoo but it feels great!!!
    Christina Grange
    mc july 2002
    changed dr's and diagnosed july 2003
    currently in wk 7 of 30 PCOS study at Baylor in Houston
    Could be on Clomid, Met or both
    5-17-04 round #1, 6-10-04 Ovulated on first round Hidden Content , BFN
    AF finally on my own!!!!!
    6-21-04 round #2
    7-10-04 O'd again 7-21 BFN
    7-27 round #3 w/ dbl clomid

Thanks

Default Re: i had a problem with this

Originally posted by liney
    I had the worst case of scaley dandriff (if you can even call it that) about a year or so ago, before I was diagnosed. it was kinda yellowish and pretty thick....pretty much monster dandriff. i went and got a perscription for some shampoo that had tar in it i think...it smelled terrible but solved the problem so far. luckly for me i have pretty thick hair so it wasnt too visable, just really itchy....i cant remeber what the doc called it but it was pretty crappy....anyone else have any experience with this?
    I have the same exact problem and I use the Neutrogena shampoo as well. It smells like menthol and gives your scalp a tingling feeling when you're finished. Seems to help. I also have really, really dry scaly skin behind my ears. Anybody else have this problem? What have you done for it?

Thanks

I have seborrheic dermatitis. It's a dry, itchy scaly scalp condition. I hate it!

I've noticed in the past couple of weeks that I haven't scratched my scalp at all, and it hasn't been itchy. I think it's from using Selson Blue shampoo (I used it 3 times over a 3 week period).

Give it a try!

Thanks

Hello!

I have had the same problem for a couple of years but about four months ago I tried a new shampoo. I had been using the Neutrogena Coal Tar Shampoo, which worked so-so for me. But I got a new shampoo called Nizoral. I have had no problems at all with dandruff or oily scalp since I started using it. It's the only thing that has helped my head, (and it smells nice!)

Jessie

Thanks

Thank you all so much for your replies... I've been unable to log on for a while, as the computer at work wasn't letting me log in - and my darling puppy has just learnt to climb onto things. She climbed on top of my desk and spilt a drink onto my laptop which blew up the power supply! Anyway I'm back now after all that, and my problem is back also. The baby shampoo thing worked for a little while. It certainly helped with the dry scalp, but the dandruff was returning after a couple of days, and a lot worse than before. All the medicated shampoos haven't worked for me so far. They only work for me if I use them with their matching conditioner, and if I use it every day - and even then the problem returns after a couple of weeks, so I have to swap my shampoo again.

I am at my wits end here. The other day I'd just had enough and had my sister cut half of my hair off. That's another story altogether - I've been so embarrassed about my problem, that I can't go to the hairdresser. So I left it so long that my hair grew half way down my back and I just kept it in a long plait. Every week i kept saying I would go and have it trimmed. I finally couldn't take it any more and realising I would never get to the hairdresser, I had my sister "trim it" for me! Looks alright I guess - better than the hippy do I had before...

Anyway I will go and look for some coal tar shampoos now, but first I have to clean the kitchen as one of the puppies just got inside the rubbish bin and knocked it over, and the other one is about to eat the rabbit!
    EllaK

Thanks

Lightbulb Something that worked for me...

I have that yellow monster stuff too, it's called cradle cap because usually babies get it. What has helped me is taking a comb in the shower with me and raking it against my scalp. Now if your hair is dry and fragile - this is probably not a good idea for you. I did this a lot in college and my roommate who liked to play with my hair said it actually did some good. I haven't done it in awhile but I do scratch pretty hard with my fingernails while shampooing. My whole family has scalp issues and it's hereditary - my mom has psoriasis on her scalp. Also, if you can resist, keep your hands out of your hair as much as possible during the day. This will keep excess oils out and leave your hair cleaner longer.
    Kara
    35 pounds lost in 2005! So close to my goal!
    50****45****40****35****30*****25****20****15**Hidden Content **10****5**** GOAL!
    ~Metformin - 2000 mg~Vitex (off for now)~Prayer, lots of prayer
    St. Gianna, pray for us!